General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raw...for the most part. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-02 3:33 PM

Subject: Raw...for the most part.

So I decided I am going try all raw fruits and vegetables with  the exception of some baked salmon.  I am going to do it for 1 week starting Monday.  I am only saying a week, because if it turns out to be rough the first few days I know I can talk myself into at least finishing one week.  Hopefully I can continue after that.  Oh...and protein shakes.

I am posting to ... a.) have a little more accountability maybe. b.) get a little advice if someone has it. C.) For fun I guess.

haha

I am working out a lot and even though I eat pretty well I haven't seen results.  I think this is a change I need to attempt.  Wish me luck!

Edited by MTGgirl2020 2012-09-02 3:34 PM

2012-09-02 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4392240

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Raw...for the most part.
good luck!
2012-09-02 5:06 PM

User image

Wesley Chapel , Florida
I am on the TLS weight loss program and that's the way it is check it out. I have been on it 6 weeks today it's real easy to do and I am not a veggie person . I have lost 25 lbs in five weeks and still dropping .
2012-09-02 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4392319

Bigdavebrooks - 2012-09-02 5:06 PM I am on the TLS weight loss program and that's the way it is check it out. I have been on it 6 weeks today it's real easy to do and I am not a veggie person . I have lost 25 lbs in five weeks and still dropping .

That is great news! Thanks

2012-09-03 12:02 PM

New user
Juneau
MTGgirl2020 - 2012-09-02 12:33 PM

I am going to do it for 1 week starting Monday.  I am only saying a week, because if it turns out to be rough the first few days I know I can talk myself into at least finishing one week. 

I did something like this a few months ago and it was very worthwhile, though the first week was a bit rough for me.  After the first week all was well and I was able to go all fruits and vegies in juice form (I have a juicer) for a month.  Lost a bit of weight but the best benefit was how I felt - lots of energy, both mental and physical.

I wish you luck!

2012-09-03 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4393098

I went out and bought a blender.  Made a huge green smoothie for breakfast.  That thing made me so full and it was pretty tasty.  I have a lot of experimenting to do still. 

2012-09-03 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
I'm curious about you endeavour although I'd worry about now getting enough protein.
2012-09-03 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4393284

marina - 2012-09-03 3:13 PM I'm curious about you endeavour although I'd worry about now getting enough protein.

Well I found this article http://vegetarian.about.com/od/beverage1/a/Raw-Food-and-Protein.htm and others like it and have watched some videos.  However, I don't plan to go completely raw.  I am still going to have protein shakes and salmon.  I will probably allow fage yogurt too because I love the stuff and it has lots of protein in it.  Nuts and seeds are permitted as well.

2012-09-04 9:48 AM

Note to self (and all others) EAT! I didn't realize how much food I need to be eating all day long with this plan.  My first night was very difficult because visions of Hamburgers danced in my head.  Today I plan to eat a lot more often to (hopefully) avoid late night hunger and cravings.
2012-09-04 6:09 PM

New user
Juneau
One thing that I found that helped me (a lot) was using a calorie counting application or site.  I never realized how many (or how few) calories I ate daily, as well as the amounts of carbs and protiens.  By using a calorie counting site, i am able to control exactly what I eat and am rarely hungry or needy for carbs or protien (though I would really like some chocolate right now). 

Edited by sacrifice 2012-09-04 6:09 PM
2012-09-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4395291

Counting calories stresses me out then drives me insane.  I start thinking numbers numbers numbes instead of enjoying life.  I just can't do it.  I last two weeks at most. 

All of my life I have never had to worry about what I ate or working out.  The past few years I have been gaining and nothing I do has changed that for me.  I use to think happy thoughts and the weight would fall off.  Now I workout all the time and the weight continues to pile on. 

So here I am eating tons of vegies and fruit.

2012-09-05 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I think what you're doing is a great idea. Raw food (IMO) is definitely the way to go. The health benefit is through the roof. Yes it is hard to stick to, especially if you're living with someone who doesn't eat the way you do. But if you can make it work for you, it is totally worth it. One thing most people don't alway realize is that it's not the protein your body needs, so much as it is the amino acids from the proteins. Most green leafy veggies contain enough 100% useable amino acids that eating animal protein is not necessarily needed to stay strong and healthy. Some of the strongest and healthiest people I know are vegans and raw foodists.

Check out http://rawfoodtalk.com/and pick up Alissa Cohen's book "Living on Live Food". It's a real eye opener. I've been on raw food off and on for several years now and I can tell you that I always, always, always feel sooo much better once I get past the first week or so of detoxing and get into that really awesome raw food groove. If you don't go over board with eating a ton of "heavy" raw foods like the nuts, seeds and dates and the raw food bars, you will loose weight. You will also become very intuitive as to what your body needs from day to day after you've been on raw for a while. It's a great feeling. Getting past the first week or so will not be easy but after you hit the 21 day mark things should level off and become much easier. I mention 21 days because that is how often it takes to get a good taste for whatever we're eating, as you renew your taste buds every 21 days.

Best of luck and if you have any questions please feel free to pst me. I hope this works out for you!

=}
2012-09-05 7:03 PM
in reply to: #4396427

Wow thanks for that I have been wondering if it will get better haha.  I enjoy fruits and vegetables, but I have never made them my main and only course.  The hardest time for me so far is in the evening because that is when I am use to settling down and eating heavy food in front of the computer.
2012-09-09 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
One thing I've found to help you get past the worst of cravings is to eat lots of healthy raw fats like olives, your favorite raw nuts, avacadoes, marinated greens (raw greens marinated in cold pressed olive oil and your favorite flavored vinegar and spices like garlic, etc.) Also spicy foods help too. I like to juice tomatoes carrots and jalapenos. But I'm a spicy foods lover... Another trick I found is that when I'm craving something especially complcated and delicious like pizza or Itallian food, I eat an apple and drink either tomatoe or V-8 juice. For whatever reason, it really satifies my tastes for it.

Very best of luck in sticking to your raw food plan, I think it's an awesome plan. And whatever you do don't let anyone ever tell you that what you're doing is unhealthy! Since when is eating an abundance of fresh produce, nuts and seeds every not healthy!!?? =}

LOL now you're inspiring me to get back on track with my raw food diet!
2012-09-10 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4393284

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm a long time plant based ultra marathoner. I did a raw vegan experiment for three weeks: http://www.runningonthewhiteline.com/2012/05/low-fat-raw-vegan-ultr...

You must eat A LOT. While raw fruits and veggies are extremely healthy, they are also lacking in many things. My goal was 4,000+ cals I day, I believe. That was the main reason I quit, I got sick of eating such a high volume of food. The only reason I quit was the gas.

I followed the 80/10/10 diet and 30bananasaday.com.

About the PRO issue. The two above sources recommend eating many many calories. If you eat 4,000 cals of fruit and veggies, but 10% of that is protein, you are still getting a completely adequate intake of all essential amino acids.

That being said, I noticed no difference between being raw and where I am now. I just focus on eating real, whole food.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raw...for the most part. Rss Feed