12 Oaks Foundation
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 11s
Overall Rank = 4/
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

First heard of this event a couple years ago from one of the instructors at the gym. It's a benefit in honor of a boy who was taken way too early. In this event they have a challenge to beat his best times at the mile (6:13) and 5k (21:27) set as a 12 yr old. I can't help but jump into things like this, and it's just perfect for a tempo run to boot.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site and jogged it easy back & forth a few times on a section of the road.
Run
  • 19m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I just used this as a tempo run. Pushed, but didn't race it. Felt pretty good at the end. Had no GPS as my Garmin is starting to fail. Still had HR to help out with my guesswork. Just paced off some people & RPE in the first half mile. Then HR built up enough to be of use. Kept building some throughout and picking up speed (per the mile markers). So many people start out too fast. Ended up working my way up to 4th without having to really work for it. Just comfortably hard by the end.
Post race
Warm down:

A little more jogging afterward. They had a few choices of food afterward, but when there is pizza (as there always should be) then that pretty much makes the decision obvious. Couple pieces of that, some chips and some chocolate cake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just stayed at comfortably hard. Have had some weird things going on with my performance, so didn't push it. Also trying to put in a lot of miles on the run lately, so didn't want to chance overdoing it. Long term is far more important than a local event. Felt like I could have done it again exactly like the first time, so that seems about right.

Event comments:

Everyone who beats Matt's times gets into a drawing for some prizes. Don't remember they gave out because I didn't get one, but all of us did get a $5 card to Baker's Square, so can't complain there!

Last updated: 2012-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:11 | 03.11 miles | 06m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 4/
Performance:
Course: Course is shaped kind of like a funky capitalized Beta. Most of it is on the softer crushed limestone path in the area. Nice stuff to run on.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?