Other Resources My Cup of Joe » cruddy weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-23 4:14 PM

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Subject: cruddy weekend
Since I just posted my problem calves I thought I'd share my weekend with you. On Saturday I participated in a 5K run/walk. I had a good time walking with my friend but I couldn't believe how slow I was walking. I'm only 5'3'' and overweight, so I have a short stride and extra weight to carry but I was still upset. After the walk we congregated in the recreational building on campus. I caught sight of myself in a mirror and got really upset at how out of shape I was and how fit everyone else seemed. I know I shouldn't compare but....
I started to have doubts about whether or not I was going to be able to participate in a sprint tri this summer. I'm committed to working on it but I don't want to be disappointed if I go and cannot fininsh sorry for the rant, just feelin' down

2003-11-23 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1988

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: cruddy weekend

aww...common stina...we all get impatient in our training and acheiving goals.  u must come out of this wiser.  only then u will be stronger.  learn what happened in the race and your calf problem.  have u been fitted for shoes?  sometimes that can be a problem.

give it a week of rest and if not improving, see a doc.  if only i would have seen a doc when i had problems, i would have never lost any ground training.

spin if u feel good to stay going....after some good rest.

stay focused...enjoy the down time...read a good running book.  try jeff galloways book on running...has some walk/run stuff in it and lots of other info...may get some insight.

if anything, give strength to your resolve.

2003-11-23 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1998

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Gota agree with Ron there champ. Its just your bodys way of saying "Slow down"
Spinning would probably be a good low impact activity.

Keep ya chin up

Craig
2003-11-23 8:32 PM

New user

Nowra, Australia
Hey stina, know how you feel, it has been raining all weekend here, weather really miserable. Could only get on the windtrainer for about an hour & half on Saturday, so I felt really slack and tired as well. I didn't even get up and train this morning. My partner had to give me a kick in the butt and tell me to brush myself off and snap out of it. heehee. Cruel to be kind huh!? I guess we go thru our down periods, especially if we feeling tired like the guys say. Try and remain positive and focussed...listen to your body.....
2003-11-24 6:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-11-24 7:46 AM

La Crosse, Wisconsin
thanks everyone, you guys are awesome
Christina

2003-11-24 8:04 AM

2003-11-24 9:20 AM

2003-11-24 9:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
You know this applies to each and every event you/we do. When I show up at 5:30am to swim at the local High School. There are people 15-20 years older than me that are machines. I am still trying/fighting to get into swim shape. It takes everything I got to go to the pool when I see that I may have to share a lane or even to go when I know I will be the worst swimmer there. I do go, nobody laughs, nobody is looking much at me and I have found a few that are supportive. One lady (who is a machine) told me she had been coming for 6 years and most everyone there in the morning are teachers who have been swimming for 5-6 years every M-W-F. So they have 6 years on me. It meant a lot to me knowing that they noticed the new guy, talked to the new guy and told me to stick with it. I still get butterflies every morning I do go swim though. I sat in the parking lot one day seeing the swim team entering the pool thinking for sure the HS kids would laugh. What I have found is that the people who are good, don't bother with anything but their workout, those that are not very good do most of the looking around and you can't learn anything from them anyway.
2003-11-24 10:38 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Great story Rio! Thanks for sharing. Christina, how good you are is all relative. Think of how many people do nothing. Just walking to the starting line and you are doing better than them. I used to see this a lot in racquetball. I once one my division in a tournament and felt pretty confident. Later the next week I played an open guy and he waxed me 15-3 and 15-2. That weekend he got beat bad by another guy. So, unless you are #1 in the world, there are always going to be people out there who are faster or better. Set your own goals and that is your competition!
2003-12-02 11:29 AM

SW Michigan
I was looking around at all of the other women at the race last Friday, and I had the realization that I am not built anything like they are. Most of them were short and skinny looking. I myself am 5'7" and 170lbs. Of course I'm carrying extra weight, but I don't think I'm highly over-weight. I'm just built like a weight lifter. I felt like a giant looking around at everybody else. (Of course when I was throwing Shot Put in college I looked around at the other girls and felt really small and petite)

I think that somehow it means more to an Athena or Clydesdale when they reach an accomplishment. Our small accomplishments mean a lot more than the small accomplishments of those who were gifted with gym bodies. We are all training for ourselves, and if we compare ourselves to others it only takes away from our own pride.

Please don't give up. We need you to stick with it. We are all working here together and someday I will need you to encourage me.

--Amy Jo

Edited by oostdyka 2003-12-02 11:30 AM

2003-12-02 11:59 AM

Expert
New Port Richey
Christina,
You havenot reason to be disappointed with yourself. You have already accomplished on of the goals you set off to do and that was walk the 5k. Now set another small goal and work on accomplishing that. Keep on setting the smaller goals and work on up to your ultimate goal of completing a triathlon. So rest your calves, do some spinning and find a small goal to focus on.
2003-12-02 5:37 PM

Central Louisiana
We all have our doubts, reservations, and fears. John Bingham has a great book "The Courage to Start" I have lived by this quote for the last two years, "It takes more courage to start than it does to finish". I still go to races and have a hard time making them understand that I am racing and not volunteering, but I know that I am on the right track. I turned in a race report to the "stats" guy in our try club and made the comment that I had a bad day. He reminded me of all the things that made it a good day and he was right. If it weren't for our valleys in life, the peaks would not seem so spectacular. Hang in there, and we do expect to here that first race report and how great it was to cross the finish line.

Still Tri'n,
Michael

Edited by Michael 2003-12-02 5:37 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » cruddy weekend Rss Feed