General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how do I stop creeping forward on the saddle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-04 6:39 PM

Torquay
Subject: how do I stop creeping forward on the saddle?

I recently had a very long overdue professional bike fit. The bike fitter observed that I gradually creep forward on the saddle - even during a fitting session. It was only after he pointed this out that i realised I do this all the time when I ride both my road and my tri bikes. I never gave it any real thought - I just notice how uncomfotable I am, then shift myself back along the saddle a bit.

Is there a common reason for this? Is there anything I can try to stop it?  The bike fitter was happy with saddle position and didn't think it was a good idea to alter it. But I'm wondering how I'm going to go on a full Iron distance race (on December 9th this year!). My longest ride to date is 120km and by the end of the ride the pressure from the saddle was pretty bad. Have tried a few different saddles but it hasn't made any differece. I'm  looking at a 7hr ride in the race, a long time to be uncomfortable!

Steve

2012-09-04 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4395330

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: how do I stop creeping forward on the saddle?
I was having the same issue.  I ended up tilting the nose of my saddle up just slightly higher than it was.  Problem solved.
2012-09-04 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4395330

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Shouldn't your fitter have addressed this issue with you?  (That's a rhetorical question.)

You could try an Adamo.  If you slide forward too much, you fall off...  (I'm only half joking.  The proper place to ride that saddle is on the end, so if that's naturally where you want to be, it might be worth a try.)

2012-09-04 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4395335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
erinrockrun - 2012-09-04 7:46 PM

I was having the same issue.  I ended up tilting the nose of my saddle up just slightly higher than it was.  Problem solved.

I agree^^ You can always take a measurement of your current saddle position and they try raising the nose by a mm or two. It's amazing how much difference just a few mm can make.
2012-09-04 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4395361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

I know that when I moved my aerobars forward a little bit (j-bend style) that I stopped shifting my weight forward.  While that seemed counter-intuitive to me, it worked.  So maybe your seat position is good for your legs/knees, etc but your reach to the cockpit may need a little fine tuning forward or back.

After my first fit, I made a couple of tweaks based on comfort/position.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how do I stop creeping forward on the saddle? Rss Feed