General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
50F / 10C
Total Time = 2h 03m 40s
Overall Rank = 3862/22088
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 483/1620
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Vegas on Friday with my wife after much deliberation on whether or not she's accompany me or say at home with the kids. In the end, she came with me and the kids stayed with grandma and grandpa. Stayed at LVH the first night and the next day after the expo checked in to the Mirage. Contemplated transferring to the marathon at the expo, but thankfully my wife talked me out of that silliness. However, she decided at the expo she'd sign up and run the half too. We took it easy on Saturday after getting settled at the Mirage and took it easy on Sunday too. Left the hotel around 3PM to head to the start village. Met up with a friend and headed to corral #4 (I had predicted a 1:49 finish when I signed up).
Event warmup:

Not much. Does eating at a buffet count?
Run
  • 2h 03m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This is without a doubt my most poorly executed race I can think of. My half marathon PR is a 1:53:21, so I figured so long as I was under 2 hours, I'd be happy. I'd run 13 miles on Thanksgiving day and felt great. Today I went out too hard (hence the 8:19 mile) and every mile after that was slower than the previous. After we turned back down south, the wind was howling in our face and I subcomed to the walk of shame and walked through an aid station, then I walked again and again. Thankfully when my wife and I ran past each other she saw me and waved to me and even more thankfully, I wasn't walking at the time. After I finished I was even more happy I hadn't signed up for the marathon. I waited for my wife to finish and then we headed back to the hotel to clean up and rest up for a bit before getting a bite to eat.

1 8:32.2;
2 8:19.5;
3 8:29.0;
4 8:38.4;
5 8:44.5;
6 8:54.4;
7 9:10.8;
8 9:21.6;
9 9:50.2;
10 9:49.6;
11 10:16.2;
12 10:39.2;
13 10:41.6;
14 2:13.1
What would you do differently?:

I definitely went out a bit too hard. I should have been in the 8:45-9:00 range but I started out with a friend who's faster than me. I never really felt like I was trying to keep up with him, but if I had dropped back a corral or two I might not have been so tempted to speed up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to gear check, drank my chocolate milk, water, gatorade, etc. Met my friend and waited for his wife to finish. After she arrived I waited for my wife to finish while trying not to throw up. :) Success!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Went out too hard at the beginning and got my HR to a place where I couldn't recover it. The strong headwind at the end was an added burdon while I was already tired.

Event comments:

2476 out of 8600 men
Garmin Data:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/249235055

RnR did a great job turning this race around from last year. However, I don't know if I'll do this again just due to the nature of it being an evening race and the additional expense of traveling to Las Vegas. If I do it again, I'll run the full so I get more miles for my dollars.

Last updated: 2012-09-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:40 | 13.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 483/1620
Overall: 3862/22088
Performance: Below average
Average HR: 184!!!
Course: Started at Mandalay Bay, 1 mile south on the LVB, then a U-Turn North on the strip past Stratosphere, some noodling around at the North end and then finally south on the strip finishing at the Mirage.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-06 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon

2012-12-07 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4525386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon
Never, ever think too poorly of a finish Wade (especially one fairly close to your average or PR)!  This race had its challenges (wind, late start, crowded field), and managing to overcome them without totally blowing your race is a win in itself.  Congrats on another race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed