General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
Door Country Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 24m 3s
Overall Rank = 156/628
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 24/103
Pre-race routine:

Pancakes no meet the night before. Up at 5:30. Breakfast of coffee, milk, waffle, butter, syrup and some gatorade. Took salt tab (K, Ca, Mg). Wife dropped me off. No need to arrive early. Transitions spots pre-assigned and I went through mock transition a couple times day before. Packet pic-up was done on Friday. Morning of I got numbered and picked up timing chip. No line at all. Got organized in transition and then threw my back pack on the grass near transition so I didn't have it in the way.
Event warmup:

Very short run, bike swim in that order. Long time delay to start so no point in getting too warmed up. Also temp was quite warm and water was ~74 F (nice). Did one swim out to first buoy and then back in. I think I was wave 10 so there was ~30 min delay from first group.
Swim
  • 42m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Generally pleased with this result. Nice if this is the average. Would like to improve. Could feel the waves but there was no chop. Easily breathed. A bit of sun on the last section made it challenging to site the shore. Just followed the other swimmers. Also, got quite shallow. Swam till I could touch bottom but still a long run in.
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Suit strippers there. I sat on my suit, which made it hard for the stripper. Gotta get my butt in the air. REMEMBER this.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 29s
  • 56.3 miles
  • 21.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I was good early this time. I know my half pace is gonna be 21 plus miles an hour so I stayed there in the early going till my heart rate stabilized at 142. After that I let the HR go up one beat every 11 miles. I wanted to average 147 (and I did) but I got there too soon in the race. Also undisciplined as demonstrated by variablity. Lots of fast folks on the course but they were inconsistant in pacing. I reacted poorly to this while trying to avoid blocking or drafting penalties. I'm not yet used to riding with some many similarly able folks. Also some grumpy people out there. Very disappointed in average speed given ease of course and my preparation. I expected my efficiency to be much higher. Fluid consumption was pretty good. Got ~2 bottles of gatorade plus took water at every stop. Help digesting the powerbar (which I took as soon as possible). I used water to keep cool also.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I think I had the fastest transition overall. One guy ahead @ 19 seconds. I think no way. Had a great spot in transition. Not all spots created equal.
Run
  • 2h 00m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was super hot. I ran a hard first mile or two to break through the rust. Heart rate got very high ~160 but comfortable. I stayed just below 160 the whole way cuz it felt okay and my pace was slow. Must have been dehydrated. Started suffering late but held together pretty well considering the heat. I dumped multiple glasses of water on my every aid station, which was every mile. Still not enough. I was cooking every time I went into an aid station. Was able to take gatorade a couple times. Got no side aches this time which I'm very happy about. Took much more fluid than usual.
Post race
Warm down:

Very sick after the race. I couldn't even lay down comfortably. Couldn't take in much nutrition. Got in part of a coke and part of a gatorade. Dry heaved it all back up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe hydration. I gave it my best effort on the day. I was well trained and well tapered and my heart numbers were pretty good. I should have been faster. Heat was a factor but I trained on several hot days so I should have been acclimated.

Last updated: 2012-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:17 | 2112 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 56/103
Overall: 404/628
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Straight out 50 m then hard right turn. About 800 m then u-turn. Long stretch heading south then left turn back to shore w/ about 200 m to go.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:39:29 | 56.3 miles | 21.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/103
Overall: 112/628
Performance: Below average
average HR 147 with 179 max (which I am incredulous of)
Wind: None
Course: Single loop. Pretty flat. Mostly good roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:09 | 13.1 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/103
Overall: 170/628
Performance: Average
Average 158 with max 167.
Course: partial out and back with some sections divided. Couple smaller hills. One major hill 20% grade and some trail running
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-31 3:10 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2012-07-31 6:55 PM
in reply to: #4339696

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Great race! Nice times all around, specially the run time in the heat. It was hot with very little shade and a couple of tough hills. Not much shade on the bike course either, so that might have contributed to the rough run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed