General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Blue Ridge, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 42s
Overall Rank = 96/328
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/26
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Blue Ridge for the weekend with the family so I got up, had a sandwich and banana and a cup of coffee at 4:00. then I got the family loaded into the van and had my wife drop me off at transistion at 5:20. They went back to sleep a little more and pack up, I got ready to race.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up as it doesn't do me a lot of good. I probably should have gotten in the water and swam a little but I didn't.
Swim
  • 12m 58s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. I need to work on speed. I'm not sure what I can do to improve it other than build on my endurance. This is the first year I have ever swam laps so I am learning and developing as I go.
What would you do differently?:

I can't think of anything other than go faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

I use my running shoes and pedal clips so my T1 is always a little slower. I just can't spend the money on bike shoes right now

Would love to go sockless and not have to put a shirt on but that would cost more money. Not possible right now.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 41s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I have maxed out my bike speed with current equipment so I'm looking to upgrade.

No gel pack next time. This is the second race I've done with a gel pack in the middle of the bike segment. I'm fine until I start running and then I get sick to my stomach.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Since I ride in my running shoes, T2 was quick. Only thing I have to do is rack the bike and put the helmet up, then grab my number belt. Only problem was, I couldnot find the number belt at first becasue some had moved my stuff around in the area. I found it after a brief seach and off I went.
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good coming out of transition but almost immediately started to feel sick to my stomach as I started the run up Marina Rd. The run was torture for me. I trained on as many hills as I could getting ready for the race but I think the gell during the race turned my stomach. This was a run of survival as I didn't start feeling better until about 2.25 miles in. I finished strong and the finish in town was a neat experience.

No more in race gel packs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around town with the family and ran the kids run with my 3 year old when it got started. After lunch we went to the Aska adventure area and hiked up to Falls Branch Falls.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed in swimming, equipment, gel pack.

Event comments:

This was a really well run race. I was extremely impressed with the organization and number of volunteers at all parts of the course. The free kids race with medals for finishers was a really nice touch. The only issue was the bike course length but it wasn't that big of a deal for me since I usually train on much longer rides anyway. I had a great time and would like to come back next year.

Last updated: 2012-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:58 | 600 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 0/328
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back in a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:02:41 | 19.5 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/26
Wind: Little
Course: Course was hilly but that was to be expected. My ride was better than I expected when I drove the course the day before. The ride back in was easier than the ride out. The area past the dam before Morganton was one of the worse hills I've ever ridden but beyond that, everything was managable. Race was advertised as a 18 Mile bike ride but I think they put the turnaround in the wrong place beacuse now they have the results listed with a 19.5 mile ride. It explains why my original time was slower than I expected.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:14 | 03.11 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/26
Performance: Below average
Course: Uphill, then down hill a little, then uphill, then down hill a little, then uphill finish in the center of town.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-27 6:20 PM

Subject: Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed