Canada
27C / 81F
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 16m 34s
Overall Rank = 15/138
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Well, my pre-race routine was kind of ruined by the fact that there was high winds, downpour of rain, and a cancelled swim. We were doing a Duathlon instead - 7.2km run, 56.2km bike, 15km run. My average running mileage the past 6 weeks is about 22km per week, precisely the total I would run today! Boy was I not prepared for this.
My best event is the swim!!!! damn.

Event warmup:

Not let my stuff get blown around? This was going to be interesting on the bike...
Run
  • 29m 35s
  • 7.2 kms
  • 04m 07s  min/km
Comments:

I just tried to stay behind some fast runners and get a nice draft (trust me, the winds were so strong, that getting a draft while running was great). I would guess the sustained winds were around 35kph off the Lake Ontario waterfront, and gusts anywhere between 55 and 65kph.
I took some water and e-load at a couple of aid stations cause it was quite warm despite the wind off the lake.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I felt pretty comfortable here.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Not sure of my T1 time, but just guessing around 30sec.
Very uneventful, just lots of people in transition because of everyone being involved in a duathlon.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 46s
  • 56.2 kms
  • 35.21 km/hr
Comments:

Well, I was worried my legs wouldn't be there, but I think I had them today. 1st AG and 8th overall is another great result for me!
I felt very strong on the first half of the bike (although I am sure everyone did cause we were with the wind!). Second half I started to feel a little uncomfortable. Specifically, my hip flexors and IT band near my hip was getting sore. I think it was mostly from fighting the headwinds all the way back. My effort level was probably a touch too high on the bike, and I would pay for it on the run.
Some notes about my performance on the bike - my average speed is relatively low at 35.2kph. Of course there was winds on the course that were insane, and there was the rain that came mid-way through.
However there was also the bridge. Included in my bike average is me having to dismount at a steel framed bridge that heads out of town, run across the bridge on the side walk, then re-mount and continue the bike. Everyone had to do this do it was an even playing field. We all had to do it on the way back too.
The bridge was about 1km from transition, so I didn't even bother putting my feet in my shoes on the way out until I was past the bridge.
With all that in mind, I would say a 35.2kph average is actually pretty darn good!

Overall I love that my cycling continues to get better. I am going to keep this as a focus over the winter and hope to be one of the strongest riders next year in every race.
What would you do differently?:

Back off a touch on the tail wind portions.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Great transition, but right away I knew my legs were feeling pretty rough.
Coming off the bike and into the run I think I moved from around 25th overall, to about 10th overall.
Run
  • 1h 10m 45s
  • 15 kms
  • 04m 43s  min/km
Comments:

Not so good of a run. Actually, I was probably running decent for about 5km, then it was just "survival". Lucky for me, my survival pace is still reasonably quick so I only lost a few spots in my overall ranking.
I walked every aid station to take in nutrition and try to keep cool. I then ran as best as I could between aid stations.
At on point on the course you cross some train tracks. I got stuck there while a train went by slowly, but not for too long. Some others were stuck for a good 60 seconds.
I am actually totally fine with my performance on this run, because I kind of expected it.
low running mileage, 3 weeks of the past 5 weeks were off with almost zero training, and pushing too hard on the bike.
I think this run would have been totally different if I had a 2km swim at the beginning. I think I would have been great for at least 10km, and then maybe suffered for the last 5km. Anyway, it is what it is. Just have to wait and see if this performance is good enough to qualify me for long course worlds in 2013.
Post race
Warm down:

lots of post race food!!!!

Last updated: 2012-08-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:35 | 07.2 kms | 04m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 25/138
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, one decent hill to climb on this first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:35:46 | 56.2 kms | 35.21 km/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 8/138
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Mostly out and back to Gananoque along HWY 2. Tail wind on the way out.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good