United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Men
Age Group Rank = 25/29
Pre-race routine:

Had a banana and some water about 2 hours before. My appetite still wasn't there due to stomach bug. I didn't each much during the day. Maybe half of what I normally do. I skipped yesterday and today's runs so my legs would at least be fresh.
Event warmup:

Rode the course for about 20 minutes. Did a couple surges. Grabbed some water.
Bike
  • 24m 26s
  • 9.27 miles
  • 22.76 mile/hr
Comments:

This reminded me of running a 5k: it's all out from the get-go. I tried to keep an even, but hard, effort throughout. It was pretty much trial and error not having done this before. As I got towards the end I tried to give it my all. Misjudged the final stretch, so I had to give it my all twice! I was huffing and puffing and wheezing. I stayed on the white stripe the entire distance. It seemed to be where the smoothe asphalt was. My aero helmet was great, the fit was perfect, it was just very warm. I had sweat just pouring off my face. Need a sweatband for next time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except more training. But I was glad to get this ride in so I could get a baseline time and build from there for next season.
Post race
Warm down:

Spun in an easy gear for a few loops at the turn around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having ridden much this year. I've ridden about 300 miles total this year. 100 of that was just within the last couple weeks.

Event comments:

Nice grass-roots type race. Put on by St.Pete Bicycle, where I bought my P5. They comped me the race fee which was a nice gesture. I was anxious going into this as I've barely ridden all year and there were some seriously fast riders here. I wound up towards the bottom of the standings but I was very happy with my result. Now I have a number to build off for next year. I haven't done very many of these all-out efforts, so I'd like to incorporate more into my training.

Last updated: 2012-09-22 12:00 AM
Biking
00:24:26 | 9.27 miles | 22.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/29
Overall: 29/
Performance: Good
Forgot my Garmin at home so I have no data.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back from the north beach parking lot. Kind of a crooked 'v' shape course. Slight wind on the last dogleg back. Otherwise nice and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-22 6:07 AM

New user

Subject: Fort Desoto Time Trial Series #8

2012-09-22 6:41 AM
in reply to: #4423137

User image

Veteran
Wesley Chapel, FL
Subject: RE: Fort Desoto Time Trial Series #8
They do put on a good race and the course is flat and fast as you have probably seen by some of the top times.   (There is usually a good headwind also.)   I am no where near those guys with my time.  I missed the last two time trials this year and was bummed out.  I have done this for the last three years and am looking forward to next years races. 
2012-09-22 6:49 AM

New user

Were those your course videos on YouTube? Just noticed your username. They were good to watch to get a feel for the course. I had a great time and can't wait till next season.

Steve

2012-09-22 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Wesley Chapel, FL
Those were my videos on youtube.  Kind of boring but I had this new gopro camera to try out.  My first one is always horrible because I run Gasparilla half marathon the week before.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Desoto Time Trial Series #8 Rss Feed