Cool Breeze Cyclery
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 10s
Overall Rank = 24/
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Up around 6 - nice to sleep in. Ate my usual breakfast and out the door a little late. Got to the race site about 7:05
Event warmup:

Headed straight to transition area - the bike racks were taller than I was use to. Setup my transition area/ Headed to get my timing chip and marked. The lines for timing chips and registration were longish. One I was marked, I ended up running back to my car as my run warmup. Felt pretty good.

Went to the port-a-potty line and it was long so swam some instead. Saw the course and knew it was way longer than advertised. Good swim warmup although getting in and out of the water was a hazard.

Managed to get to the bathroom just in time for my wave start.

We started 15 minutes late which was fair given the lines. And the racks were not big enough...There is a theme here..

Swim
  • 12m 23s
  • 660 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow - rough swim - the first bouy was 125ish yards out and I was in a real maelstrom. Swimming on top of people. I was faster but had to wait until the bouy. After that I picked up the pace. Rounded the second buoy and lowed my head for home. I had no clue where I was in my age group coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Given the race, be in front. Would have saved some time here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Went to the wrong rack again - frankly my head was not in the game

Harder
Bike
  • 35m 36s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I had previewed the course during the week and knew how hard it would be to get much below 36 mins. Too many turns at speed, too many descents/climbs on rough roads. Still rode hard, passed a bunch of folks, although we were spread out. I had no clue where I was in my age group. Kept passing folks in the wave ahead of me. I passed the guy who was second in clydes within the first mile, but still thought I was 2nd or 3rd. Mainly because of the first 200 yards of the swim.

I had one major issue - inbound on 115 there is a light at Presbyterian. It turned red as I was approaching with a volunteer. He needed to wave me through and stop traffic. He did nothing. I passed the car in my lane on the left, into an oncoming but stopped car. Very Frightening but I was not stopping. Needed a cop there or better volunteers.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 41m 3s
Comments:

Good T1 -
Run
  • 25m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Not sure this was a full 5k - if it is then it is a PR for a triathlon 5k. I felt really good and was able to pick up the pace. Good run for me. I was pleased.

Stay with Nick Harvey..
Post race
Warm down:

Very little warm down; waited on results. The results were truly weird. They somehow added 2 mins to every result; which they never explained or announced. My announced time at the rewards was 2 mins faster than my posted time. It made sense since my run felt fast (my run was good) - but why the whole 2 mins?

Event comments:

Would have finished 2nd in my AG instead of the Clydes. Top 3 Clydes were all masters.

I rated the race a 2 because of organization - Examples:

1) Race morning the packet pick up line and chip picket up lines were long - it was a staffing issue.
2) The racks - they were high but my main issue was they put about 2 too many bikes per rack -
3) In the transition area the swim end doubled for the run start - no biggie but there was no signs for the run start. But they did have signs for the bike start/end. I had to ask a volunteer/friend for directions. They did announce this before the race. But it was just strange.
4) Pet Peeve - if you advertise a 500 yard swim then at least make it close - the swim was way off - the back stretch of the triangle was 300 plus yards alone. The swim was a good location in a cove. just needs to be measured accurately.
5) The volunteer at the intersection - needed to be more assertive

Until this year, this was a closed event. Its the first non-Setup event I have run. Its a nice event, decent for beginners (the bike course is plain punishing compared to LKN Sprint that covers much of the same roads). Good time of the year and a season ending event for some. Just needs soem more organization. It was fun. And since it was a non-setup event it was a smaller crowd, and not as competitive

Last updated: 2012-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:23 | 660 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 61/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Roughly a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:36 | 12.4 miles | 20.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 11/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course has three decent (for around here) climbs. In fact the course was better suited for a road bike than a TT bike. Good north head wind on the way out
Road: Rough  Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 41:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:21 | 03.11 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively flat - First 1.8 miles on the corporate campus and then on the trail. Trail was shaded but a little uneven
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes