Endurance Events
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 57s
Overall Rank = 630/1296
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 47/72
Pre-race routine:

Not much to report. I usually run further than this for my Saturday long runs, so I treated it the same as any other Saturday run, except with a much earlier alarm.
Event warmup:

Up at 5.15, drank some water, had a 5hr energy (I really need to buy some coffee to make at home), and waited for my friend to pick me up to drive down to Navy Pier.
I received overnight texts that 2 friends weren't going to be able to run. Bummer, since I like these social runs. One had gotten sick, one had an unfortunate case of partying until 4am. Poor guy.

Once at Navy Pier, my friend checked in, and we stretched inside to keep warm.
Run
  • 1h 33m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

After last weeks Hot Chocolate it was super nice to run a small, no hassle, stress free race.

The start was delayed for 30 minutes, no idea why.
At 8am, we got underway. It was cool to run along Navy Pier, something I've never done despite living in Chicago for almost 5 years.

This run was as much like a training run as any race I've ever taken part in. Running along the bike path. I kept an easy pace with my friends, and we just chatted the whole time.
Took a bathroom break around mile 3, that's the 2nd time in 2 races, normally I don't pee during a race, I must be over-hydrating. Ah well, better than the alternative.

The bike path was open, and we passed several cyclists. This is totally fine, but the cyclists need to do a much better job of announcing themselves. I saw some close calls.
Our pace was probably close to 10 min/mile for the 1st half.

On the way back north, we ran back around Shedd Aquarium, and enjoyed my favourite view of Chicago. Amazing.

As we ran onto Navy Pier for the homestretch, I decided to see how much kick i had after a very comfortable race. I didn't realize how far away the finish line was. By the time I got there I was sucking wind.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Great race. Great pace. Great company.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a bagel, stretched, drank some coconut water (nasty!) and hopped back in the car to head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. A nice, fun run.

Event comments:

This was a nice, small race. Very low key compared to some of the MUCH bigger races i've done this year (Shamrock Shuffle, Chicago Marathon, Chicago Tri, Hot Chocolate, etc...), and a great way to wrap up the 2012 running season.

Last updated: 2012-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:57 | 10 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/1296
Performance:
Course: Started near the far end of Navy Pier, heads south along the bike path. U-turn at around 31st street, and retraces steps the whole way to Navy Pier.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-11-13 12:11 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10 Mile

2012-11-14 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4496566

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10 Mile
Nice job. I too thought the finish line would appear faster than it did!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10 Mile Rss Feed