General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is bike fit really that important? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-06 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4563743

Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Is bike fit really that important?

jmug23,

I think your question in the text of your original post was just right.  It looks like some responders addressed the question in the title and didn't read or pay attention to what you wrote in the post itself.

2013-01-06 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4565162

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Day-Day - 2013-01-06 6:03 PM

jmug23,

I think your question in the text of your original post was just right.  It looks like some responders addressed the question in the title and didn't read or pay attention to what you wrote in the post itself.

Okay, I'll bite on this: Sure, you can make adjustments to stack and reach of "any" frame of the right general size and make it "fit" (of course you also need to address the fore/aft of the saddle as well, which stack and reach completely ignore). All that does is get your contact points in the right place, disregarding how those adjustments affect your weight distribution on the bike. There's a reason we don't still ride road bike with long stems and forward-facing seatposts -- it did HORRENDOUS things to the handling of those otherwise mild-mannered road bikes.

So, as I said before, sure, you can make the contact points on just about any bike "work", and it'll ride just fine... on the trainer. But take it off the trainer where it actually has to be controlled, and it'll shock you how different a well-fitting bike will ride.

2013-01-07 5:19 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Dave got it right as usual!

Think about bike fit this way, do you want to have a bike that fits YOU, or do you want to fit YOU to the bike? That's really the difference between having a well fitting bike with minimal amount of adjustments versus buying a bike then hoping to make it work.
2013-01-07 5:52 AM
in reply to: #4564550

User image

GMAN 19030 - 2013-01-06 11:09 AM

Which brings up the point that bike fits tend to be dynamic in nature.  A fit that worked for you two years ago might not be optimal now.

I was "fitted" when I bought my bike a year or so ago. They put me up on a trainer and measured some angles and such. Took the bike off the trainer and sent me on my way (this was my first ever bike since I was about 8 years old).

I rode that bike, in that configuration for several tri's, a metric, and a century. When I moved, I had the bike broken down and rebuilt once it was shipped to my destination. Everything was marked as to where it was before it was broken down and it was built back up with the exact specifications as were marked. I started feeling stretched out and just not comfortable (I also ramped up my training). I took the bike to our local shop and had the owner take a look (he also races Pro over here in Europe). He immediately saw some serious problems and many, many changes were made. He said that they sold me the correct size frame and stem, but that just about everything else was wrong. He said that I was loosing out on about 20% power! That's a huge amount in my opinion and if I can gain even 10% increase in power with a few changes I will be totally satisfied!

So yes, getting the right size frame/stem might work for you, but that doesn't mean that the bike will actually fit you!

2013-01-11 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4564183

brigby1 - 2013-01-05 10:58 PM

Quigley - 2013-01-05 5:02 PM I have no doubt that my bike doesn't fit. Even being totaly stupid I know the reach to the bars is uncomfortably long (and I'm 6'2"). But I can't ride for more than 2 hours (due to butt pain, knee pain, and my shoulders ache, my feet are sound asleep, etc) and can't quite justify the expense of a new bike for a hobby that I can't even do for more than 2 hours. Would getting a bike that fits correctly take away that tailbone pain and numb toes? Or does that come with any bike?

Possibly, it depends on just what the issue is. If the fitter is good, they may be able find if it's something with the position or if you have some physical issues that may need to be addressed. Something is definitely going on though.

Curious though, is this on a trainer or outdoors? If both, is there a difference between the settings? Are you taking stand-up breaks? The trainer is usually a bit tougher on the rider with these things.

I am scheduled for a basic ($100) fitting this weekend so we'll see if that helps.

When I am outside my toes fall asleep within 15 minutes. Within 40 minutes my crotch is dead and but my feet are so asleep they no longer hurt. Then my quads start to get cranky and not in the good tired sort of way.

On the trainer I tend to sit up more, so my tailbone takes a beating and that pain doesn't recover before the next ride. My feet don't fall asleep as quickly because, I think, I am sitting up more.

I've learned to love running even though I am painfully slow and feel like I could run forever now. I want to feel that on the bike!
2013-01-12 10:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Before I bought my Cervelo I got a Calfee fit to know what size to order. It cost $100. The bike shop then deducted $100 off the bike price to pay for the Calfee. I then got a $100 complete fit when I picked up the bike from the same fit guy (an ex pro biker here in town). After doing some 150 and 200mi one day rides last year I can say my bike is fit perfectly to me. It is worth anything it may cost you, if you are riding long distance. And we all have our own definition of long distance.

2013-01-13 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4563829

User image

Expert

Quigley - 2013-01-05 6:02 PM I have no doubt that my bike doesn't fit. Even being totaly stupid I know the reach to the bars is uncomfortably long (and I'm 6'2"). But I can't ride for more than 2 hours (due to butt pain, knee pain, and my shoulders ache, my feet are sound asleep, etc) and can't quite justify the expense of a new bike for a hobby that I can't even do for more than 2 hours. Would getting a bike that fits correctly take away that tailbone pain and numb toes? Or does that come with any bike?

I've ridden a roadie with shorty bars for 2 years and I start to feel bad after the 20 mile mark. But it pretty much fits me. I've had it fitted by great "fitters"

I got my new perfect sized Tri-bike yesterday and got it fitted by someone who is an expert tri-bike fitter. OMFG.

I rode 45 miles this morning and I could have rode 50 more. More comfort, more efficiency, definitely leading to more power. 

fit is EVERYTHING!!!!!

Edited by KateTri1 2013-01-13 1:10 PM
2013-01-14 9:54 AM

User image

Stuart, FL
My wife had bike fit issues and after getting a professional bike fit she made immediate gains in her cycling and had no back/neck pain in her Ironman and stayed aero 95% of the time.
2013-01-30 2:18 PM

I went for a fitting at the cheapest place around as a "let's just see what happens" before I spend $300 for a fitting. Basically I spent $125 for a new stem and seat post and was told that it was as good as it was gonna get unless I got a smaller frame bike. I guess it is time to schedule that hoity toity tri-fitting and start looking at bikes. Not sure if I should cry about the $$ or do a happy dance!
2013-01-30 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4601705

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Quigley - 2013-01-30 12:18 PM I went for a fitting at the cheapest place around as a "let's just see what happens" before I spend $300 for a fitting. Basically I spent $125 for a new stem and seat post and was told that it was as good as it was gonna get unless I got a smaller frame bike. I guess it is time to schedule that hoity toity tri-fitting and start looking at bikes. Not sure if I should cry about the $$ or do a happy dance!

This is why the advice is always to get the fit done before buying the bike.

2013-01-30 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4564611

User image

Pro
the bear - 2013-01-06 10:14 AM

Compromised handling at speeds in excess of 40mph isn't as big an issue when running.

^^^LOL

mostly because your running shoes are wider and less prone to flatting than tires.

2013-01-30 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I will play some devils advocate here. If bike fit is amazing why do I see IM podium finishers w/o a "professional" fit? Why do I see athletes changing their "professional" bike fits right before races and having great races? 

Last year I was given two choices for fitting: Retul for $250 with a guy who just took a basic course, or a guy with 25 years experience who does it all by sight and charges $40. Sometimes all the high-tech gadgets are not needed, just ask the guy who dropped his 100 yard swim average by switching from the top level wetsuit to the bottom level wetsuit.

2013-01-30 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4601839

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
bcagle25 - 2013-01-30 2:04 PM

Last year I was given two choices for fitting: Retul for $250 with a guy who just took a basic course, or a guy with 25 years experience who does it all by sight and charges $40. Sometimes all the high-tech gadgets are not needed, just ask the guy who dropped his 100 yard swim average by switching from the top level wetsuit to the bottom level wetsuit.

Given that choice, I'd go with the guy that has 25 years experience, regardless of the price.

2013-01-30 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4601839

bcagle25 - 2013-01-30 4:04 PM

I will play some devils advocate here. If bike fit is amazing why do I see IM podium finishers w/o a "professional" fit? Why do I see athletes changing their "professional" bike fits right before races and having great races? 

I actually agree with you but don't think that underplays the value of a good fit. 

Some athletes simply prefer a fit that they've grown up with and trained with, even if ReTUL or other standard recommendation fits say it's suboptimal. If they are professionals, they also likely will test their results in both positions with power data to back it up to make sure what they're doing is working. This doesn't mean that a good fit for amateurs is crucially important, even if you might be one of the few who does better without a pro fit and just going with what you've been doing. 

It's analogous to the aero helmet situation in IM. Some pros, like Chrissie in some races at Kona, simply didn't use the aero helmet. Concerns about overheating, etc. Still doesn't mean an aero helmet is very effective for others that day on the same course. 

I would go so far as to say that if you get aero wheels prior to getting a pro fit, you're missing out on the real aerodynamic gains in terms of bang for buck. Your wheels might get you an extra 40-60sec/hr, but your suboptimal aero setup may cost you 90-120 seconds (or more) per hour compared to a recommended optimal fit. 

2013-01-31 9:02 AM

New user
I recently took my road bike in when I but aero bars on there to make sure I was in an optimal position and am glad I did because they moved my seat about 4cm higher. I was a tad embarrassed to be that far off, but now I am real anxious to get out on the road to feel the difference. I am secretly hoping for a little more power now that I am in the proper position.
2013-01-31 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Thought a "basic fit" was all I ever needed.....and of course posting a pic of me and saying "critique my fit".

But now, I'm a believer!!!!!

Click on my blog (link below).

Just had a Retul fit done yesterday.

Before and after pics posted.....holy lord....HUGE difference

2013-02-01 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4601725

briderdt - 2013-01-30 2:25 PM

Quigley - 2013-01-30 12:18 PM I went for a fitting at the cheapest place around as a "let's just see what happens" before I spend $300 for a fitting. Basically I spent $125 for a new stem and seat post and was told that it was as good as it was gonna get unless I got a smaller frame bike. I guess it is time to schedule that hoity toity tri-fitting and start looking at bikes. Not sure if I should cry about the $$ or do a happy dance!

This is why the advice is always to get the fit done before buying the bike.

Right. I will get the hoity toity fitting before buying a new bike. My current bike was purchased used 20+ years ago as a college kid.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is bike fit really that important? Rss Feed  

of 2