General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kerrville, Texas
United States
High Five Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 55m 29s
Overall Rank = 63/268
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/24
Pre-race routine:

Let's digress. I did not sleep well. I just started doing Tri's two and a half years ago and got hooked. I do well in Sprints but moving up to OLY has been tough. I run out of energy during the runs. I have trained hard for this one so I was nervous and did not sleep well. I got up at three turned my alarm off. Made coffee grabbed my food bag and was off. I had prepacked. Man some strange radio shows on at 330 AM. Ate 2 bananna's, oranges, grapes, pop tarts, and energy bars during the two hour ride. Laid back in my car in the parking garage and rested for 45 minutes. The I got on the bus at 600 AM. Saw some friends.
Event warmup:

None really no swims were allowed. But I was cold. So I kept walking around. I talked to Djastroman, Ironultrared and some other friends. The Half went off first so I had to wait over an hour. I did not want to put on my wetsuit until about 30 minutes before the swim. I did walk up the big hill to the porta toliets about two times. I do not think they had enough of them. I stretched and jogged in place. Non-eventfull. Watched the first two waves come out. The wet suit strippers were doing a great job.
Swim
  • 20m 21s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

We jumped in the water. I felt like a bobber. The wetsuit gives you a natural bouancy. I was starting to get nervous and the gun went off. I just let myself go to get into a good rythm. Felt good. But then I started thinking what in the hell am I doing this for? Why? So I started to tense up and go faster and I was starting to breath every other stroke instead 3-4 strokes. I lifted my head to keep a bouey sited and calmed down. Felt good. Caught up to the wave in front of me and started doing some passing. I had trouble siting the finish, but I saw the blue flags and set course. I dropped the hammer and swam as fast as I could. I got out of the water and a single stripper helped me get out of the wet suit very quickly. I should have thanked her more.
What would you do differently?:

Take a masters swim class. I can swim well but I have no formal training just swimming in the lakes and ocean. I swim like splashing water buffalo.

Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

I just suck in transition. I freeze or just do not get it. I am a minute slower than others. I had my bag ready and packed my wet suit. I had trouble getting my socks on. I downed my new special performance drink my wife made me, I heard a guy in the Olympics use this , pickle juice, orange juice, and tea. Taste like $h1t, 12 ounces. I wanted to get out in front of my hydration.

Go faster. Ask an experienced Tri person their style and plan.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 1s
  • 29 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I was worried about being cold. But WRONG. I started out fast and kept up a 23-24 mile per hour pace for about 9 miles. I was concened about over-doing it early and backed off some. When the roads turned rougher and I hit the head wind I dropped down to around 17 mph and was working harder. My feet where cold at one point, but that did not last long. About 20 minutes into the chip seal my butt started hurting and I was uncomfortable in the saddle. I raised up and was sort of shaking and loosing up my hips and butt, then a lady came up beside me and said was I mooning her for drafting. We laughed she told me to stay in the aero more and put more weight into my legs. I tried. It sort of went away. I was very happy with my ride. My new CADD 10 performed well. (The lady chicked me, she was fast) I downed both of my water bottles. One a perform gatoraide and one an electrolyte drink.

I dunno. I have never finished a ride that fast. Just keep up with the group training
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Did not suck as bad T1. But below average.
I was happy to see the bike end. Downed another type of sports drink from my nutrionist's.

I hardly remember what happened. Seemed to me I was doing OK.
Run
  • 58m 41s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Man I was nervous. During my last two OLY during the runs I hit the wall and had to walk during parts of the run. I got out of transition and felt good. I was not tired. The bricks I had done were paying off. I spoke to some fellow runners. The weather was perfect. 65 and overcast with a slight wind. I just starting thinking about other things like was my daughter having her softball game, my son in Lacrosse, how will I ever pay for college starting in two years, and before I knew it I was at the end of the first lap and Djastromans wife Angie was yelling go Dwight. Man that pumped me up and I picked up the pace during lap 2. Passed a few runners. Controlling my liquids and proper nutrition really helped me.

I could have pushed it more. Otherwise just more brick and group training.
Keep my intakes constant.
Post race
Warm down:

Great finish atmosphere. I heard my name and sprinted to the finish. I usually down a few bottles of water, but I just downed the one and walked around got some fruit and a beer. I felt good. I stood with Djastroman's wife and cheered for him, Ironultrared, and some friends. We packed some carbs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little hesitant during the run.

Event comments:

High Five does a great job. I am in for next year

Last updated: 2012-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:21 | 1000 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/24
Overall: 42/268
Performance: Good
One lap keep boueys to the left.
Suit: Blueseventy
Course: Out and back. Water was murky.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:31:01 | 29 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/268
one lap.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Circle course out and back. Smooth, rollers, flat, two hills. chipseal, rough spots, and fresh chip seal. The head wind started about half way through the race.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:41 | 06.4 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 87/268
Course: Two lap course. About 1 mile of the lap was a trail run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-01 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course

2012-10-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4436199

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course
Dude awesome job out there!  You kicked some serious butt on a hard course.  Good to see you out there and will probably see you again at Natural Bridge Caverns Du.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course Rss Feed