General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning bike vs. indoor fluid trainers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-28 1:51 PM

Subject: Spinning bike vs. indoor fluid trainers
I live in a high traffic area, so I do a lot of bike training at my gym on a spin bike. what would be the advantage if any of training on a fluid trainer? Is there much of difference? Is training on a Spin bike effective? I am dripping sweat after a workout on it. Just want to make sure I am preparing myself properly. (First sprint tri - July 30th)

2006-06-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: #468823

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Spinning bike vs. indoor fluid trainers
I like my bike on a trainer. Even though its not on the road, I still like the feel of my own bike, how it shifts, how it sounds when something isn't right with it, etc. And I don't have to leave the house to do it!
2006-06-28 11:40 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
hoboken1 - 2006-06-28 1:51 PM what would be the advantage if any of training on a fluid trainer? Is there much of difference? Is training on a Spin bike effective? (First sprint tri - July 30th)

I do all three - spin, trainer, and actually riding the bike.

The advantage of a trainer over spin class is that you are on your bike with your own geometery, feel, shifting, etc.

There is some difference. See above, plus being clipped in versus cages, crank arm length, shifting gears rather than changing tension.

Yes, Spin class can be an effective part of training, especially if you have a good instructor who does workouts that aren't just Anerobic, but it shouldn't be your only training.

Spinning can't teach bike handling skills (steering, braking, changes due to wind, etc). It can develop leg strength, aerobic conditioning, and cadence control.
2006-06-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #469308

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

mnewton - 2006-06-28 11:40 PM
hoboken1 - 2006-06-28 1:51 PM what would be the advantage if any of training on a fluid trainer? Is there much of difference? Is training on a Spin bike effective? (First sprint tri - July 30th)
I do all three - spin, trainer, and actually riding the bike. The advantage of a trainer over spin class is that you are on your bike with your own geometery, feel, shifting, etc. There is some difference. See above, plus being clipped in versus cages, crank arm length, shifting gears rather than changing tension. Yes, Spin class can be an effective part of training, especially if you have a good instructor who does workouts that aren't just Anerobic, but it shouldn't be your only training. Spinning can't teach bike handling skills (steering, braking, changes due to wind, etc). It can develop leg strength, aerobic conditioning, and cadence control.

Totally agree here.  I actually have a very nice spin bike at home and then my road bike.  I'm going to probably still get a trainer because I have the space and there are times when the spinner is better and times when the trainer is better.

Spinner: Great if you are working on high resist stuff.  I can crank my spinner down to tensions that I can't approach on a trainer. Also great for isolating a single kind of movement (one leg drills) since you aren't worrying about the balance of a bike.

Trainer: All the benfits mentioned above.  I haven't been on a trainer that could give me the resist I want for high resist drills but I really like them for being able to shift and for having to concentrate more on balance.  Also nice just to build time in the seat for your specific bike.

Downside to both: the handling skills mnewton brought up.  Wind and hills (even rollers) are a big impact on real world cycling.  You can simulate it on a trainer or a spinner (by adjusting tension) but it won't feel anywhere near the same when it actually happens.

That's just my experience with the three.

2007-01-12 12:40 AM

User image

>> I can crank my spinner down to tensions that I can't approach on a trainer

pls give some suggestion for good spinning bikes 

2007-01-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #470897

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
jmcelroy - 2006-06-30 10:39 AM
Spinner: Great if you are working on high resist stuff.  I can crank my spinner down to tensions that I can't approach on a trainer.

You must be a freaking beast, my friend! Seriously, I've tried riding my CycleOps Fluid 2 in the 53/12 gear. I have to imagine that 90 RPM in that gear would require at least 700-800 watts, if not more.

While nothing feels like the road, trainers are definitely closer than a spin bike. There's also definite advantages to riding the same bike in the same position that you will use for racing.

The big benefit of using a fluid trainer is that there's no adjusting of tension to do. You shift to a larger gear, and the resistance increases. On my 39/23, 90 RPM will cost me about 80 watts. Drop down to the 16 cog, and that 90 RPM is going to cost me closer to 210 watts.

Edited by dgunthert 2007-01-12 12:21 PM

2007-01-12 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
I like my bike on a fluid trainer for long Z2 indoor bike work.
It fits me better than a spin bike.

However, a nice spin bike works very well for high power work and isolation moves.

I don't know if I would really use a spin bike at home though.
My local spin classes are fun.
2007-01-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: #652328

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

dgunthert - 2007-01-12 12:16 PM
jmcelroy - 2006-06-30 10:39 AM Spinner: Great if you are working on high resist stuff.  I can crank my spinner down to tensions that I can't approach on a trainer.
You must be a freaking beast, my friend! Seriously, I've tried riding my CycleOps Fluid 2 in the 53/12 gear. I have to imagine that 90 RPM in that gear would require at least 700-800 watts, if not more. While nothing feels like the road, trainers are definitely closer than a spin bike. There's also definite advantages to riding the same bike in the same position that you will use for racing. The big benefit of using a fluid trainer is that there's no adjusting of tension to do. You shift to a larger gear, and the resistance increases. On my 39/23, 90 RPM will cost me about 80 watts. Drop down to the 16 cog, and that 90 RPM is going to cost me closer to 210 watts.

Hehe I never even saw this reply until just now.

I actually sold my spin bike about a month ago as I needed the extra floorspace and I am pretty much on the trainer instead of the spin bike.  I hear what your saying about watts.  I can put out a bunch of watts but I've come to understand this doesn't mean much in Tri's because I don't have the endurance to sustain those watts and still run at the end.

When I used the spin bike a ton (before doing tris) I would do 30 minutes at about 90rpm at a tension level much higher then my trainer can manage.  However, there is no way I could have run afterwards for anything more then a mile and stairs were a joke.

I still say that those are the possible disadvantages but for Tri training I am now focusing more on attempting the best wattage I can sustain and still run afterwards and for this purpose the trainer is more then adequit.

As for spin bike recommendations the Lemond is a good one as is the Vision fitness indoor cycle.  Expect to pay 1k or so for a good spin bike,  at least in my experience (I liked one I could hardly hear and has really smooth tension adjustments).

2007-01-13 12:13 AM

User image

>> I would do 30 minutes at about 90rpm at a tension level much higher then my trainer can manage.  However, there is no way I could have run afterwards for anything more then a mile and stairs were a joke.

you do more intense during training does not mean you need to do the same during a race, right ? It is still up to you to leave some more energy for the run during a race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning bike vs. indoor fluid trainers Rss Feed