Austin, Texas
United States
High Five Events
Total Time = 2h 31m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/
Pre-race routine:

Just going through my transition routines in my head. Pumping up my tires, some light stretching, and finally a Clif mocha gel. Felt great and ready to go.
Swim
  • 30m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Like most tris in Austin went out in age group waves. I was lucky that my wave was third so I got started early. Jumped in the water and it was warm, it felt warmer than 80 degrees. The coarse was one big loop and just had to make sure the bouys were always on your right. Swam well and eventually started catching people from the wave before mine. I missed the last turn buoy so I had to turn around, as I am not one to cut a course. The last turn was very congested, so I just had to fight my way through get under the bridge and sprint to transition. Banged my shin getting out of the water on the steps as I was stubborn and didn't take the volunteers hand to help me out. Not a big deal, just is sore today. My goal was 30 minutes so I was happy with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Push the pace more in the middle of the swim. I got comfortable but was never really pushing it. I am a slow swimmer to begin with, so I should try and push it more.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

My spot was all the way on the other side of transition from the swim exit, so I had a long run. I have to wear my calf sleeves and socks, so that probably took some time. Just need to move faster, I wasn't in any rush really, and saw several people get out of the swim after me but out of transition before me.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Fast three loop course. Had a couple climbs but a really big downhill going down South Congress. I was able to get to 36 MPH at one point, fastest I have ever gone! I was able to pass people on the small climbs, but they went right by me on the flats. My 20 year old road bike is part of the problem, but mostly I need more time riding and pushing it harder in training. They closed most of the roads so there was plenty of room to ride. By my third lap the sprint tri racers were starting to get on their bikes, so the roads were pretty congested. But with all the lanes never got to the point you couldn't pass or were stuck in a group. Great route IMO. Beat my goal of 1:15. Drank all of my water, ate my shot bloks, but didn't feel like eating my sports beans. Just didn't really need them.

Need more time in the saddle, really pushing my training rides.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Left my bike shoes clipped in. Just racked my bike, and put on my running shoes and hat. Long run out of transition, but so much easier than T1.
Run
  • 42m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run for me. Almost a 10K PR, and this was in a tri. I loved the route as it was a mixture of the park and roads. Well marked, water stops every 1.5 miles approximately. I walked the water stops just to ensure I got enough as it was getting hot and I sweat like crazy. I also ended up eating my sports beans on the run, which seemed to help me push the pace more. It was hard to have to run past the finish chute to do my second lap. Hearing the music, and seeing the food made me not want to do that last 3.1 miles. However it did get me to push and I was able to pass a lot of people. I ended up with the third fastest time in my AG, so I was very happy. My goal was 45 minutes, so I was very happy with my run.

Nothing, ran the perfect race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a massage, drank lots of water, had a beer, and enjoyed the music utnil we were allowed to get our bikes out of transition.

Event comments:

I thought this was an awesome race. It was well organized which is to be expected since it was done by High Five events and Jack and Adams. Everyone was so friendly and the course was so well marked I never had an issue. Will definitely be doing this race again and recommend it to anyone looking to do a sprint or olympic distance in the Central Texas area.

Last updated: 2012-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: