General Discussion Triathlon Talk » L-Glutamine? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-15 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
Subject: L-Glutamine?
A former roommate of mine recommended taking L-Glutamine powder before and after hard workouts. (She runs marathons.) I bought some two years ago, and only used half of it. (I took a year off because I was starting a business.) The canister says that it expires in May of 2006 - last month.

Here's my question. First of all, does anyone else use this stuff? Does it actually aid in muscle recovery, or do I just THINK that it does? Second, if it expired last month, am I doing myself any good by still taking it, or have all the amino acids "died"? (After the expiration date, is it no longer effective?) I feel bad throwing it out. That stuff was expensive!

2006-06-15 2:33 PM
in reply to: #455579

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Subject: RE: L-Glutamine?
L-Glutamine is great. Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in your muscles. Over 61% of skeletal muscle is glutamine. During intense training, glutamine levels are greatly depleted in your body, which decreases strength, stamina, and recovery. It can take up to 6 days for your levels to return to normal. Supplementation can minimize breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism. Glutamine prevents the breakdown of muscles and helps metabolize body fat and support new muscle growth. It's essential when you are doing intense training, esp long cardio sessions. It also boosts your immune system.

I take it. You should be taking 10-15mg a day in 5mg doses. It's best to take it in the morning and before bedtime. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evenings. You need to take it every day, even on days you aren't training.

As far as the expiration date, since it was just last month, I would go ahead and finish it up. I don't think it will do any harm and it's probably fine.
2006-06-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #455652

User image

Champion

Grams, not milligrams.

Pinata - 2006-06-15 2:33 PM L-Glutamine is great. Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in your muscles. Over 61% of skeletal muscle is glutamine. During intense training, glutamine levels are greatly depleted in your body, which decreases strength, stamina, and recovery. It can take up to 6 days for your levels to return to normal. Supplementation can minimize breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism. Glutamine prevents the breakdown of muscles and helps metabolize body fat and support new muscle growth. It's essential when you are doing intense training, esp long cardio sessions. It also boosts your immune system. I take it. You should be taking 10-15mg a day in 5mg doses. It's best to take it in the morning and before bedtime. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evenings. You need to take it every day, even on days you aren't training. As far as the expiration date, since it was just last month, I would go ahead and finish it up. I don't think it will do any harm and it's probably fine.

2006-06-15 3:28 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

From the research I've done on glutamine there is contriversial evidence on whether or not it is benefical in supporting immune function.  There is not much research on its effect on muscle rebuilding.  I would say it is no more helpful then getting an adequate amount of protein in the diet.   There is negative research to show that glutamine does not enhance glucose uptake by the muscle.  Go to www.gssi.org and type in glutamine and see what gatorade has to say, they have a few good articles.

My fellow PhD buddy is doing a presentation on glutamine/arginine/keto-isocarporic acid this weekend out in las vegas, so i'll have to ask him his take on glutamine and exercise.  You can also post this topic in the nutrition forum and occassinally we have a RD who stops in and answers questions.

2006-06-15 4:10 PM
in reply to: #455663

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
DerekL - 2006-06-15 1:38 PM

Grams, not milligrams.

Yes, sorry, you are right, I always get that mixed up.

As far as the immune boosting effect, I have heard that there is controversial evidence, but until they prove it one way or another with clinical studies then I figure it can't hurt. Unfortunatly most supplements don't have many if any clinical studies on them to support the theoretical research.
2006-06-15 6:20 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Very true.  It can't harm you and since you have it, mind as well use it.  The expiration date is just the half life shelf life of the amino acid.

2006-06-15 9:45 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Glutamine is considered a conditional non-essential amino acid.  What that means is that your body naturally produces glutamine and for the average person they have plenty in their system so supplementing isn't necessary...it's non-essential.  For the endurance athlete however, or potentially anyone with an inadequate intake of calories, carbs or protein,  your body may not be able to keep up with the demand which can result in reduced performance and immune function.  Clinical research has shown that endurance athletes typically have chropnically low blood plasma glutamine levels.  Intense physical exercise drains Glutamine stores faster than the body can replenish them. When this occurs, the body breaks down muscles and becomes catabolic. Clinical evidence supports supplementation with glutamine for recovery, glycogen storage & transport, synthesis of other amino acids and to reduce the catabolic effects of overtraining.  Glutamine supplementation is most effective during those times of high-volume and/or high intensity training, particularly if you are in danger of overtraining syndrome.  Supplementation with 6-8 grams/day of branch-chain amino acids and glutamine has been shown to decrease protein degradation during ultra-distance triathlon competition, decrease exercise induced muscle damage after prolonged running, and improve 40K cycling time trial performance.

Supplement with 4-8 grams of glutamine during a pre-exercise meal approximately 1-2 hours before a long exhaustive training session (e.g. greater than 3 hours).

Supplement with 0.5g (500mg)- 1.0g(1000mg) grams/hour during training in addition to a carbohydrate containing energy replacement drink.

Supplement with at least 5 grams of glutamine immediately post-exercise.

Complete article with supporting references is available HERE  

2006-06-16 12:35 AM

PHOENIX AZ
It is an essential part of my supplementation...I love it and ZMA..........charlie
2006-06-16 7:19 AM
in reply to: #456109

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
TH3_FRB - 2006-06-15 8:45 PM

Glutamine is considered a conditional non-essential amino acid.  What that means is that your body naturally produces glutamine and for the average person they have plenty in their system so supplementing isn't necessary...it's non-essential.  For the endurance athlete however, or potentially anyone with an inadequate intake of calories, carbs or protein,  your body may not be able to keep up with the demand which can result in reduced performance and immune function.  Clinical research has shown that endurance athletes typically have chropnically low blood plasma glutamine levels.  Intense physical exercise drains Glutamine stores faster than the body can replenish them. When this occurs, the body breaks down muscles and becomes catabolic. Clinical evidence supports supplementation with glutamine for recovery, glycogen storage & transport, synthesis of other amino acids and to reduce the catabolic effects of overtraining.  Glutamine supplementation is most effective during those times of high-volume and/or high intensity training, particularly if you are in danger of overtraining syndrome.  Supplementation with 6-8 grams/day of branch-chain amino acids and glutamine has been shown to decrease protein degradation during ultra-distance triathlon competition, decrease exercise induced muscle damage after prolonged running, and improve 40K cycling time trial performance.

Supplement with 4-8 grams of glutamine during a pre-exercise meal approximately 1-2 hours before a long exhaustive training session (e.g. greater than 3 hours).

Supplement with 0.5g (500mg)- 1.0g(1000mg) grams/hour during training in addition to a carbohydrate containing energy replacement drink.

Supplement with at least 5 grams of glutamine immediately post-exercise.

Complete article with supporting references is available HERE  

Your right on. Amino acid work together in the body you will only benefit if you are lacking that particular amino acid. If your body is able to make it or it is added and the other amino acids are present it can help but otherwise your body will just dispose of any extra. It is harder for your digestive system to breakdown and store protiens than say carbs or fats. Therefore you should be careful not to over do supplementation of any kind. If you eat a well balanced diet (which few people do) than you really don't need anything else. It would be smart to look at your current diet, identify those areas where you are not getting enough nutrition and add to or supplement those areas.
2006-06-16 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
I'm beginning to love BT more and more every day. THANK YOU, everyone!
2006-06-16 8:43 PM
in reply to: #456555

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

No problem...that's why we're all here.  Ask lots of questions to learn and offer suggestions and advice when you can.

christyr1978 - 2006-06-16 11:53 AM I'm beginning to love BT more and more every day. THANK YOU, everyone!

2021-04-24 4:53 AM
in reply to: Pinata

Originally posted by Pinata

L-Glutamine is great. Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in your muscles. Over 61% of skeletal muscle is glutamine. During intense training, glutamine levels are greatly depleted in your body, which decreases strength, stamina, and recovery. It can take up to 6 days for your levels to return to normal. Supplementation can minimize breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism. Glutamine prevents the breakdown of muscles and helps metabolize body fat and support new muscle growth. It's essential when you are doing intense training, esp long cardio sessions. It also boosts your immune system.

I take it. You should be taking 10-15mg a day in 5mg doses. It's best to take it in the morning and before bedtime. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evenings. You need to take it every day, even on days you aren't training.

As far as the expiration date, since it was just last month, I would go ahead and finish it up. I don't think it will do any harm and it's probably fine.

Agreed on this one. L-Glutamine user since 2005 ! highly recommended for athlete
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » L-Glutamine? Rss Feed