General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
East Tawas, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 56m 5s
Overall Rank = 49/102
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Fig newtons, coffee, and a banana.
Event warmup:

It was pretty cool in the AM so I just did streached and jog in place.
Swim
  • 44m 6s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was nice and fast for me. I had figured on 50-55 minutes, and beat that easily. Navigation was the key, and I stayed right on my line. Once I rounded the far bouy, the sun was right in my eyes, so sighting became very difficult. However, I figured out that if I kept the sun on my right eyebrow, I kept right on line. I felt really good finishing the swim, which is great for me cause I really am not very comfortable with this leg of the journey.
What would you do differently?:

Get some tinted goggles to help with the sun and sighting.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

I took my time in transition to get the heartrate down and my head in the game. I know I can do transitions faster than this, but with this being my first half IM distance event, I was being extra careful. There is a long run from the beach to transition too. Fastest time in my AG for transition was 3:08.

Nothing. It was a solid transition and accomplished my goals i.e. heartrate down and nothing missed.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind started in our face, and I figured that was cool because it would really push us after the turn halfway. Unfortunaley, the wind turned so I felt like it was a headwind probably 75% of the ride. My powermeter really paid for itself, as I was able to keep a nice steady, comfortable effort, even though by mind and body kept saying GO GO GO!

Put in more mileage ahead of time. Consider wearing real cycling shorts over the tri-suit for the extra padding.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Another solid transition, with my taking a little extra time to change socks and make sure I was mentally in the game. I can probably shave a full minute off this time if I really push it and don't change socks.

Nothing. Sock change was the right call.
Run
  • 2h 09m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I've never run a half of full marathon before. I had put a lot of run training in this spring, but my summer training plans fell apart pretty severly. I knew the run was going to be tough, and I set a goal of 10 minute miles. With training I am confident I can drop this time to 9 or even 8:30 minute miles. Anyway, the run was great until mile 10, and then it became a pure sufferfest. I did execute my plan, which was to walk each aid station. My first 8 miles were between 8:30 and 9:00 minute miles. Around mile 9, my legs just didn't have it in them, and kept getting progressively slower. Other than the aide stations, no walking though. Thank goodness the last mile is right in town though, as there was NO WAY I was going to start walking in front of an audience :-)

Train more for the distance. Work on my hydration and nutrition plan on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, food, drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training over the summer. This race happened because of all the hard work from this winter and spring, not because of anything I did this summer. I need to consider doing fewer sprints and olys, so I can stay on my training plan easier.

Event comments:

What a great place for a first-ever half IM. I would do this again.

Last updated: 2012-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:06 | 1931 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 89/102
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Couse was an out and back, parallel to the beach, in about 6-12 feet of water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:55:06 | 56 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 37/102
Wind: Some
Course: Course is fairly flat. First half of course is a slight uphill. At the 3/4 mark the course splits off onto a side road to try and get one decent hill in. Wind was slightly behind us for the last section, which is also slightly downhill. Rocket ship home!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 64/102
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps. Course is flat and in great shape.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-09 11:11 AM

User image

Lansing, Michigan
Subject: 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man Rss Feed