General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run breathing after the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-29 2:26 PM

User image

Burnsville, MN
Subject: Run breathing after the bike

I have been having issues during several triathlons/duathlons getting my breathing back on the run after the bike.  I can't take full deep breaths, instead I get a sharp pain in my lungs as I inhale that forces me to stop and exhale.  I can usually just run easy and my normal breathing will come back within the first mile of the run.  In my duathlon this past weekend it happened again and was the worst yet.  By the time I was a mile into the run it was getting worse instead of better and I was starting to feel sick and almost started walking.  I finally got my berathing back around mile 2 and was able to run the rest of it out, but by then the run was almost over.  Has anyone else had this type of problem?  Any recommendations on what to do to avoid it?

Here are my Garmin logs from the race. 

Run - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215169546
Bike - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215169552
Run - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215169559

I am pretty sure I lost about 2 minutes because of the breathing issue, which would have been the difference between 4th and 2nd.  Last year on this race I was able to work through the breathing issue in the first half mile and finished the second run faster than the first.

A week prior at an olympic triathlon I was able to get my breathing back under control by the first miles marker.  During a triathlon in June I didn't have any issues at all.  It happened during some races last year as well, but I can't pin down what is the cause.

2012-08-29 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4386642

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Run breathing after the bike
It could actually be a bike fit issue.... causing you to put too much stress on your core, resulting in cramping muscles causing shortness of breath.

Do you have the same problem when you do bricks or is it just in races?
2012-08-29 3:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yes, I have something like that. Only I never get it back during that race. Always needs some recovery first.

For me it's what audiojan was talking about, with bike fit and being too tight up the midsection. The immediate fix was to open that up more. Not quite so low for position and also look at elbow placement to make sure I could breath in well on the bike. The longer term fix was to ride a lot more in the position (one reason to actually train in aero, not just be on that bike). Then my midsection has been able to adapt. I could breath better on the bike, the position was more comfortable, and I haven't had the trouble on the run. If that's the route you go, you might consider gradually stepping down the aggressiveness of the fit as you become used to it. I use a Specialized stem that has angle spacer inserts to adjust the stem angle in addition to the more normal height spacers many bikes have.

2012-08-29 4:16 PM

User image

Burnsville, MN
I have only had the issue during races.  I haven't really done any true bricks during training because I usually have at least 20 minutes between when I bike and when I run.  I was wondering if it may be something with the bike fit and maybe I wasn't getting full use of my lungs on the bike.  I never have any breathing isssues while biking though.
2012-08-29 4:20 PM

Not sure if it would help analyze or not, but why don't you use a heart rate monitor?  I'm a newbie but just recently started using a HRM for training and racing.  I go more on perceived effort but I certainly pay attention to HR to speed up or slow down at times.
2012-08-29 5:00 PM

2012-08-29 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4386944

User image

Elite
Cleveland
mattp734 - 2012-08-29 5:16 PM

I have only had the issue during races.  I haven't really done any true bricks during training because I usually have at least 20 minutes between when I bike and when I run.  I was wondering if it may be something with the bike fit and maybe I wasn't getting full use of my lungs on the bike.  I never have any breathing isssues while biking though.

My first thoughts were bike fit and run posture.
Are you checking your posture at all when this happens? Trying to make sure you are more upright in the torso? Just thinking that perhaps after being bent over on the bike, that maybe you're running hunched over a bit.... just a complete guess.
2012-08-29 8:02 PM

User image

Burnsville, MN

Thanks for all of the responses.

jkintn - 2012-08-29 4:20 PM Not sure if it would help analyze or not, but why don't you use a heart rate monitor? I'm a newbie but just recently started using a HRM for training and racing. I go more on perceived effort but I certainly pay attention to HR to speed up or slow down at times.

I used a heart rate monitor for a while a couple years ago, but decided it wasn't worthwhile for me and quit using it.

I haven't.  This seems unlikely to me due to the specific circumstances when it happens.

cgregg - 2012-08-29 5:22 PM
mattp734 - 2012-08-29 5:16 PM I have only had the issue during races. I haven't really done any true bricks during training because I usually have at least 20 minutes between when I bike and when I run. I was wondering if it may be something with the bike fit and maybe I wasn't getting full use of my lungs on the bike. I never have any breathing isssues while biking though.
My first thoughts were bike fit and run posture. Are you checking your posture at all when this happens? Trying to make sure you are more upright in the torso? Just thinking that perhaps after being bent over on the bike, that maybe you're running hunched over a bit.... just a complete guess.

I hadn't thought about run posture.  I will pay more attention to that next time.

2012-08-29 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts

Where is the pain?? I had something similar happen a few times, I would get a pain
right below my sternum.  Breathing in hurt.  Taking a big breath was worse.  Most occasions were hot days after a long bike and then running, made me think it may have been dehydration induced.   Never did find out and no issues this year.  Good luck, let us know what you find out.

2012-08-30 6:36 AM
in reply to: #4386944

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
mattp734 - 2012-08-29 5:16 PM

I bet you're bike fit is quiet a bit off to start with... that and you're going too hard on the bike for your fitness.

Also, I don't think the bike fit is causing you to not "getting full use of my lungs on the bike", but rather that you're in a position that you core can't sustain, causing you to fatigue and then have reduced ability to exhale
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run breathing after the bike Rss Feed