General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing gears, what do I need? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-22 11:03 PM

Regular
Subject: Replacing gears, what do I need?

I have an old bike geared for flat courses. However, I plan on doing some races this year where there are hills.  When going up a steep/long hill, I max out my gear options pretty quickly and my legs get burned out. What I want is a generally well rounded gear setup which will be good most everywhere.  I live in a very flat part of Michigan and if I do any hills, they are generally small. But outside of my area, there are some hills, though not many are longer than 1 mile. I'm not looking for a mountain climbing setup. But would like to have a couple more gears to access if needed.

I have no idea what I need to upgrade or change.  So I'm hoping for gear advice that I can add to my Xmas list.

Here is my current setup:

My back gears are probably Shimano. It's a 9 speed. The # of teeth are: 25, 23, 21, 19, 17, 15, 14, 13, 12. 

My front cranks are Shimano 600. The # of teeth are 42/53. 

My front derailleur is a Shimano Sora and the back is Shimano Ultegra.

My shifters are also Ultegra.

Thanks for any help!

2012-11-23 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4507618

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Replacing gears, what do I need?
The simplest way to get an extra bit of help for hills is to change to a 12-27 cassette. Next would be to change to a compact chainset (50/34) but this may not work if your bike has a braze-on front mech. if it is band-on then it is easy to adjust the height for a compact to still shift smoothly. It might work with the braze on but I am not sure. 34 front and 27 rear should get you up anything. If thats still a struggle it is going to be a question of training more to build the power in your legs.
2012-11-23 10:45 AM

User image

Pro

Shimano 600!  don't hear that term used much these days (it became Ultegra many years ago).

yeah- easiest thing to do is just put on a 12-27 or 12-28 cassette.  You'll enjoy the extra edge.  It's an easy 'do it yourself' job.  All you need is a chain whip and a cassette tool, and you can pick up a decent cassette pretty cheaply, probably $30 or less.

2012-11-23 11:18 AM

Indiana

Personally I would take the more difficult route and look at changing out the front chain rings.  the 12-25 cassette you have the back has decent spacing and getting smething with a 27 or 28 will likely result in some big gaps in your gears.   When you ride on the flats are you spending lots of time in the 53-12 combo?  How about 53-13 combo?  If not I would look at at replacing the front chain ring.  A "Standard" set up on a new bike is a 53/39 combo.  Depending on your spider/chain ring set up you might be able to just swap the 42 for a 39.  A Compact 50/34 may be even better.   The nice thing about changing the front is you will maintain closer spacing on your gears.

Compact vs. Standard is a touchy subject.  People get offended easily.  In general when competing in triathlon, spinning is better than grinding, so looking at a compact set up may be real solution.  I say this because you said you run out of gears quick.  Adding a 27 to the rear isn't really going to give you much more gearing.  However a compact 50/34 will give you lots of gearing choices.  I considered myself a cyclist before getting into Tris.   Being a "real" cyclist there was no way I was going to use a compact...I just needed to train more, because it looked "pro".  Reality is that I never used the 53-11, 12, 13 combo's except on long or steep down hills.  I was getting nervous about a hilly race and burning up my legs in the heat and at the last minute got a Compact set up.   Wow!!!  It was much nicer to ride with this set up.  Why was I such an idiot thinking that I needed the standard combo.  That said if you regularly fly along in the  53-12 on the flats (and you don't want to mess with changing out front rings) then you likely don't need any different gearing except for some more extreme hill climbing.  However, the truth is that except for really strong riders a 53/39 set up is usually to high.  Compact cranks are generally more appropriate for most riders (FOP riders excepted).  Just something to consider.

Edited by bet 2012-11-23 11:25 AM
2012-11-23 10:03 PM

Regular

So much to think about.  Most of the time, I'm riding in the 53 ring, gears 17-25. Rarely do I shift up from that.  (However, lately my 53 ring is noisy from the chain rubbing so I usually stay in the small ring since it is quieter.)  Can I just take out the front 42 gear and switch it with say a 39? Can I go even lower like a 34 and get a hybrid standard/compact ratio going? 

How do I know if I can just swap out my 42 gear, as in what am I looking for on my bike that lets me know I can replace the single gear vs the entire crankset?

Also, if I decide to go compact, I need to replace the whole crankset right?  Is that it though, or will I need to get a new front derailleur as well? Any special tools I will need?

2012-11-23 10:33 PM

Indiana
Given your riding habits then I would definitely recommend a compact crank set up. You will find yourself in much better gear ratios and not on the extreme ends.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the shimano 600 series so I can't answer your specific questions about your crank. However I am pretty sure that you can't do a 53/34 set up. Modern day shimano requires new cranks because of the design. However cranks that utilize a removable spider are more accommodating to ehiching rings. A LBS should be able to look at your setup and give you a quick answer. You usually can find decent deals on compact setup a on eBay.

2012-11-24 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4508353

User image

Pro
kilgoretrout - 2012-11-23 8:03 PM

Can I just take out the front 42 gear and switch it with say a 39? Can I go even lower like a 34 and get a hybrid standard/compact ratio going? 

A 39- very likely.  A 34- heck no.  The issue with your current deraileur will be its total chain consumption. Limited by the length of the arm that those two little pulleys are on- you need to have enough range in the derailleur to accommodate your 53/25 as well as your 39/12.  That's only 27 teeth difference, which will work.  the older models I think are limited to 29.  the new Shimanos can do 32 teeth.

A 39 tooth inner chainring, methinks, would be a great idea.

2012-11-28 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4508363

User image

Veteran
Irvine

bet - 2012-11-23 8:33 PM Given your riding habits then I would definitely recommend a compact crank set up. You will find yourself in much better gear ratios and not on the extreme ends.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the shimano 600 series so I can't answer your specific questions about your crank. However I am pretty sure that you can't do a 53/34 set up. Modern day shimano requires new cranks because of the design. However cranks that utilize a removable spider are more accommodating to ehiching rings. A LBS should be able to look at your setup and give you a quick answer. You usually can find decent deals on compact setup a on eBay.

x2 on the move to a compact based upon your typical ride gearing on the flats and your desire for gearing on the hills. I switched to a compact and have been quite happy. (I also moved to an 11-23 cassette for tighter spacing and a bit more top end, 50-12 vs 50-11, for the downhills.

2012-12-01 7:23 PM

User image

I would go with the 39 tooth front and ditch the 42. A front chainring will set you back about $20 changing the cassette will set you back $70. Put you $$$$ toward something else.  You will probably be changing bike soon if the bug gets you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing gears, what do I need? Rss Feed