General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike with Crank/Bottom Bracket Squeak Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-02 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: New Bike with Crank/Bottom Bracket Squeak

I'm the (motsly) happy owner of a brand new 2012 Trek Madone 4.5.  Bought it from a reputable LBS and have had it about 1.5 months.  This bike has made me think that I might actually like cycling after all .  Except for one thing.  There is a squeak in my crank that has been there since the first week I had it. 

Took it back a couple weeks after buying it and the mechanic took it apart and re-lubed the bearings, etc.  Took it out for a ride the next day and the squeak was still there from the get-go.  Rode it over the weekend, squeaking all the way, and took it back in.  Mechanic said he could take it apart and lube again but it probabaly won't fix it.  He said they changed the way they made some part on this bike a few years ago and it's easy for dirt/etc. to get in and cause the squeak. Gave me a syringe with oil it it to poke down in there to apply still more oil.  Have tried it and it seems to do no good whatsoever.  And yes, I've cleaned/lubed my chain a couple of times and that is not it. 

The squeak is easily duplicated on the road and on the stand, so not some elusive come and go thing. I don't know anyone else whose bike squeaks like this, and it is annoying not only to me, but to others I ride with.   

So my question to the BT cycling collective....is this a "normal" flaw that I should accept and move on, or should I insist the LBS where I bought it figure it out and make it go away?

2012-08-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4343611

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: New Bike with Crank/Bottom Bracket Squeak
Not normal and I wouldn't accept the answer you got from the mechanic.

Although it does sound like it comes from the bottom bracket, it may not... Carbon fiber bikes tend to be like a big resonator box... Make sure the chain ring bolts are tight, also check the rear derailleur pulley wheels, they tend to squeak.

I would take it back to the store and tell them to fix it. You paid good money for a quality bike and shouldn't have to deal with defects like that.
2012-08-02 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thank you!  Kind of thinking that too, but just wanted to make sure I'm not overreacting.  I'd at least like an opinion from another mechanic at the shop, so think I'll engage the sales guy and see if he can help me navigate that. Hear what you are saying about the sound traveling via the carbon, and will check the areas you mentioned.  Again, thanks for the feedback! 
2012-08-02 1:33 PM

squirt - 2012-08-02 1:23 PMTook it back a couple weeks after buying it and the mechanic took it apart and re-lubed the bearings, etc.    Mechanic said he could take it apart and lube again but it probabaly won't fix it.  He said they changed the way they made some part on this bike a few years ago and it's easy for dirt/etc. to get in and cause the squeak.

Isn't the whole point of of a sealed bottom bracket that it doesn't (can't be) need maintenance? If it was cup and bearings I could see him taking it apart and relubbing but with a sealed BB what can he relube. I also thought that the point of a sealed BB was that dirt can't get in there. When they go bad they need replaced. 

2012-08-02 1:39 PM

If it wasn't happening on the stand, I'd bet on poor rear wheel tension.  Lots of things sound like bb squeaks. Have your shop go over the bike for anything that isn't properly tensioned or assembled correctly (including with assembly paste/compound where needed).

Edited by billyymc 2012-08-02 1:39 PM
2012-08-02 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4343823

South Riding, VA
The Madone uses bearing that press directly into the frame, not a sealed bottom bracket. That said, its very likely that the squeak is not coming from the Bottom Bracket.

I would remove the pedals and lube the spindle threads and make sure they are properly torqued on re-install. Also check the quick release skewers and make sure they are tight. Like said earlier the rear derailleur pulleys and chain ring bolts could make these noises, but on a bike that new it seems unlikely.

2012-08-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4343823

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks Sidney!  The mech. said the that's what changed about them...that the seal had some sort of opening left in it thus allowing dirt to get in, whereas the older models (as in a few years back) didn't have that gap.  Thing is, I've ridden alonside other folks who are riding 2012 and 2011 Madone's and their bikes don't squeak.  Since I'm riding the same roads as they do, not prone to off roading in the dirt, and do my best to keep everything nice and clean, I don't see why mine should -- especially from week 1 of owning it.

And thanks to billy & matt!  Thanks to you I'm feeling more confident about insisting they really give it the once over, and hopefully converse a with a bit more of a knowledge base.

Edited by squirt 2012-08-02 1:48 PM
2012-11-11 8:28 PM

Squirt,

Please tell me you've they got to the bottom of this issue, and its not still ongoing?  Trek 4.5 less than 2 months old and Bottom Crank is driving me mad.

Has to be Bottom crank as I removed the chain and it still squeaks.......

I haven't taken it in for repair as yet, but got worried once I saw this post whilst trying to fix the issue on the weekend.

Cheers

2012-11-11 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
Positive it's not your shoe rubbing against the frame? I've had some friends think it was their BB, but it was really the heal of the shoe grazing the frame
2012-11-11 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4494228

User image

Lol, good, I'm not the only one! Whew! That was very embarrassing to take to mybike to  LBS to find out it was the strap of my shoe hitting the crank arm.
2012-11-12 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Have them remove, clean and reinsert the seatpost using the proper lube for that frame and post. I've had lots of bikes where this is what causes the squeaking.

Your shop needs to do better than tell you it's your problem and ignore your requests.

2012-11-12 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Sorry for not reporting back in sooner on this.  With courage gained from the folks advising me here, I took it in to the bike shop again, and asked that a different mechanic take a look.  He did, and removed, and relubed the bottom bracket again, and re-assembled it.  Have not heard a single squeak after that.  It seems like getting the bottom bracket seated properly on the new Madone's is more art than science, because I don't think he really did anything different from the first mechanic.  Since it's a new bike purchased there, they were willing to keep working to fix it for no charge.  Oh, and yes, they could duplicate the squeak up on the stand with no problem...so not a shoe issue in my case.  If it's a new bike and you have bike shop support, I'd definitely keep taking it back until it's not squeaking. 

2012-11-12 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

If it comes back, here is a post I found bikeforums:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/831382-Experience-with-Trek-BB90

Your frame might be out of spec and need the over-sized bearings. 

Edited by wolfador 2012-11-12 11:37 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike with Crank/Bottom Bracket Squeak Rss Feed