General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Blue Ridge, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 27s
Overall Rank = 296/328
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:50am to drive to Blue Ridge. Went to bed way too late and had two weeks of travel leading up to the event which really threw a kink in my training. That was not the reason I bonked so badly, but it certainly contributed.
Event warmup:

Walked up and down the hill out of the marina a couple times and swam a little bit to get loosened up.
Swim
  • 13m
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Apparently throwing my children around in the pool does not adequately prepare me to perform in a triathlon. This was my own doing -- I really did not put the time in prior to the race and of all three disciplines, the swim got the least attention. I literally did not swim laps other than once or twice in over a year leading up to the race and felt it on the swim. I could only manage about 150 yards of front crawl and did breast the rest of the swim. Luckily this is my background, so I could still hold my own, although it got me quite a bit more winded than expected.
What would you do differently?:

I think this is obvious. Swim more! =)
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

My transition went pretty smoothly, but I was just very winded after the swim, so I went fairly slow because of that. No issues with equipment or stumbling, just trying to catch my breath.

Would like to get Tri-specific shoes (I use my cycling shoes). Would also like to not wear socks, but not really a viable option with my current shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 44s
  • 19.6 miles
  • 14.04 mile/hr
Comments:

These hills really took a toll on me. I could only muster 6mph going up the hills, which killed my average speed and my legs. I would try to make up on the downhills, but unfortunately physics is not on my side when it comes to going up. Although the distance up and down may be equal, the amount of time spent doing each is severely disproportionately NOT in my favor!

Train more on the bike of course. I only rode my bike once in a little over a year. I rode the trainer at the YMCA a bunch, but it just isn't the same. I also think I need a bike fitting. I noticed on the ride that I felt cramped compared to how I felt on the bike at the YMCA and it really seemed to come into play with my riding in this race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Okay, so I know "nothing new on race day" but the hill coming into T2 was a no pass zone, and I was behind someone, so I decided to try to get my feet out of my shoes going into T2 rather than waiting until I was off the bike. I only half-committed though. I unbuckled my shoes, but didn't take my feet out, so when I dismounted, I just had unbuckled shoes on...bad decision! Quickly took them off at that point as I almost bit the dust.

Either commit to taking my feet out of the shoes before dismounting, or leave them on until I get into my spot at T2. Also, there was a huge puddle right where my shoes were, so when I got to my station, I was standing in an inch of water in my socks. That was no fun either putting my shoes on with wet, muddy socks.
Run
  • 46m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 15m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The run has always been my biggest nemesis. This race was certainly no exception. I knew that I did not have the fitness level going in to it, but I didn't plan on the bike taking so much out of my legs. I was only able to run about 7-9 minutes of the entire 5K. The rest of the time was spent walking.

Here's a stretch, but maybe -- RUN MORE! Also, I only ran on the pavement once prior to the race. All run training had been done on the dreadmill. It became painfully obvious very quickly that this was a bad plan. The crowning of the road was something all the supporting muscles in my legs were not prepared for. The dreadmill is comfortably flat at all times, the road was not.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of fluids and fruit at the finish line and then a massage to my legs (which hurt like holy heck, but also felt incredible).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm fat, out of shape (although round is a shape) and I didn't do nearly enough training to prepare for the race.

Event comments:

Although my own planning caused ME to race poorly, GA Multisports has earned a reputation for putting on great races and this was no exception. This is a fairly tough course for a sprint, but that's not a bad thing. I didn't prepare and I paid the price for it. The race was well run with an overabundance of friendly volunteers along the way. I will be back next year! The best part -- I set my PR for this course, and should be able to do so again next year!!!! It's good to set the bar low on my first run at it so I can crush it next time. ;)

Last updated: 2012-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:00 | 600 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 0/328
Performance: Bad
HR - 161 AVG, 169 MAX.
Suit: Jammers
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:44 | 19.6 miles | 14.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/18
HR -- 159 AVG, 176 MAX
Wind: Little
Course: "Rolling" hills. To a Clydesdale, that just means HARD. I played yo-yo with a bunch of people for the first few miles...they'd pass me going up the hills, and I would fly by them on the other side going down. It was an out and back, but we went "out" about 9.8 miles, which made for a 19.6 mile bike course (although race said 18 miles). It was definitely a challenging course, but that's my own lack of riding and extra weight that caused that issue.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:46:43 | 03.11 miles | 15m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/18
HR - 148 AVG, 175 MAX
Course: Uphill to start coming out of T2, then a long steady downhill for about a mile. Then a couple more rolling hills along the way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-25 8:58 PM

Veteran
Canton, GA
Subject: Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed