General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-22 4:19 PM

New user
Subject: wetsuit or not?
Hi all....I am training for my first sprint (Aug 8) and am wondering what everyone thinks about wetsuits. I started a beginner tri group and swam in a wetsuit with the group twice. I have also swam in the same open water sans wetsuit with no problem. People are saying that wearing suits add speed, and help with bouyancy if (when) you get jostled around and pushed under. I am comfortable in the water, no problem swimming the 500 metres, I think the panic factor will be low...but have never swam an open water race (or any other for that matter). So what do people think, are the advantages to wearing a wetsuit significant? (it also seems to take me an unnaturally long time to get the wetsuit off!)

Thoughts?

2004-06-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: #33080

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: wetsuit or not?
Where is your race?
2004-06-22 9:00 PM

I have now become a sworn believer in my wetsuit. The added bouyancy has tremendously increase my swimming ability. With my wetsuit two weeks ago, I swam 500m in under 7:00. Usually I am about 9:00-9:30 for the same distance in the pool. I can feel the difference in my feet. Instead of swimming "uphill", I am now flat. I am now dreading the one race I have this year that is not wetsuit legal. I say, if you can wear it, do it!
2004-06-23 8:51 AM
in reply to: #33082

New user
My race is in sunny Ontario. It will be quite warm in August, in fact is quite warm now. I've swum without one in open water and have not been cold.
2004-06-23 9:56 AM

User image

Vienna, Austria

I'm certainly not an expert (I have finished my first sprint tri last week - without a wetsuit), but I'd remind you of the fact that the time you gained wearing the wetsuit will perhaps be lost in trying to get the thing off again in T1? If you feel fine without it, I wouldn't wear one!

Judith

2004-06-23 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
I've only done one tri also. I had every intention of wearing a wetsuit, and I got to my race and no one else (3,000 people racing) had one since it was almost 100 degrees out. I was fine without it.

2004-06-23 4:29 PM

User image

I would bring it along regardless. especially if you have trained in it. You never know what kind of conditions you will encounter on race day. The last tri I was in, the waves were huge and the wind was howling, very dangerous conditions. I had my wetsuit on and felt fine in the water. Many people that didn't wear one were freaking out and some had to be pulled out of the water by the lifeguards.

So short answer.... It depends. Sounds like you are an accomplished swimmer, so if the conditions are good go without. At least you'll have the suit ready if the you need it.

Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit or not? Rss Feed