General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kerrville, Texas
United States
High Five Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 47m 38s
Overall Rank = 300/345
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45. Didn't want new food, so had a normal training breakfast brought from home. Wheat bagel with almond butter and jelly, and one banana. Brought my own coffee, but no coffee filter and coffee pot in hotel was moldy. So my decaf coffee came from the hotel's continental breakfast. Went to T1 and got body marked and laid out bike stuff. Went to T2 and laid out run stuff and dropped off car. Caught a ride back with some other women who were very nice. Had some Nuun and water and waited for race start.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 57m 14s
  • 1921 yards
  • 02m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Brought two pair of goggles, but managed to NOT have the clear ones. Big mistake. I wore mirrored goggles. I have never been in the first wave (after the pros) and it was dark and overcast. I couldn't see the buoys. Hope not to make that mistake again!

I intended to swim at my normal slow speed, part of my execution plan. But, my navigation was the worst it's ever been. Twice I found myself in the swimmers coming back and had to correct. It was really due to not being able to see.

Got kicked and bumped a lot. Got kicked in the goggles, not hard, but it did cause my goggles to unseal. Easy fix.

I survived and was ready to be on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Bring clear goggles. Need more time in the water. Need more practice with sighting.
Transition 1
  • 06m 2s
Comments:

First time with wetsuit strippers. What an experience. I was a little frustrated and disoriented coming out of the swim and decided just to take my time. I walked to the strippers. They finally got my wetsuit off and then I ran to my bike.

Nothing, I needed to take my time and I did.
Bike
  • 3h 40m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, right on target on my execution plan. I did stop at a convenient store bathroom. No line!

Goal was to ride easy and concentrate on hydration and nutrition. Had almost 96 oz of water and almost 4 hours of perpetuem/heed mix. Never felt hungry or thirsty.

Wind was annoying, as was the rough chipseal. It sprinkled lightly twice, just enough to make me wipe my glasses. I had new Open Corsa Evo CX II tires with latex tubes (first time for that). They were definitely sweet!

My MAF is 128. Kept an average HR of 145, just as planned. Only spiked slightly on the few hills.
Transition 2
  • 05m 34s
Comments:

I planned to take my time here and I did. I wanted to keep HR as low as possible.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 58m 8s
  • 13.33 miles
  • 13m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was right on track until mile 7. My execution plan was working. Suddenly got very severe leg cramps. Stopped to take a stone out of my shoe. When I pointed my toes to try and get it back on, my toes on both feet started curling and I had to sit down before I fell down.

Due to osteoporosis (starting on drugs day after race), I elected to walk on the concrete and run the portions that were off road. I figured if I fell on dirt, I was less likely to break something.

Carried Nuun and water, and kept refilling water and adding a tablet. Had ΒΌ banana at beginning of run. Had a salt packet at mile 3. When quads started hurting, upped the Nuun concentration. When toes started curling, I started trying everything on the course. Another salt packet, bananas, pretzels, Hammer gel, coke and finally an orange quarter. Nothing worked!

I did manage to get through it and did sprint across the finish line. I am a half ironman just before my 60th birthday!

Figure out what happened. Train better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, and had some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps and age.

Event comments:

I love High Five Events. The volunteers were amazing!

Last updated: 2012-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:14 | 1921 yards | 02m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 308/345
Performance: Below average
Suit: Profile Design Full Wetsuit
Course: Long rectangle in river. Very muddy. Lots of chop due to wind.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:40:38 | 56 miles | 15.23 mile/hr
Overall: 299/345
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops. Slight downhill and smooth for first 12 miles. Some rough chip seal. Cones made a pretty narrow lane at one point. Road coming back into town had lots of stones and debris.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:58:08 | 13.33 miles | 13m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 279/345
Performance: Below average
Course: 4 loops out and back. Half was road and half was trails through the woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-03 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2012-10-03 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4438875

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Subject: RE: Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Great report, Jackie.  Congrats.
2012-10-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4438875

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Nice job Jackie. You did well on the Tuesday Lake Travis ride. 

and

Happy Birthday.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed