General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Journal or Not to Journal this is the question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-19 9:26 PM

New user

Subject: To Journal or Not to Journal this is the question
I'm going to turn 40 next summer and I am planning to attempt an half ironman fall 2013. This will be a great journey for me. I am currently in below average shape but pretty athletic. 5'11" and 262# and my goal is about 190-200# by next fall. I took photos and measured myself. I would like to journal this adventure but not sure how. MY first impression is to write everything down on paper. Now I am thinking to blogging it. The latter may help keep me inspired and focused on my goal. However, I no nothing about blogging. Any suggestions?? I also am planning to start with sprint tris next spring to help learn the sport. I'm just looking for any suggestion you have. I will journal this awesome adventure to keep myself focused and you never know it may inspire someone else also. Thanks!!!Chef.

2012-08-21 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4370494

User image

Subject: RE: To Journal or Not to Journal this is the question
I think blogging about it is a great way to record your progress! The public accountability can be very motivating, even if it's just a few friends and family who read it. If you don't know anything about blogging, just go to blogger.com and sign up. You can have one up and running in minutes. Then it's just up to you to keep posting. This website also has a great training log interface that you can use. I just started with it, but it seems to be pretty cool. Maybe some more experienced users can give us a few tips on some of the more advanced features. Good luck with your journey!
2012-08-21 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Even though I struggle to do it I strongly recommend journaling.  Especially if you are committed to a long term odyssey where your goal is to be very different from the person you used to be once you're done.  It is a great way to build your motivation, document what you've learned, not repeat mistakes, and maybe leave something useful and interesting for loved ones to read at some later date.  And no, you don't have to be dead for that day to come.  I'm a fan of using good old fashioned paper.  You can go cheap and just use composition books like what you used to use in school, or buck up for a leather portfolio with replaceable inserts that you can file once you've filled one up. 

I think blogging is great for accountability and for spreading around what you've learned.  But if your goal is personal growth and transformation you will get more with a private journal where you can write anything you want.  Cheers to you on starting your journey and good luck!

2012-08-26 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
The logs on here serve up a pretty good blog where you can keep track of fitness, eats, and body stats all together. It can also be made public! It's most of all for yourself. I don't care who reads mine but knowing that I'm putting my intentions and trials out there keeps me accountable. And, it's a good way for me to go back in time to see how I've progressed physically and emotionally over time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Journal or Not to Journal this is the question Rss Feed