General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression Part 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-17 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4537391

Subject: RE: Depression Part 3
I'm not a doctor or a mental health professional and I have not read the first two posts (this is listed as post 3) but based on what I've read I would say that you should consider seeing a psychiatrist for a medication evaluation in addition to your regular sessions with a therapist (if you have one). Those who have responded are well meaning and have offered some good advice but only professionals can help pull you out of a deep depression and sometimes only with the help of medication. I apologize if I missed that in one of our previous posts and wish you the best of luck.

2012-12-17 10:25 PM

Regular

I would like to thank all of you for your posts.  When dealing with a subject such as this, people speak from the heart and I understand that even if they don't know my full story.  And how could you after only reading a few posts from me.  I opened up my self to this forum and accept all the opinions that are shared.  I am not defensive about someones stance and can only offer my story. 

I do want you to know a couple more things about me.  I have been seeing a doctor for quite some time and have been on medication just as long.  I do not like that I have to take medication but it does help many of the symptoms of depression and my anxiety.  

The other thing, just so you know is that I have never been to a blues club before in my life, and have never been to an NFL game or anything like that.  That was simply my friends trying their best to get me out and help me out of my depression and to show me a good time.  As for fly fishing, I did go to the Green River, but went there by myself so I could think.  Fly fishing for me is very meditative and allows my mind to relax and helps me to focus my thoughts and to think more clearly.  After I left the river that day, I was emotionally much stronger, and was doing much better than I had been in quite a long time.  

Again, thank you for your thoughts and I am working on being in a better place.  Mentally I mean.  

2012-12-17 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4538987

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
JasenGuy - 2012-12-17 5:54 PM
Muskrat37 - 2012-12-17 1:20 PM

First - you have big ba**s for throwing this on a thread with a bunch of type A's to hammer you.  

Second - to everyone saying the OP is selfish, I'm just shocked.  I'm guessing that the people saying this don't have much experience dealing with someone that is suffering from a true depression.  What good will the OP be to his family (wife and/or daughter) if he is depressed?  Clinical depression is not something that someone can "snap out of" or just "wake up from."  Clinical depression takes years of treatment and sometimes medication.  Being around someone that is clinically depressed can be depressing for the non depressed loved ones and can also be incredibly frustrating.  For the wife and daughter it can lead to a feeling of helplessness because they want to help you, but are powerless to do so.  This can lead to anxiety and a whole host of mental health issues (especially for the daughter).  

My guess is that the OP is doing his wife and daughter a favor by not being there right now.

I'm sorry, what exactly are you basing your diagnosis of clinical depression on? From what I recall, the OP was just fine until he had to move to a different state. (OP, please correct me if I'm wrong.) His recovery began as soon as he left and started hanging out with his friends going out to football games, ect. In fact, I believe his break through moment occurred one night at a Blues club...Without knowing anything besides what is being offered here, it sounds more like the lifestyle that he was leading was bumming him out and he needed to go out and live the life he had prior to starting a family. For what it's worth, I have dealt with people who are depressed. And let me tell you, moving to a different state and kickin it with your boys does not lead to emotional and mental breakthroughs.

I don't know the OP enough to call him selfish either...But I certainly don't know him enough to call him clinically depressed.

Besides, if you go into an internet forum and ask opinions on very sensitive issues like the one that has been presented, you shouldn't be shocked by the responses...

I am not a psychiatrist and therefore can't diagnose someone as "clinically" depressed.   It was a conclusion I drew based on his description of events.  

Clinical or not - depression is not an easy thing to deal with and I stand by what I said.  To me, it sounds like more than "the lifestyle that he was leading was bumming him out and he needed to go out and live the life he had prior to starting a family."

I do agree that recovering from depression is not as easy as "moving to a different state and kickin it with your boys" though I would guess there was a lot more to getting from point A to point B than the OP shared with us.  Maybe even things he doesn't understand himself at this point.  A year from now he may look back on it and realize this point.

"Besides, if you go into an internet forum and ask opinions on very sensitive issues like the one that has been presented, you shouldn't be shocked by the responses..." - I don't know if he was shocked by the responses...I know I was.  It was amazing to me how quickly the "you are being selfish" attitude popped out.  Not knocking anyone for their opinion - it's just my opinion and I personally was shocked.  I respect some of those that said that about the OP..it wasn't an attack on anyone.  

2012-12-17 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4539121

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
whitecloud - 2012-12-17 8:25 PM

I would like to thank all of you for your posts.  When dealing with a subject such as this, people speak from the heart and I understand that even if they don't know my full story.  And how could you after only reading a few posts from me.  I opened up my self to this forum and accept all the opinions that are shared.  I am not defensive about someones stance and can only offer my story. 

I do want you to know a couple more things about me.  I have been seeing a doctor for quite some time and have been on medication just as long.  I do not like that I have to take medication but it does help many of the symptoms of depression and my anxiety.  

The other thing, just so you know is that I have never been to a blues club before in my life, and have never been to an NFL game or anything like that.  That was simply my friends trying their best to get me out and help me out of my depression and to show me a good time.  As for fly fishing, I did go to the Green River, but went there by myself so I could think.  Fly fishing for me is very meditative and allows my mind to relax and helps me to focus my thoughts and to think more clearly.  After I left the river that day, I was emotionally much stronger, and was doing much better than I had been in quite a long time.  

Again, thank you for your thoughts and I am working on being in a better place.  Mentally I mean.  

Good luck and remember....like with anything else - your hard work will pay off.  

I'll be pulling for you from Washington.  

2012-12-17 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4539123

User image

Pro
Muskrat37 - 2012-12-17 10:27 PM

First - you have big ba**s for throwing this on a thread with a bunch of type A's to hammer you.  

Second - to everyone saying the OP is selfish, I'm just shocked.  I'm guessing that the people saying this don't have much experience dealing with someone that is suffering from a true depression.  What good will the OP be to his family (wife and/or daughter) if he is depressed?  Clinical depression is not something that someone can "snap out of" or just "wake up from."  Clinical depression takes years of treatment and sometimes medication.  Being around someone that is clinically depressed can be depressing for the non depressed loved ones and can also be incredibly frustrating.  For the wife and daughter it can lead to a feeling of helplessness because they want to help you, but are powerless to do so.  This can lead to anxiety and a whole host of mental health issues (especially for the daughter).  

My guess is that the OP is doing his wife and daughter a favor by not being there right now.

I'm sorry, what exactly are you basing your diagnosis of clinical depression on? From what I recall, the OP was just fine until he had to move to a different state. (OP, please correct me if I'm wrong.) His recovery began as soon as he left and started hanging out with his friends going out to football games, ect. In fact, I believe his break through moment occurred one night at a Blues club...Without knowing anything besides what is being offered here, it sounds more like the lifestyle that he was leading was bumming him out and he needed to go out and live the life he had prior to starting a family. For what it's worth, I have dealt with people who are depressed. And let me tell you, moving to a different state and kickin it with your boys does not lead to emotional and mental breakthroughs.

I don't know the OP enough to call him selfish either...But I certainly don't know him enough to call him clinically depressed.

Besides, if you go into an internet forum and ask opinions on very sensitive issues like the one that has been presented, you shouldn't be shocked by the responses...

I am not a psychiatrist and therefore can't diagnose someone as "clinically" depressed.   It was a conclusion I drew based on his description of events.  

Clinical or not - depression is not an easy thing to deal with and I stand by what I said.  To me, it sounds like more than "the lifestyle that he was leading was bumming him out and he needed to go out and live the life he had prior to starting a family."

I do agree that recovering from depression is not as easy as "moving to a different state and kickin it with your boys" though I would guess there was a lot more to getting from point A to point B than the OP shared with us.  Maybe even things he doesn't understand himself at this point.  A year from now he may look back on it and realize this point.

"Besides, if you go into an internet forum and ask opinions on very sensitive issues like the one that has been presented, you shouldn't be shocked by the responses..." - I don't know if he was shocked by the responses...I know I was.  It was amazing to me how quickly the "you are being selfish" attitude popped out.  Not knocking anyone for their opinion - it's just my opinion and I personally was shocked.  I respect some of those that said that about the OP..it wasn't an attack on anyone.  

I feel selfish for feeling like he was feeling selfish for feeling the way he felt about his feelings.

2012-12-17 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4539128

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Left Brain - 2012-12-17 8:34 PM
Muskrat37 - 2012-12-17 10:27 PM

I feel selfish for feeling like he was feeling selfish for feeling the way he felt about his feelings.

For some reason I think I know what you mean.  

2012-12-18 4:13 AM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
I wish you all the best. Internet forum or not, I can tell you are trying to do he right thing. I grew up with (relatively) everything i needed and have no experiences from which to relate to your situation. I just say keep fighting, work on identifying whya sleeping you down and get through it. Can't imagine it's easy, but stay positive and keep working and I hope things get better for you.
2012-12-18 5:22 AM
in reply to: #4538906

User image

Expert

If your wife wants to work on the marriage. Do it!

If you need to move out.. why go to Colorado across the country?

You still need to be a dad whether or not you guys live together... You cannot be a dad 5 states away.

Depression is hard.. but so is everything. 

(I am speaking on one who has been there on all fronts.)

Edited by KateTri1 2012-12-18 5:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression Part 3 Rss Feed  

of 2