General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » It's better to try then fail than fail to try. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-07 11:44 AM

Subject: It's better to try then fail than fail to try.

Im Karen (42) and I live in NC with my hubby and 10 year old daughter (and a bunch of pets). I have moved about the states for 12 years now (I am originally from the UK).

I by no means consider myself an athlete but I do have  fierce willpower when I really get motivated (which doesn't happen very often,hence I'm about 20lbs overweight)

About 4 years ago,  I decided to 'do' a marathon,just because there was a local one. I don't run (Im built more for sprinting short distances and for some reason just haven't been able to do it) so I walked the entire 26.2 miles in 5 hours and 45 minutes. Since then I've walked a few 8k's and 5k's.

I enjoy biking ,but its mainly family trails etc, And I do head to the pool in the summer, that's about it. However there's nothing like a challenge.

Our local Rec center is putting on a sprint tri in MAY so I figured why not. I am in the same mind frame as I was when I decided to do the marathon. I intend to finish, That's my goal.

2013-01-08 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4566165

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: It's better to try then fail than fail to try.

Hi Karen, welcome to BT and triathlon!

Lots of great free training programs here and you could always jump in an open mentor group too. Good luck!

2013-01-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4566165

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: It's better to try then fail than fail to try.
Yes it is better to try than to fail, but Homer Simpson says "Why try? It's the first step towards failure."  I used to only "do" marathons, then I decided I'd "do" and Ironman (the race).  Well, I tried and succeeded.  You'll be fine.  Get in the pool now.  You can run.  Get yerself a bike.  I borrowed mine for a few sprint distance and then bought one.  I 'got' one of my co-workers who had experience with swimming to analyze my stroke once or twice and I already knew how to run.  You'll be fine.  Keep us posted.  This is a great place for advice...of course, some of it is just there to make us laugh...Wink
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » It's better to try then fail than fail to try. Rss Feed