Cascade Lakes Race Group, LLC
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 33h 58m 54s
Overall Rank = 136/173
Age Group = Open Mixed
Age Group Rank = 96/120
Pre-race routine:

Got into Diamond lake late because of traffic. Didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked. Next time I will take the whole day off of work.
Event warmup:

Ate a bunch of carbs and tried to hydrate because it was super super super hot.
Run
  • 00m
  • 216.6 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I ran 4 Legs: The first 2 were Legs 4 7.1 and leg 5 8.7 15.8 miles combined. I ran a 8:10 pace. Which considering I've never run more than 10 and it was the heat of the day Pretty good. I got really sick and was out of it for several hours til my hydration and sugar levels returned to normal.

I then ran a 6.7 and a 7.2 mile legs that night and the next morning. I ran the first at a 8:02 and the second at an 8:06. I think I could have run either of these legs much faster if I hadn't been so bonked from the day before but I was pleased with my performance overall.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more fluids during a long hot race like that. Take off my shirt and eat oranges as soon as a finish a long hot run. I started feeling sick and had a hard time getting down water. Oranges literally saved me I was in bad shape after my double leg but oranges changed my state super fast.

I wish I had trained more for this race and will be upping my running overall for next year. I love to be running 7:30s instead of 8s and even better if I could run a 7:00 10k pace by next year. But that will require some serious speed work next year, but seeing as it's my first year as base of 8:06 over 15.8 miles isn't a bad place to start.
Post race
Warm down:

Rested drank fluids. Elevated my legs rolled out my muscles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not used to running in heat and high altitude. Need to get more used to drinking on the run so it doesn't bother me as much. More training of course. and speed work. Need to add in some long runs and get my weekly run milage up.

Event comments:

Super fun race will do it with the same team next year, but part of me would love love love to do this race as an ultra team just to push my limits.

Last updated: 2012-08-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 216.6 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/120
Overall: 0/173
Performance: Good
Leg 4-5 15.8 miles 8:10 pace Leg 16 6.7 Miles 8:02 Leg 26 7.2 Miles 8:06 29.7 total miles
Course: Leg 4-5 were both dirt roads. leg 4 was nice even though it was unsupported because there was no van traffic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes