General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill Training in Cleremont Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-23 5:56 AM

Subject: Hill Training in Cleremont

After battling chronic injuries for over a decade I'm excited to be signed up for my firsrt triathlon this century! I am registered for the International distance race in Cleremont in March and the Half Ironman in April. I'm training on bridges in south Florida but plan on a couple road trips to Cleremont to ride the courses. Does anyone know of group rides or tri specific training in that area?

2013-01-23 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4590572

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hill Training in Cleremont

Post on the Florida board. I haven't done any group rides over there so I don't know specifics, but whenever I am out there I see TONS of people on the road.

I did a quick google and found this: http://thecyclinghub.com/articles/rides-and-events-pg37.htm The first two and maybe the last one look good.

Good idea to get on those hills before you come up for the race, especially since it's tough for us FLoridians to find good hills. I did the sprint series last summer and am thinking of signing up for the international.

2013-01-23 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4590572

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
The Great Clermont course is pretty easy to follow and most of the worst of the hills are not on the course. There really isn't much to get you out of the saddle. The course map is on the website. If you are looking for something more challenging, try a single loop of the Great Floridian - about 38 miles, or the Florida Challenge course - 56miles. Lots more climbing and more challenging hills. Both course maps are also on the website.

Check the websites for Epic Cycles in Clermont or the Cycling Hub in Clermont if you are looking for group rides, or just show up at waterfront park around 8 AM on Saturday or Sunday and see if you can find a group to tag along with.

Hope that helps.
JB
2013-01-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4591910

Not sure if this will work, but the "famous" hills in Clermont to climb are The Wall, Sugarloaf, Buckhill Rd (going both ways), and Hospital Hill.  Maybe googling these names wil get the locations dialed in....maybe.

Also remember that Sugarloaf can be climbed both ways.  The famous "front" way is short, steep and good training, but the back way to the summit is a great long, slow climb (well, long for Florida).

I once devised a  route that hit Sugarloaf 3x on the front and 1x on the back, Buckhill Rd 2x each way, Hospital hill 1x and the Wall 2x I think.  good times.

2013-01-25 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4593433

User image

Veteran

Haha I don't know about "good times".

Jk that is actually my idea of fun. Yes agree with the above, you can find all those and ride them yourself, although it is on the road and I personally get nervous with cars so I like to do it with buddies.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill Training in Cleremont Rss Feed