General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Before Turning 50 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-22 12:10 PM

Subject: Before Turning 50

At every milestone birthday, 30, 40, I have undertaken something challenging.  When I turned 30, I did a sprint triathlon and although not in a spectacular time, I finished.  It was my one and only triathlon.  At 40 I started martial arts (shaolin kung fu) and kept at it until just before testing for my blue belt, when I got a herniated disk --now I do tai chi. Work as a professional and lack of exercise has taken its toll, and the weight has started to pile on.  At my last physical my doctor said my blood sugar was a bit high and told me to lose weight.  Next year comes another milestone birthday, the big 5-0. 

I was not sure what challenge to take up this time.  However, as I started walking a couple of miles every morning and swimming laps, I begun to think that maybe I would try another sprint triathlon or even a shorter version of one.  Of course, I do not have as much free time as I did before and need to lose about 40 lbs or more to get there, but I have about 8 or 9 month to work on it.  My 9 year old daughter and my wife are both worried about my health, so I know I have to get serious with losing weight and getting in better shape.  Have any of you have any words of advise, particularly those who have done something similar? Any suggestions? Looking forward to the comments.

Luis

2012-10-22 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4463553

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Before Turning 50

Losing 40 pounds sounds like a great 50th birthday goal all by itself.  I lost about 25 pounds at age 50.  I am 60 now.  I have gained and relost that last 5 pounds though many times in the last 10 years.  I have restarted my exercise program just about the same number of times.

Losing 40 pounds is going to take a while.  Start with diet first.  There is more you can do there than exercise at first.  Cut out all the empty calories in snacks, sugar drinks, beer, wine, desserts, etc.  Eat the same pattern of portions every day.  It is easier to follow a pattern than to count calories.  When you have an eating pattern that brings consistent weight loss, just stick with that.  If your weight does not budge, keep trimming portions and substituting low calorie foods for high calorie.  Cut bread and potatoes in favor of broccoli and beans.  Reduce meat portions by half.  You can not allow yourself any cheat days and no weakness for a year to get to your goal.  Every cheat is a weight loss missed, a day longer to your goal. 

Exercise a small amount twice a day.  For example, do a 15-20 min weight routine in the morning before you shower.  You can do some dumbbell and bodyweight exercises.  Walking, swimming, or biking about 20-30 minutes in the evening before supper. Combine walking and running, easy bike effort, swimming in short sets.  It is far more important to go easy and get in the habit of exercising than to have a couple of huge workouts that hurt and make you want to never do that again. 

Build slowly.  There aren't any goals except to stick with it.  No specific exercise amount per day. No goal for times. No weight loss goals.  Just get in the habit, find a pattern of eating and exercise that makes the weight go down consistently.  Stick with it.

Three months from now, you will be feeling and looking noticeably better.  Spring will be approaching and you can start looking for a race to point toward.  You will be reasonably fit and will have a base to start a training program.  You can pick a race and a training plan to get you successfully through it.  

At 6 months you will have completed your first race and you will have the weight loss pattern well established.  You will be a regular exerciser.  You will preach the gospel of exercise and healthy living to all your friends.  This will annoy some of them.  Some will follow your example.  It is hard to tell ahead of time which will do which.

At 12 months you will be really close to your goal.  You will post a before and after picture on BT and everyone here will say good job.  You will be a sage expert on exercise and weight loss and advise newbies here, maybe lead a mentor group.

What are you waiting for?  There is your vision.  Get started. 

TW

2012-10-23 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4463553

Thanks, TW.  My daughter got our entire family to switch to a pescetarian diet a while back (seafood and vegetarian) and I tend to watch my carbs.  But I really like the idea of a food pattern.  That is a very useful suggestion.  I started walking last month and already lost five pounds (I started at needing to lose about 45 lbs), but I am trying to keep it realistic, so I appreciate your advise.  I remember my first triathlon when I was 30 and it was hard, so I do worry about doing one now at 50.  Thanks for the encouragement and advise!

Luis

2012-10-23 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4465328

User image

Elite
lpedraja - 2012-10-23 12:13 PM

Thanks, TW.  My daughter got our entire family to switch to a pescetarian diet a while back (seafood and vegetarian) and I tend to watch my carbs.  But I really like the idea of a food pattern.  That is a very useful suggestion.  I started walking last month and already lost five pounds (I started at needing to lose about 45 lbs), but I am trying to keep it realistic, so I appreciate your advise.  I remember my first triathlon when I was 30 and it was hard, so I do worry about doing one now at 50.  Thanks for the encouragement and advise!

Luis

Daughters are like that. Yes, they are.  Good luck.  I will be pulling for you.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Before Turning 50 Rss Feed