UK Triathlon Forum England » Newbie in Hampshire Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-10 7:55 AM

Hampshire UK
Subject: Newbie in Hampshire

hi all

i,m mark and live in Hampshire just outside Portsmouth. i,m 46 and love to cycle right now i cycle 9.6 miles to work everyday. i have a friend that does TRI and he is always asking if i would like to give it a try so here i go.

i,m 5.11 and weigh 180lbs. i don't have any problems with the cycle part but i think i,m going to struggle with the swim and run. as i,ve never done anything like this but always been into sports i think i can get with the hard training plan i know i,m going to have to put myself through.

i cycle with a Focus cayo 2011 and it takes me about 30mins to cycle 9.6 miles How fast are you guys.

where do i start with the swimming training(i can swim but never really done any distance) what distance do you train at.

i was thinking off training 6 days a week 2 cycling 2 swimming 2 running would this be okay.

any help would be greatly appreciated

2012-08-11 1:41 AM
in reply to: #4356538

Hampshire UK
Subject: RE: Newbie in Hampshire
well i did my first run last night was only 1.8 miles but i had to start some where and i can feel my legs today.
2012-08-21 2:35 AM
in reply to: #4356538

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Newbie in Hampshire

Hi, your cycle speed is fine. your training plan looks ok as well. there is a useful 20 week beginner sprint training plan on this site that I used for preperation for my first race. If you havent swum much before I would highly recommend a couple of lessons and if you can afford it go for 1-2-1 lessons with video. it is amazing how different you look to how you think you are swimming and speeds up the learning process. for the run build up slowly to avoid injury and dont get hung up on how fast you are going. do most of your runs at a pace where you can still hold a conversation rather than fighting to breathe. You probably have reasonable fitness from your cycling so it is all about getting your legs used to running distance.

Try to find a local sprint race to enter early next season as it is probably to late to find one thats not fully booked this year. Gives you a target to train for over the winter. Or enter a duathlon later this year if your running is going well. Good luck

New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » Newbie in Hampshire Rss Feed