Corman Races for Chrysalis
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m
Overall Rank = 1/18
Age Group = 30-34f
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Are banana on pb toast with honey. Made the mistake of eating a big pizza last night after a week of very healthy eating, so my stomach would never end up feeling right all day.
Event warmup:

1.5 miles at 8:30 pace, then some light striders right before start.
Run
  • 21m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

All the women started in a wave, and I surged at the start to establish a lead. No one went with me, so after a 6:35 opening mile I was able to slow down and conserve energy.
What would you do differently?:

I could have run more even splits, but it seemed like a good strategy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

This transition included about a quarter mile run uphill into transition area. Went smooth and was able to get on my bike with the shoes pre-clipped. I do need to learn how to do a flying mount though.

Nothing. It was about 30 seconds faster than the next-fastest female so I'm happy.
Bike
  • 46m 59s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I was not expecting a great bike, given that my legs are still a little dull from Augusta. However, I was pretty happy with my bike. Everything went smooth and I knocked off about 5 minutes from last year. I was a little conservative with the technical course but wouldn't change that.

I took A LOT of rest days over the last few weeks. First, I tapered going into the 70.3 and then took some extra recovery days. This race did not come at an ideal time, so just being able to point more toward this race would have helped.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Another smooth transition. Getting feet out of shoes before dismounting went well.

Learn how to dismount off a moving bike instead of slowing to a stop.
Run
  • 22m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out at about a 6:55 pace, but when I realized I had a very comfortable lead I was able to just coast to the finish. I never felt great during this race and my stomach bothered me, so I was glad to not have to push it harder.

My 5K run training has been seriously lacking, and I have never done any bricks with speed.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Ate some food and socialized. The collected $750 that they awarded to the winner. I wish this was my job, lol!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run training. Last year, my splits were 21:09 and 21:56, so that's 40 seconds slower this year. Being 13 days after my first half Ironman.

Event comments:

There are just not better events than the races held at RJ Corman. The man is a hero to the running community. He gives away extraordinary prizes, opens up his gorgeous, private farm, and always involves fantastic charities.

Last updated: 2012-09-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:19 | 03.11 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1/18
Performance: Good
Course: Gently rolling, beautiful scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 02:13
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:46:59 | 16 miles | 20.43 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: This course is deceivingly hilly. It starts out with a long, steady climb out of transition. There are also a few significant hills; one is pretty serious. Also, it's a technical course. There are lots of twists and turns; even some u-turns. Most roads are fairly smooth but some are pretty rough.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:25 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Same course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-14 8:16 AM

User image

New user
KY
Subject: R. J. Corman Duathlon

2012-10-14 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4453021

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: R. J. Corman Duathlon
Damn girl, you are so fast.... and that's after doing a HIM!!!  I am so envious of your run paces, I don't think even when I was young I could manage to run that fast... and of course the power in your legs crosses right over to your bike speed, just awesome!!!!   Lots of 1st place bling for you this season, woot!!!
2012-10-19 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4453021

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: R. J. Corman Duathlon

Congrats again Erin.  But you forgot to mention the serious prize money you earned for winning this thing!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » R. J. Corman Duathlon Rss Feed