General Discussion Race Reports! » Key West Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Key West Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key West, Florida
United States
TRIKW, LLC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 6s
Overall Rank = 268/319
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 12/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 2AM and did not go back to sleep so decided to get up around 3AM. Had a banana and a PBJ sandwich. Made a couple cups of coffee around 4AM and another PBJ sandwich. Rechecked that all my gear was ready to go. Left the Hotel and rode about 1/3 mile to the transition area around 5AM. Was able to get my spot in transition, last spot away from the aisle. I take this slot since there is usually a little room at the end of the rack. However, the rack was right up next to the fence. Spent time talking with people in the transition area and got my chip.
Event warmup:

Put on my wetsuit about 15 minutes prior to the start. Met Jay and Rebecca at the water's edge and walked over to the starting location. Jay and I got in the water. I swam some to warm up. I was having problems with my goggles as water would get into the left goggle. I kept adjusting it and must have gotten it set correctly as I did not notice any water getting in during the swim pertion. It was the first time using these goggles in a triathlon. They are prescription so I could actually see the bouys during the swim.
Swim
  • 37m 39s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started in about waist deep water. Since I consider myself a slow swimmer. I started near the back of the group. It seemed to work out well. I found that I would breast stroke after catching up to the guy in front of me. He kept zig-zagging on the way to the first turn. I could not get around him so I just kept behind him most of the way. No sense burning yourself out on the swim. I focussed on my form during the swim. ran into a few swimmers at different times but no problems. Just took it easy for the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time working on stroke during my training swims to improve my swim time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

They had wet suit strippers so it was off just after you exited the water. I really like having wet suit strippers. After listening to the speaker the day before describe how you should approach transition, I used his approach and it seemed to work well. Put on my Garmin, my biking shoes, sweatband, sunglasses, helmet and head out. I was surprised to see that my bike wasn't the only one left on the rack.

practice the transition.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I've learned that I need to pace myself to survive on the run. Therefore, I used my HR monitor to prevent burning out on the bike. It seemed to work perfectly. I had taped two gels on my bike with the plan to take one at the start of the bike and then another near the end depending on how I felt. As soon as I got on the bike, I grabbed the first gel. The top did not tear off so I had to mess with it to get it ripped open. I also carried two bottles on the bike, one with water and the other with gatorade. Over the bike course, I drank 2/3 of both bottles. I enjoyed the ride and felt good when it was over. I did not wear socks.

Make sure that the gel will open when I pull it off the bike. Make sure to drink all the water on the bike portion
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Bike in was fine. Mary was right outside next to my rack and greated me as I put up my bike. Short conversation as I changed shoes. Thought about putting on socks but decided to run without them.

practice the transition
Run
  • 1h 12m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I used my HR montor to adjust my running pace. It seemed to work well as I started aroung 11 minute miles and ended around 12 minute miles. I walked through the water stations and genrally took both Gatorade and water at each one. I was shooting for a 3:15 time and saw the finishing clock almost at that point so I sprinted the last 200 yards

spend more time traing for the run
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water. Removed my shoes and ate a banana. Talked with a few people and finally was able to get a beer. Perfect ending.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not pushing myself in training.

Last updated: 2012-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:39 | 1640 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 276/319
Performance: Average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: A rectangle. Out-over-back under a pier to Higgs Beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:28 | 24.85 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 222/319
Performance: Good
HR 158 average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:42 | 06.21 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/14
Overall: 288/319
Performance: Average
HR 170 Average
Course: out and back along the waters edge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes