85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 50m 12s
Overall Rank = 187/
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Race Morning
Stephanie, Elaine & I got ourselves to the race site with plenty of time. We organized ourselves in our respective areas. Elaine and I hid under the Norma Tec expo tent on their comfy lounge chairs and relaxed. We found Stephanie in time for the national anthem and to sneak a peek at Lance and his transition area, and then it was time to swim.

Honestly, even though it was my first 70.3, it felt like any other triathlon. That was nice, because it didn't cause me too much panic or nervousness to just be there setting up transition like normal.
Event warmup:

none (oops!)
Swim
  • 34m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were 4 buoys and we were to make a clockwise rectangle around them, back to the beach for a short jog and into the water for another lap. This meant that we got to battle the waves going out and ride the waves coming in twice. Everyone was so serious and I was feeling the pressure of what the next 6 hours would hold, but then I ran into the ocean and through the waves and getting thrown around a little eased my mind and reminded me to have fun. The water was perfect, cool and refreshing, and past the waves, dare I say...warm! I got into my groove and rounded buoy #2 and started swimming parallel to shore, I rounded buoy #3 and couldn't see anything but the sun. So I swam towards the sun. Then I realized I should have hit the 4th buoy and it would be nice if I could see some people, so I treaded water and took off my goggles to get my bearings. I was smack dab between buoy #1 and buoy #4, literally in the center of the rectangle. What else could I do but swim back to the perimeter and continue the swim? I made it back and there were still red caps around (at least I didn't lose my wave). I got out and jogged to the 2nd lap start. The 2nd lap was uneventful except for the killer wave I rode in. I passed so many people just body surfing, that was fun. 34:24
What would you do differently?:

Not get lost.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

No time wasted here, just got on my bike and got out to the course. 1:42
Bike
  • 2h 44m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

4 laps of a flat course on a single road left little room for day dreaming or admiring scenery. I had a great ride, no flats, and just a "niggle" in my left hamstring, but I just kept going at a steady pace that didn't require too much effort. Lance Armstrong only passed me one time. He was definitely wearing a speedo. I didn't get passed by a female until mile 30. On lap 3, I became increasingly aware of how much I had to pee. I kept drinking fluids, but I really had to go. I even attempted to go on my bike, but I just couldn't make myself pee, so I sucked it up and made it to transition after lap 4. All along, I am giving myself a pep talk about the run. I got off my bike at the dismount line and my hamstrings reared their ugly head at me. So I just had to breath and stretch a little...and then run across the timing mat.
2:44:31
What would you do differently?:

I only wish I could pee on my bike. And maybe that I had margarita Clif Shot Blocks.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Shoes changed, helmet off, visor on, race belt, PORT A POTTY! I got to reset my garmin so I have separate files for the bike & run. Yipee! 2:39
While I was transitioning the race announcer is mentally abusing me by declaring today's run course as the hardest in history. The tide was high, so the "hard packed sand" we were supposed to be running on was under water, and we were really going to run on soft sand. Oh brother.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was "lollipop" style, with a sandy run out, 2 laps around a paved loop and a slightly longer sandy run back.
So here I go, running 3 miles in soft sand. There is kelp all over, and there are few places to put my feet that resemble anything I would voluntarily run on. I passed Lance finishing around the 1st mile (he killed the course record). I made it to the pavement and stuck to my plan of only walking at aid stations. Stephanie caught up and passed me between mile 6 and 7 (she's quite the speed demon). I had a run buddy and we kept each other motivated/distracted. He was also walking aid stations, and then around mile 8, I felt very tired, so attempted a run-walk regimen for the rest of the race. Between mile 9 and 10, it was the softest sand. It was so hard to run in and took so much effort, that I just power walked an entire mile. I thought the reprieve would come for the last 3 miles on harder sand, which of course was sloped towards the ocean, but my calves were so tired and crampy that the last 3 miles were also run-walk, or rather run-stretch-run. Walking hurt just as much as running anyway. I realized that I would definitely make my time goal, so I was happily making my way to the finish line and not dwelling too much on my ailments.
2:26:56
Post race
Warm down:

People warm down? I just ate as much as I could right away then went in search of a breakfast burrito!

Event comments:

I felt better after this race than I have after some of my Olympics. I contribute that to actually following a training plan (a first for me). I was well prepared. I had a nutrition plan (more below) and mostly stuck to it. I know a lot can go wrong in a race, and I am pleased that I made it through the experience without an injury, stomach distress or even a blister.

I also recognize all that could have gone wrong and didn't. I'm so thankful to be able to train and eat consistently.

Race Report with Photos: http://www.trigeekess.com/2012/10/superfrog-703-race-report.html

Last updated: 2012-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 72/
Performance: Average
Suit: BlueSeventy Swim Skin over Zoot Suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average