Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-10-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4470349

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: What is wrong with PEDs?
Rogillio - 2012-10-26 9:18 AM

It does seems like we (the triathlon community) are in a constant search for an 'advantage' over the competition.  It has driven us to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a bicycle so we capture every weight reduction advanatage and every aerodynamic adcantage.  If wet suits are legal, everyone (except me) will wear one to capture the buoyancy advantage! We study race day nutrion and make special mixtures to have the best nutritional advantage.  Some people train in the mountains to increase their VO2 max to gain an advantage

So why draw the line with drugs giving us an advantage?  IF (big if) drugs can be monitored by a medical doctor then why not?  Money?  That can't be it becuase everyone can't afford a $10k bike or afford to tain in the mountains or even buy a wetsuit.   

I did my first IM with a herniated disc.  I was given a steriod pack the week before the race.  Had we been tested for drugs, presumably I'd of been disqualified.  This has nothing to do with the thread, I just threw it in as lagniappe for no additional cost.

Yes, they do look for an advantage everywhere, but there are limitations on the examples given. A few quick thoughts. Bikes can not be recumbant type, or have a fairing like the land speed record ones do. Triathlon definitely has fewer restrictions than something like UCI, but if it pushes too far (compromising safety), then maybe something with more detail will come up. To this point it has not gone so far that it has been necessary to put more restrictions for participant safety.

Wetsuits are legal and do provide an advantage. But they do have cut-off temperatures. Otherwise (some) people would wear them in 90+ deg water, compromising their safety as they would feel the performance gains would outweigh the risks.

What are the downsides to the (legal) special mixtures in question? Some might be seen as a lesser form of the PED's banned, but without the more serious side effects they could be allowed. Someone decided on a cut-off point for those that are allowed and not allowed. Whether one agrees with that point could be another topic of discussion.

2012-10-26 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4469812

The most powerful argument is that the purpose of (pro-)sports is that it is about the competition between persons, which person is able to achieve a better performance due to your own genetic and naturally developed physical and mental abilities.

I argue this argument to protect the integrity and equality of sports is even stronger than the argument to liberalize PEDs and let's say even sponsor them so everyone could get them and administer them under the same conditions like expert monitoring etc..Different bodies will still respond differently to PEDs, defeating the actual purpose of sports.

Yes, you may still have a competition, but some are not a better athlete, just a better doper. While the former one earned it, the latter one did not. It would change the nature and rationle of sports competitions. Doubtlessly there are many other variables outside your body influencing your performance, for instance how good is your equipment etc, but first, even those things are being regulated, and secondly, banning PEDs is limiting the potential of external factors to influence the competition.

Some may say, why not regulate equipment more strictly? This is not an issue that must be answered in reference to banning PEDs, because the arguments for banning PEDs are powerful enough when considering PEDs on their own.

I also believe the nature of this issue is different. PEDs are not necessary to compete, if you are ill or cannot tolerate high workloads, that's simply fate, the way it is. However you will need a bike to participate in a tri. I could deploy some arguments about why the difference in equipment is more permissible, but this post is getting long....

Finally the "it's my body"-argument is a complex and deep issue of political philosphy, and liberalism and its limits...not going to talk about it now, I am hungry and need to find some food

2012-10-26 3:02 PM

User image

If you legalize all PEDs, it really becomes a battle of who can tolerate the most PEDs before they croak sort of deal.  It will only take a few deaths for something like this to revert itself back to regulation with the media penetration we have these days.  It is sort of saving people from themselves, but moreso, there will be many that WILL risk it all for the glory of one day regardless of the known risks.  I bet if you told some competitors, here is a pill, you have a 50/50 chance of dying but if you take it you are guaranteed to win, I imagine there's are enough crazies that would be willing to take that chance (although I'm not one of them).

At that point it just becomes russian roulette, and not the spirit of competition most spectators enjoy.

2012-10-26 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4470584

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Rogillio - 2012-10-26 12:18 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-10-26 11:01 AM

As others have pointed out it becomes an "arms race" that tends to accelerate out of any definition of reasonable control. The same is true of racing equipment. If there weren't rigid rules for equipment the Tour de France would be contested in supine recumbents at 60 M.P.H. for flat stages.

A key issue with performance enhancing drugs is junior development. Adults can make a (supposedly) reasoned decision about using drugs and therapies like blood boosting. Riders under 18, minors, may not have the judgement to make those decisions responsibly or may be influenced by adults with potentially short sighted agendas.

It's "slash and burn" development.

There is an ominous aspect to this thread- and please don't take this personally. It shows textbook signs of the "Cult of Personality" phenomenon; the phenomenon where a person's definition of what is acceptable is shifted by some "maven", some "cult of personality" leader, in this case, Lance Armstrong. It is as though there is a toe in the water of the thought process that is, "Heck, what is wrong with this anyway?"

That is truly disturbing. I won't resort to messy, offensive and inflammatory historical comparisons but I will profer the university studies that have studied this phenomenon, such as the Milgram Study and the one at Berkley in the '60's that had to be suspended when when participants shifted their paradigm of what was acceptable to a potentially dangerous level.

The lesson: A big sports, cultural or media figure can "sell" us on any behavior being acceptable. They can shift our cultural paradigm of what is "right", what is acceptable. You may choose to buy into that shift. But choose carefully...

Certainly the 'sport' of body-building bought into the acceptability of juicing.

As far as shifts in what is acceptable in society, I agree that celebrities do tend to shift societal norms....be that using PEDs or wearing Nike shoes or riding a Cervelo bike.  Maybe I'm missing your point because I don't think a college study is needed to study this '?phenominon'.  Jimmy Dean and Frank Sinatra led millions of youths to smoking.....and Cheech and Chong....well, never mind. 

Celebrities do shift the perception paradigm for certain and affect masses, but they are just a high visibility result of what had already been occurring for some time within the given sport. McGwire and Sosa are forever among the poster children of PEDs in baseball. PEDs had been a problem in baseball ,and will continue to be problem in baseball forever. There is always a line, and always people willing to go there and beyond because of the reward. If there is a reward, there will always be takers of risk to explore it.

So the line has to be drawn tightly or the borders will stretch until they break (the sport)

2012-10-27 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

If PEDs are legalized, someone at every race will be peeing blood (or the equivalent).  That's the first problem (mostly for them - not me)

The second (and bigger for me - I'm not so concerned if someone else CHOOSES to go overboard), is that I can't compete with someone who is willing to risk their health like that.  I do not want kidney failure, roid rage, shriveled bits and pieces, etc. to compete in AG tris - that's not what it's about to me (and I think to many athletes)

The big conflict is that I DO want to race, but once the PED line is crossed, I don't want to compete on whether I can drug up better than the next person.

Maybe a poll of who would be OK with doping if it was a separate race group?  I don't care if you choose to dope to the point of injury (idiotic, IMO, but MANY people would… clearly) - that race group would be impressive.  As long as I can go against others who have to abide the same rules I'm following, I'm good.

If one allows doping in general, though, then non-dopers have to resign themselves to ONLY competing against their own times.  THAT WOULD STINK AND WOULD NOT BE GOOD FOR THE SPORT (IMO). 

2012-10-27 2:19 PM

User image

Los Angeles
There is a pretty good documentary on that has been on cable and ESPN....Bigger, Stronger, Faster about steriods and PED's....it shows both sides.  There are doctors who say its alright and other that obviously say it isn't.  Interesting documentary.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is wrong with PEDs? Rss Feed  

of 3