General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiger Triathlon benefiting Clemson Community Care Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tiger Triathlon benefiting Clemson Community Care - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clemson, South Carolina
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 29s
Overall Rank = 24/55
Age Group = 25-29 Male
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00. Stopped at the store; grabbed a powerbar and gatorade (forgot both at the house, like an idiot).
Event warmup:

Just did my normal 6-8 minute jog to loosen the hamstrings; stretched. I think I warmed up early; I don't like to sit around for 20-30 minutes allowing muscles to tighten.
Swim
  • 07m 56s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was actually happy with my swim--right on goal of 2:00 min for 100 yards. Not bad considering it was my 2nd time in the pool all year long. My training plan has me biking & running only.
What would you do differently?:

Don't really know. Saw some people swim less than 6:00 for 400 yards, which is about 15-20 seconds per 100 yards faster than me. I don't know if I can invest hours of time just to shave off a few seconds on the swim...I'd rather focus on the bike & run.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I decided to do this race the day before the event, and haven't practiced transition at all. This was my 2nd triathlon (both sprints), and i wanted to make sure I dried off a little better than my 1st sprint...no other issues....I don't see why I couldn't shave off 1 minute in transition, though.

Just move quicker. I took my time drying off, getting shoes on, putting on helmet...the whole deal. And it took me about 20 seconds to decide whether to bike in socks (my 1st race in my new clip-in shoes) since I dont' run in socks for races...oh well, it better than my 1st tri---took someone to tell me that I had my helmet on backwards in transition in that race:)
Bike
  • 45m 45s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I think this time included my T2 transition time, according to my watch. I spent probably 1:15 or so in T2. Overall, the bike sucked. It was awful. I have spent the last 8 weeks doing an off-season plan that improves speed, which is all heart-rate monitored, and stresses intervals. I honestly just felt dead on the bike, and didn't want to push too hard. I was more concerned with my heartrate getting into Zone 5 that I completely forgot that I was racing. I also was afraid that, if I did push too hard, that my legs would feel like jello like they did after my 1st tri (even though I've done lots of bricks and haven't had that problem at all year). I've done enough interval training to know that my legs can recover..

Push harder. If my heartrate gets into Zone 5, who cares?
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

T2 didn't help that the girl next to me decided to rack her bike at an angle that forced me to move her bike, along with some of her stuff, out of the way. Frustrating, but oh well.

Not much. I unclipped (it was my first ride out on the roads in my tri shoes....I've been doing all trainer work thus far in the garage) with no issues; had no other issues in T2.
Run
  • 22m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt strong, but I could/should have pushed much harder. I left way too much out on the course, which is encouraging considering my pace was about 7:15. But, running is my strongest of the 3 sports.

Push a bit harder, especially after the uphill. Like everyone else, the 1st uphill by the football stadium took your breath away. Once i got over the hill, I felt the need to recover for about 1 mile before picking my pace. I don't know why.
Post race
Event comments:

This race, even though my 2nd, paid dividends. It made me realize that even by doing training on the bike indoors that I was totally unprepared and unwilling to fight the hills like I've done during interval training. Also, made me realize how slow I was in transition, and also that I left a lot on the course after the run.

Last updated: 2010-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:56 | 400 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:45 | 12.4 miles | 16.26 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly. I was not prepared.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:06 | 03.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 1st 1/2 mile: Downhill on 1 side of the Football Stadium, then Uphill on the other side...the uphill was killer. Passed 3 people just on this. The next mile was pretty flat from what I remember. Mile 1.5 went back up some small inclines. It was flat/downhill from mile 2 on to the Finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-01-22 9:45 PM

User image

Subject: Tiger Triathlon benefiting Clemson Community Care
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiger Triathlon benefiting Clemson Community Care Rss Feed