General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-09-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: strikyr

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by strikyr

Originally posted by pnelson

Congrats to everyone who participated yesterday and was fortunate enough to finish. Thank you to all the volunteers you guys were absolutely awesome yesterday. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the athletes racing. Wisconsin knows how to do an Ironman! Madison and the surronding counties where the race went through rocked yesterday.

I'm happy to say that I did finish in 14:55:45. The swim was FREAKIN BRUTAL for me. I did it in 2:04, I knew I was going to be slow but that was not a swim it was survival for me. I just made the T1 cutoff of 2:30 by 30 seconds. The volunteers were yelling at us to get the bikes over the line and I did with like 30 seconds to spare.

The bike was good but the wind was terrible out there. I dropped my chain twice, made 3 long stops and had to repair a broken shifter. It came lose luckily the roll of electrical tape I that I bought for 57 cents saved my race. I wound up doing a 7:11 on the bike. I was conservative and I lost time on the stops plus the 3 hills the second time around are very tough. The bike course is challenging enough indeed.

The run went perfectly for me. I did a 5:09 just about what I was expecting. I ran the whole run except for the aid stations and the uphils. I was able to finish strong. One out of three isn't bad. I'll take and I guess Chris was right to be concerned about the wind it made it much more tougher out there yesterday.

I hope everyone had a great race. I really enjoyed being here in Madison it's a great place and the people here are awesome. I'm heading back to NY today but loved every minute of my time out here. Ironman Wisconsin is a great race and I look forward to doing it again in the future.

Solid finish after a tough start and bike. Well played sir, well played.

Glad you like Madison and the race. Looking forward to having you come back and race again.

• ..let me know if you need any further road condition updates...I'm here to help.

• -Peter

Peter thanks and can you please lobby for someone out there to repave Stagecoach Rd. We have some bad roads here on Long Island but man Stagecoach was as rough as any road I ever road on LOL! I think I'll need to check every bolt on my bike before I get back on it to ride after this IM.

Sure thing. I'd like to, but the issue is that there is a gravel mine at the west end of the road (the blue lake you might have noticed), so there are gravel trucks driving on it daily. It would be nice if they could tar and pea-gravel it again like they did a few years ago. We'll see if that happens.

Glad you enjoyed Wisconsin. Come back early and often...great place to visit, with or without a triathlon.

2013-09-14 7:16 AM
    in reply to: pnelson

I did it! I am an Ironman. Wow, what an incredible experience. I can honestly say this was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. It was transformative and makes me believe that I can achieve anything I set my mind to.

Training went in fits and starts. Swimming was the only constant. Running was okay although a right foot neuroma caused quite a bit of discomfort. I basically started biking from scratch in January. I did my best to try and follow loosely one of the Be Iron Fit programs. I looked at it as a general guide more than a must do directive.

Race day was exciting but uncertain. I had no idea whether or not I had the strength to complete the event. I knew I could do each individually but consecutively was a huge unknown. This would be my longest bike rider ever, too.

Swim
    The swim went better than I expected. I have been suffering from persistent, severe calf cramps in every OWS starting around mile 1. My goal was to get through the swim with no cramping. I concentrated on maintaining a smooth stroke, sighting, and trying to find bits of open space to swim. I had a couple of near cramps and one major cramp at the exit area. Thankfully two volunteers helped me out of the water and pushed my leg down to relieve the cramp. Off I went to get peeled and run to t T1.

Bike
    The bike leg was my main concern. I wasn’t certain I would meet the 1:30 cut time, especially given the hills. I had never ridden or even driven the bike course so it was a complete unknown. The first loop went well and I thought the course was not too bad. Yes, there were three substantial hills but nothing terrible. I made the 1:30 cut time with an hour to spare! Hooray. One small victory. I was going to be an Ironman!

Things changed around mile 70. Another rider came up beside me way too close clipped my wheels and took me down really hard! WTF! It was an open stretch of the course, flat and no obstructions. I can’t figure out what happened. It was over in a split second. All of a sudden there was another rider literally shoulder to shoulder. I went down really hard and she looked back briefly and kept on going. She knew she took me down.
    Luckily two support crews and a Trek bike crew stopped. Another rider stopped as well and was concerned. He was so thoughtful to give up precious time on his big day. I implored him to get going and not compromise his day. He finally went on. The bike crew checked out my bike and said it was okay to ride. A little bent but nothing fatal. I landed really hard on my head and left side. My elbow was bleeding a river to the ground, my ribs severely bruised as were my thigh and hips. Frick. But I had my mind. I collected myself. The support crew wrapped up my elbow and after about half an hour I got back on to continue the bike leg.

The remaining forty or so miles hurt! No aero for me. Slow and upright. Made the 5:30 cut time with about half an hour to spare.
    T2 hurt. Couldn’t breathe or bend over or pull on new socks. Thank goodness for the volunteers. They are angels.

Run
    Slow and painful. Couldn’t take anything but shallow breaths. Shuffled the first 15 miles or so. Thankfully I saw my husband on the run leg and told him what happened. (He was having an awesome day! He kicked butt on the swim and bike and was making good time on the run.) I ended up walking the last nine miles or so. I was exhausted and just couldn’t run anymore.

I finished just under 16 hours. Somewhere in the 15:40 range. Not a great time by any means, but I am proud to have gritted it out and not quit. It would have killed me to quit. I would never have forgiven myself. Pain is only temporary but regret lasts a lifetime. Grit and determination.
    We registered for IM 2014! Now I know what I need to do to prepare for a strong 2014 event.

The whole weekend was amazing. The volunteers are wonderful. The organization of the event was first class. The crowds were the best. Their enthusiasm and support kept me going. It is a stroke of genius to print each athlete’s name on her or his race bib. Loved hearing people call me out and cheer me on my name. Lovely.

All in all it was worth every ache and pain. It will probably take me a month to fully heal from the crash. I am itching to get back in the saddle and formulate a game plan for next year. In the meantime I have Twin Cities Marathon and Marine Corp Marathon to look forward to in October.

Who's in for IMWI 2014?!
    2013-09-15 12:10 PM
    in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Master
    Bloomington, MN
    Wow, congrats on your IM finish, what a story! I have registered for 2014; but not received my final registration email. Not sure what is going on with that. Congrats again!
    2013-09-15 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Originally posted by sthoresen

I did it! I am an Ironman. Wow, what an incredible experience. I can honestly say this was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. It was transformative and makes me believe that I can achieve anything I set my mind to.

Training went in fits and starts. Swimming was the only constant. Running was okay although a right foot neuroma caused quite a bit of discomfort. I basically started biking from scratch in January. I did my best to try and follow loosely one of the Be Iron Fit programs. I looked at it as a general guide more than a must do directive.

Race day was exciting but uncertain. I had no idea whether or not I had the strength to complete the event. I knew I could do each individually but consecutively was a huge unknown. This would be my longest bike rider ever, too.

Swim
    The swim went better than I expected. I have been suffering from persistent, severe calf cramps in every OWS starting around mile 1. My goal was to get through the swim with no cramping. I concentrated on maintaining a smooth stroke, sighting, and trying to find bits of open space to swim. I had a couple of near cramps and one major cramp at the exit area. Thankfully two volunteers helped me out of the water and pushed my leg down to relieve the cramp. Off I went to get peeled and run to t T1.

Bike
    The bike leg was my main concern. I wasn’t certain I would meet the 1:30 cut time, especially given the hills. I had never ridden or even driven the bike course so it was a complete unknown. The first loop went well and I thought the course was not too bad. Yes, there were three substantial hills but nothing terrible. I made the 1:30 cut time with an hour to spare! Hooray. One small victory. I was going to be an Ironman!

Things changed around mile 70. Another rider came up beside me way too close clipped my wheels and took me down really hard! WTF! It was an open stretch of the course, flat and no obstructions. I can’t figure out what happened. It was over in a split second. All of a sudden there was another rider literally shoulder to shoulder. I went down really hard and she looked back briefly and kept on going. She knew she took me down.
    Luckily two support crews and a Trek bike crew stopped. Another rider stopped as well and was concerned. He was so thoughtful to give up precious time on his big day. I implored him to get going and not compromise his day. He finally went on. The bike crew checked out my bike and said it was okay to ride. A little bent but nothing fatal. I landed really hard on my head and left side. My elbow was bleeding a river to the ground, my ribs severely bruised as were my thigh and hips. Frick. But I had my mind. I collected myself. The support crew wrapped up my elbow and after about half an hour I got back on to continue the bike leg.

The remaining forty or so miles hurt! No aero for me. Slow and upright. Made the 5:30 cut time with about half an hour to spare.
    T2 hurt. Couldn’t breathe or bend over or pull on new socks. Thank goodness for the volunteers. They are angels.

Run
    Slow and painful. Couldn’t take anything but shallow breaths. Shuffled the first 15 miles or so. Thankfully I saw my husband on the run leg and told him what happened. (He was having an awesome day! He kicked butt on the swim and bike and was making good time on the run.) I ended up walking the last nine miles or so. I was exhausted and just couldn’t run anymore.

I finished just under 16 hours. Somewhere in the 15:40 range. Not a great time by any means, but I am proud to have gritted it out and not quit. It would have killed me to quit. I would never have forgiven myself. Pain is only temporary but regret lasts a lifetime. Grit and determination.
    We registered for IM 2014! Now I know what I need to do to prepare for a strong 2014 event.

The whole weekend was amazing. The volunteers are wonderful. The organization of the event was first class. The crowds were the best. Their enthusiasm and support kept me going. It is a stroke of genius to print each athlete’s name on her or his race bib. Loved hearing people call me out and cheer me on my name. Lovely.

All in all it was worth every ache and pain. It will probably take me a month to fully heal from the crash. I am itching to get back in the saddle and formulate a game plan for next year. In the meantime I have Twin Cities Marathon and Marine Corp Marathon to look forward to in October.

Who's in for IMWI 2014?!

Susan congrats Ironman! What a great summary of your race and I'm so happy to hear that you finished especially after what happened on the bike. That person should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for doing that and not stopping. You did a great job of hanging in there and getting the job done and you should be very proud of yourself. Good luck with your training for IMWI 2014 as much as I loved doing Wisconsin I will be headed to Mont Tremblant for 2014 to do IM there but I will definitely be coming back to Wisconsin to do another IM. It was awesome!
    2013-09-15 8:12 PM

Thanks, Tony! I am on the mend for sure and look forward to getting back to training this week. Did an hour on the Kinetic this morning. Felt wonderful to get the legs going and sweat a little.

What's your training plan for next year?

2013-09-15 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Susan probably do the same thing I did last year getting ready for IMWI but I'll start in Nov. instead of Dec. I think I will do the Jorge Rodriguez winter cycling program like I did last year and use the Iron Fit intermediate and competitive training plans for Ironman Mont Tremblant. My biggest focus will be to improve my swimming. However after surving the swim in Wisconsin this year I feel like I can swim in any conditions lol. Good luck with your training for IMWI 2014, since you finished this year now your goal is to improve on your time and get faster. I will be trying to do the same.

2013-09-16 12:19 PM

User image

Regular
    Grand Rapids, MI USA
    OH BABY. Signed up for IMWI 2014. What did I just do? I have a feeling knowing me, I am one and done. Lets do this!
    2013-09-16 1:27 PM
    in reply to: drbnd

User image

Saint Paul, MN
    Originally posted by drbnd

OH BABY. Signed up for IMWI 2014. What did I just do? I have a feeling knowing me, I am one and done. Lets do this!

I signed up as well. I get excited and nervous every time I think about it.
    2013-09-16 3:16 PM
    in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Regular
    Morton IL
    I signed on for next year as well. Nervous now almost a year out.... Should be fun.
    2013-09-17 4:40 AM

User image

can't we start a new thread for IMWI 2014?
    2013-09-17 4:45 AM

User image

Swim

Bike

Run

Who's in for IMWI 2014?!

Susan congrats Ironman! What a great summary of your race and I'm so happy to hear that you finished especially after what happened on the bike. That person should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for doing that and not stopping. You did a great job of hanging in there and getting the job done and you should be very proud of yourself. Good luck with your training for IMWI 2014 as much as I loved doing Wisconsin I will be headed to Mont Tremblant for 2014 to do IM there but I will definitely be coming back to Wisconsin to do another IM. It was awesome!

wow, that's terrible on the bike!! I hope they caught that person. Just think she will forever be haunted by the vision of you going down on the bike, and her not having the humanity to stop, yuk!! She'll never know if you finished or not, how horrible to live with that. I'm glad you hung in there and finished, awesome accomplishment!

2013-09-17 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
    Mukwonago, WI

Bike

I was the first motorcycle that stopped to help you out. I'm so glad you were able to get back on the course! I was really worried that you were done when you said that you impacted your head and that you were having pain to your head. But you were pretty adamant that you were getting back on your bike.... This is what makes you an IRONMAN!

Congratulations IRONMAN!
    2013-09-18 4:58 AM
    in reply to: WI_tri_guy

WI Tri Guy: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were awesome. So kind and thoughtful. When I recounted the event to my spouse I specifically mentioned the motorcycle crew. I remember being concerned about losing my hair tie and asking you if you had a spare not realizing you did not have head hair! I think you thought I was joking. It was pretty funny. I am on the mend for sure. Ribs still hurt and can't take a deep breath but bruises and elbow wound are healing. You guys were great. So thankful for the assistance.

Now, it's on to 2014!
    2013-09-18 6:52 AM

User image

Veteran
    Mukwonago, WI

WI Tri Guy: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were awesome. So kind and thoughtful. When I recounted the event to my spouse I specifically mentioned the motorcycle crew. I remember being concerned about losing my hair tie and asking you if you had a spare not realizing you did not have head hair! I think you thought I was joking. It was pretty funny. I am on the mend for sure. Ribs still hurt and can't take a deep breath but bruises and elbow wound are healing. You guys were great. So thankful for the assistance.

Now, it's on to 2014!

Yep that was me... the bald guy with no hair tie I'm glad you're on the mend, it was a pretty bad crash. You certainly earned that IMWI finish the hard way. I'll see you out there next year!
    2013-09-22 6:07 PM
    in reply to: WI_tri_guy

In case anyone is still reading this Ironman Wisconsin 2013 post, I just...finally...posted my race report. At least I finished it before IMWI 2014.
    2013-09-23 9:41 AM
    in reply to: pnelson

Iron Donkey
    , Wisconsin

Originally posted by pnelson In case anyone is still reading this Ironman Wisconsin 2013 post, I just...finally...posted my race report. At least I finished it before IMWI 2014.

heh!  I still haven't completed mine.  I'm considering not even doing an RR, but, still thinking about how to approach the writing.

2013-10-01 9:09 AM
    in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Veteran
    Germantown, WI
    Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Originally posted by pnelson In case anyone is still reading this Ironman Wisconsin 2013 post, I just...finally...posted my race report. At least I finished it before IMWI 2014.

heh!  I still haven't completed mine.  I'm considering not even doing an RR, but, still thinking about how to approach the writing.

Yes, I have not done mine either. It will get done - eventually.
    2013-11-06 7:43 AM
    in reply to: kbreitz

User image

Expert
    Menomonee Falls, WI

And I'm still patiently waiting for some fine reading from the two aforementioned donkey's above.

New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24