World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 42m 22s
Overall Rank = 1834/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept well, after our neighbor in Madison quit with the fireworks! Woke up at 3:15 chatted with my Mom who was all ready awake. I had to calm her down, she was getting a bit emotional on me, mostly fearful of the swim portion. I reassured her I would be just fine! I really believed it to! Now if she would have talked to me throughout the day on Friday, I think she would have been more terrified. I was literally in tears most of the day.
Had a bagel with PB and banana and 2 cups of coffee, before it occured to me that maybe I should be drinking some real fluids!
Event warmup:

Does feeling very rushed count as a warmup??
Swim
  • 1h 27m 38s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got in the water after the pros took off, maybe a couple minutes before 7. Decided to swim in the middle past the ski jump, but sat back from the crowd at the front line. After about a minute it occured to me that this wasn't exactly an ideal spot, swimmers were still entering the water and starting to surround me, so the line from the front to the back was becoming nonexistent. I was starting exactly where I didn't want to be, trapped in the middle!!

For the most part though, the contact was a 'gentle' until the first and second bouy, then it became a little more spaced out. I did have to wonder why I spent so much time working on drills and technique because it certaintly wasn't applied during this swim! I think I swam with my head above the water until after the second bouy.

I began to swim to the inside the bouy line on the long stretch but thought the chop was increasing a bit and I was veering too far to the center, so I ended up moving back out into the congestion a bit right at the bouy line. I remember smelling the strong scent of gasoline from the jet ski! It was kind of making me sick. Yuck

One the stretch back to shore I was sighting off this guy to my right. When I looked up we were completely perpendicular to the bouy line! I grabbed his ankle and pulled. He looked up, and I was like, "You're going the wrong way!" He gave me a quick "Thanks" and we were off to the swim exit. :)
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start closer to the bouy line, versus the center? I don't really know.
Transition 1
  • 14m 16s
Comments:

I only had my suimsuit on under my wetsuit. I guess it didn't occur to me that I had to run up the helix and into transition with just my swimsuit on. I was a little self-conscious at first, but quickly decided I didn't give a shit.

The volunteer that helped me in the changing room was amazing!! She layed out my items in perfect order! I also wasn't 'giving a shit' in the change room either, because I stripped down to my nakedness and dried off before getting dressed. Have you ever tried to put on a sports bra wet??? Not really that much fun. Thankfully my personal assistant (aka amazing volunteer) helped me get dressed too.

I'm not committing to another Ironman, so I guess nothing.
Bike
  • 7h 28m 37s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I think the temperature was absolutely perfect for biking. I knew the wind would get a little old throughout the day though. I dropped my chain on a ridiculous, tiny, hill right before Verona. Starting the first loop I took a bite of my protien bar and almost instantly developed a side stich that stayed with me for the next 40 or so miles. If it wasn't for the crowds of crazies going up the hills, I think I would have been in tears. It was hurting pretty bad.

It also made my day when Susie from BT recognized me just reading my name! Too cool!

At the Special Needs stop I dismounted and stretched a bit, and grabbed my new nutrition bottles out of my bag. I had stored them in a cooler completely ignoring the fact it wasn't all that warm outside. They were completely frozen. I couldn't drink out of them for like an hour!

The crowds were slowly dwindling on the second loop but the motivation you get by telling yourself, 'Just one more time!' drives you up those hills. I was still smiling when I headed out of Verona back to Madison.

Of course I thought it took FOREVER to get back! Was that not the longest 12 miles ever??? I was pretty much cursing the wind the entire time.

There was a girl in front of me when we hit the 'No Pass Zone' on the bike trail. As we passed under the bridge I heard her scream. I looked up and watched her bike slip out from underneath her. She landed hard on her hip and I barely managed to maneuver around her without hitting the fence that lined the creek. I heard the girl behind me stop and yell “help” to the volunteers. I was shaking! Her race might have just ended at mile 110 of the bike!

I made it back safe and sound!

Again, I'm not doing Ironman a second time, so nothing differently!
Transition 2
  • 08m 27s
Comments:

Volunteer had to hold my bike while I dismounted. HOLY WOBBLY LEGS! Same thing during this transtion, completely and udderly (IM MOO) awesome volunteers!

I finally peed for the first time all day! Yeah for me!

Run
  • 5h 23m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good the first loop was averaging 11 min/miles. To be honest I think that I should have stopped less at the water stations and just ran straight through. It wasn't until around mile 16 that my stomach was giving me issues. I was taking my chocolate hammer gels up until my special needs stop, where I grabbed a apple cinnamon gel just to 'switch it up'.
Well that was a decision I regretted. My stomach wasn't tolerating much after that. I kept up with my electrolytes and water (possibly too much)but my gel wasn't going down great. The last squeeze of gel I had consumed was right before I dropped my flask on the porta potty floor around mile 18.
I attempted to drink the broth around mile 21, but that brought me all the closer to barfing. That was about the time I quit with all nutrition and couldn't even drink water. Also did anyone else think that the few spot lights on the Lakeshore path was all the more depressing?? I don't think the glow around our neck was enough to illuminate the path very well. ;-)

Yes. I was in my dark place, especially around mile 24.5 when the blind team passed me. Don't get me wrong I was happy for him, but we had been passing each other since mile 40 or so of the bike! I wanted to run. It's just that every time I would walk, I would have to talk myself into running again. Which was getting harder and harder to do! I was so close and I knew I would finish, but I just wanted to be done!

Turning the corner on State Street felt AMAZING!! I decided to give it one last go at running. On the way to the finish there were so many people screaming and cheering all the way to the end. It's like you are their Super Hero for the day!! It feels incredible!!!!!

I have never ran a Marathon before. So I don't know what running 26 miles is 'suppose' to feel like. So maybe next time I would....WAIT!!! I"M NOT DOING ANOTHER IRONMAN!
Post race
Warm down:

Wasn't feeling the greatest. I knew immediately when the family started hugging me I was mentally blocking out a lot of pain. My entire body seemed very sensitive. I would actually cringe when anyone was touching me. Has anyone else experienced this? Very strange.

I wanted to sit, but then sitting didn't feel good. I wanted to walk, but then walking didn't feel good. My stomach was still hurting, so I told the family just to bring me home. We ordered pizza around midnight and I was actually starting to get my appetite back! Yummy

Last updated: 2012-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:27:38 | 4224 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 93/
Overall: 1723/
Performance: Average
Suit: full sleeve wetsuit
Course: 1 loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 14:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:28:37 | 112 miles | 14.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
My heartrate was actually on the low side. Could have I pushed it a more? Yes, definitely. However this was my first and probably only Ironman, so having no idea how I would run the marathon afterward I decided to take it overly easy on the bike.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:23:24 | 26.2 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Course: 2 loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-16 4:43 PM

User image

Oshkosh, WI
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2012-09-16 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4413659

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

Hey Walinda, you IRONMAN, you, GREAT WORK!! 

That guy you saved on the swim was prob SO thankful!  Good job keeping steady and safe on the bike and getting through the GI stuff on the run - that takes tons of MENTAL toughness.  Congrats, sister - you did great!!

2012-09-18 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4413659

User image

Expert
Great Job out there Wallinda (I yelled hi to you on the first loop of the run, but I'm not sure you knew it was me )
2012-09-20 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4417695

User image

Oshkosh, WI
I heard you! I saw you again, but you were looking rough. Frown Glad you made it! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed