General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Pete Beach Classic - The Chase Classic 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Pete Beach Classic - The Chase Classic 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Petersburg, Florida
United States
St. Pete Beach Classic
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 54m 3s
Overall Rank = 122/232
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/29
Pre-race routine:

The 10k didn't go off until 8:45 so there was some down time after the 5k. I tried to stay loose and warm.
Event warmup:

I just did some easy runs up and down the street to stay loose and keep warm. It was still bit chilly for me.
Run
  • 54m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off at an easy pace to feel out my legs. Little tired but didn't think I'd have an problems with the run. Well they were a little out of sync. After about a mile and a half some little problems started creeping up. Every now and again my right foot would hit my left calf during a stride so I wound up with this big bruise there. So had to consciously not try to have my leg swing in. And the insides of both ankles got bruised as well. wtf? lol. Stuff I'd never got in training, even pushing tempo pace. Unfortunately, as the race unfolded, my left foot started bothering me. Then my right hip began to tighten up. I was thinking 'damn-it, what next?' Well I tried to tweak my stride towards the last few miles to see if I could alleviate the problems. I open up my stride a bit and increased speed, that helped a bit but then I fatigued faster. The last mile was a struggle. I was hurting. Didn't stop, but it was a very tough finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not do a multi-run event the weekend after an HIM. Hah!
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered through the food tent to grab some grub. They had a great selection of food: bananas, grapes, oranges, sliced bagels, muffins and pastries. For warm stuff they had a great shrimp and rice dish, and some endamame salad. So I had a banana, a bagel slice, some of the shrimp and endamame salad, ooh it was tasty! Oh, they also had little containers of low-fat milk. My favorite! Was really happy with the food. Sat down and ate, then stretched. Got back to the car, drove home and took a nice frigid water dip for my legs in the pool. Ate and then took a nap to get ready for the 3.8 mile beach run at 5pm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Just run more.

Event comments:

St. Pete Beach Classic is a great race. Great venue, volunteers and overall support. They also have plenty of after race food and drink options. Good swag too. The weather is always perfect.

Last updated: 2012-10-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:03 | 06.21 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/29
Overall: 122/232
Performance: Good
Course: Nice flat and fast course through St. Pete Beach neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-01-20 2:57 PM

New user

Subject: St. Pete Beach Classic - The Chase Classic 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Pete Beach Classic - The Chase Classic 10K Rss Feed