Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Women to be cleared for combat roles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-01-24 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4592006

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Women to be cleared for combat roles

I have not read the entire thread, but I'll throw my opinion in.

I have no issue with woman in "combat roles" or "combat MOS's".

As long as...

The standards are NOT dropped for females, pass you are in.

And that all females are required to register for selective service at the age of 18.

2013-01-24 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4593362

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
GomesBolt - 2013-01-24 2:46 PM
trinnas - 2013-01-24 3:12 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-01-24 4:10 PM
trinnas - 2013-01-24 2:53 PM

JC in Cinci - 2013-01-24 3:47 PM The purpose of the military during combat is to kill people and break things. Putting women in that mix will hinder that objective. If that offends you or strikes you as unfair, I'm sorry. JC

Because of course women can't break things and kill people!

You can't fold a map.  That's why?

Nobody uses paper maps anymore!!  Besides since when do men use maps or ask for directions?

You obviously never spent Saturday wandering the woods in Quantico VA.  When your shiny gps thing runs out of juice, you need a map.  When you're designing a defense, you need a map, and when you call for fire, you better have a map.  

I tell you folding maps is on the Y chromosome.  It's not your fault, you just can't do it...

Haha I give it 30 minutes before there is a link to a Youtube of Trin folding a map just to prove you wrong.

2013-01-24 4:10 PM

Master
, California

How do I get that?  I was at the Citadel when it was integrated.  The first woman was a tool of the ACLU and absolutely not the right person to be the first woman at that school.  The school changed a little that year.  The next year 4 new females.  2 were absolutely outstanding and deserved to be there.  2 were not.  The two that were not changed the systems and traditions at the school as they dropped out of school.  The school now has about 15% women and it is more professional, less mean (less hazing) and is succeeding at being a great school.  But it definitely changed.  It does produce exceptional, professional people just like it did when I was there. But again, that's not the purpose of an infantry unit.

I don't want professional infantrymen, I want killers.  

Again, if a woman can hack it, then put tests in-place to let her qualify, but I worry that's not what they'll do in this effort to integrate the units.  They'll make a quota, then drop the requirements for the number.  I know of 2 women who I worked with in the Marine Corps who I could see succeed/survive in an infantry platoon.  They were both officers but only 2 out of hundreds that I served with...

I was at the U.S. Naval Academy slightly before the Citadel allowed women.  But also recall all the service academies were male-only for many years.  Many of the same complaints we hear in this thread were voiced about women going to those schools.  But going along the lines of what you said (infantry mindset), there's a pretty clear cut difference between officers and enlisted.  We want and expect a level of professionalism out of our officers.

The Naval Academy has a fully mixed dorm setup - male and female rooms on the same floor, same companies.  Yeah there's some goofing around but on the whole the people in your class / company are a pretty tight-knit group regardless of gender.  Some excel, some wash out.  For those who finish it out, I have no problem with any service selection they make.

2013-01-24 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4593388

User image

Champion
Alabama
coyote39 - 2013-01-24 3:57 PM

As long as...

And that all females are required to register for selective service at the age of 18.

So if women are given the "option" for an 11-bullet cather (11B) MOS, should men who DON'T want to be an 11B infantryman have the option to opt out? 

2013-01-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4593390

User image

Elite
Aarondb4 - 2013-01-25 8:58 AM

JC in Cinci - 2013-01-24 3:47 PM The purpose of the military during combat is to kill people and break things. Putting women in that mix will hinder that objective. If that offends you or strikes you as unfair, I'm sorry. JC

Nobody uses paper maps anymore!!  Besides since when do men use maps or ask for directions?

You obviously never spent Saturday wandering the woods in Quantico VA.  When your shiny gps thing runs out of juice, you need a map.  When you're designing a defense, you need a map, and when you call for fire, you better have a map.  

I tell you folding maps is on the Y chromosome.  It's not your fault, you just can't do it...

Haha I give it 30 minutes before there is a link to a Youtube of Trin folding a map just to prove you wrong.

Standing joke between my husband and daughter is my inability to read/fold a map.  I get lost every time I go somewhere new - GPS is even worse.  Daughter just rolls her eyes and says - mummy you're so hopeless!

2013-01-24 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4593388

User image

Elite
coyote39 - 2013-01-25 8:57 AM

As long as...

With the conscription thing - if the worst were to happen and there was another war that required conscripting folk into service - if the husband and wife were both of age, who gets called up?  who stays home with the kids?

2013-01-24 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4593347

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
juniperjen - 2013-01-24 3:32 PM
lisac957 - 2013-01-24 11:13 AM
TexasMPGal - 2013-01-24 8:03 AM

People, do not mistake "combat" and the "battlefield" for what this order is dealing with. It is NOT dealing with the idea of keeping women OUT of or IN combat, it is about opening up certain job specialities for women that weren't previously open. it wasn't even "unofficial" that we were in combat before, but rather the job specialities I just mentioned. Those specialities happen to be ones with the explicit missions of "closing with and destroying the enemy." HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you haven't had thousands of women in direct combat roles in Iraq and Afghanistan already. As a Military Police officer, my primary mission was not to close with and destroy the enemy. BUT, if in the course of securing roads, identifying IEDs, operating checkpoints, and serving as a quick reaction force for logistic units caught in an enemy attack, we would and DID encounter the enemy on SCORES of occassions. Those bullet holes in my truck were real. Those slivers of AK-47 rounds I pulled out of my pant leg (but thankfully NOT my leg) were real. The bullets I sent downrange at the enemy were real. The rounds my soldiers fired at the enemy when I told them to were real. The 4 Purple Heart my 2 male and 1 female (she got two) Soldiers received were real. The Bronze Star with V device for Valor that our medic (SHE) received was real. The combat actions badges that we wear, with pride, on our uniforms are real.  Women HAVE been in the thick of combat for the past 11 years. I have seen more combat than some of my male counterparts who have served in Infantry, Armor, and Field Artillery units.  And while, previously, we couldn't be directly assigned to Infantry units, you COULD be "attached." Just like my platoon and I were from Oct-Dec '04 during the offensive in Fallujah. There we did counter mortar/counter rocket patrols with a heavy infantry platoon and cav scout platoon. I am a woman. I have been in combat, HEAVY combat. And I am not expection to that and have many a close female friends who saw more than I did.

Most of the conjectures in this thread about military life are just that, conjectures. Does sexual assault happen in the military? Unfortunately. You know what helps prevent that--the command climate and leadership that is in the place. In my 35 months as a Platoon Leader and 19 months as a Company Commander, my unit did not have ONE case of sexual assault of any type.  We did have a couple of dirt bags that may have been capable of such, but we didn't let them remain in the Army--and by we, I mean my male First Sergeant and I. 

Allowing women in combat is not the issue the order addressed, it's allowing women in combat designated roles. The switch wasn't suddenly turned on yesterday and women aren't in the infantry today. Significant study and work has yet to be done on how to implement it, and the current timeline for full implementation appears to be 2016.  I did not advocate one way or the other for it because, frankly, I was already doing everything like that as an MP. Are there significant implementation implications that the military must address?  Yes, but I have already seen some of the work that they are doing on such. And you know what, UNLIKE when they first allowed women into the Academies in the mid 70's, they actually have women leaders working on these issues (alongside men) to address the totality of it.  And do not assume that just because a woman volunteered to be in the military that it makes them a hard left leaning feminist.  Some are, some are not. Most are just patriots who want to serve their country, be leaders, and provide for their families. We come from all sides of the political spectrum, and our primary goal is serve, NOT make a statement.    

And shame on some of you for stereotyping the type of male soldiers we have. Are there some knuckle dragging, testosterone driven yahoos that make life for everyone hard? YES, there are. But there are also many of the finest gentlemen with character unlike what you often see in the civilian world and who have no issue working with their female counterparts and crushing the idiots who act otherwise.  The view from my foxhole is that the good outnumber the bad, and the more of the good we get into leadership positions, the better the command climates will be and the less any of the bad stuff against male or female will occur.  But do not think the military can ever become immune to societal ills.  There is nothing that we are faced with that isn't reflected in greater numbers and scope in the civilian world.  Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines come from that society. So before questioning the military as the root of why some of the ills in the military happen--question society and address that first.  We can always be better as a military. We are always striving to be better. We will never be perfect. But find me somew workplace that is. I have always felt safe because of two things: the great people I have served with whom I knew had my back (male and female), and the knowledge that is anyone tried anything with me, they were going to regret it.

In the meantime, as an officer in this United States Army (not as a male or a female, but as an officer) with 11 years of commissioned service and 15 total years in uniform, I will continue to do my best to lead properly, to impact my sphere of influence the best that I am able, to create command climates and work enviornments that foster ingenuity and creativity, to grow leaders of character who excel in peacetime and war, to demonstrate how developing trust and cohesion amongst each other in units leads to greater success both collectively and individually than pursuing personal ambitions (be they worthy or criminal), and to always lead by example. My current position gives me access to many of America's future leaders, and I can assure you that those of us officers that are here are pouring our heart and souls into mentoring, molding, and shaping them into the they type of leader of character that will best serve this country and who will take the mantle of honor of leading America's Sons and Daughters with the utmost seriousness and committment to doing the right thing.

I will not debate with anyone here. This is my statement on this. Do not speculate upon what you do not know, and newspaper articles are not the fullness of information.

Quoting for posterity. 
This is the end of the thread in my opinion.
Thank you Brittany for your service and this post. 

bumping again for those who have just joined the thread.

Thanks Jen for bumping it.  I missed it in my scan through all of the other banter.  

Great post too MPGal.  I would question one thing though.  "no sexual assaults" in 35 months and 19 months.  I was a Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Officer (SAPRO) as a side-assignment and I received confidential visits from any troop who wanted to receive some level of treatment/confidential reporting of a sexual assault from two squadrons.  

I was shocked when I received the first, then numb by the 10th.  My gunny would kick anyone out of the office whenever he'd see a female troop ask to speak to me. That made it awkward when the female was just there to drop off a leave form or something like that... 

The official statistics were that 1 in 6 female soldiers were sexually assaulted.  1 in 10 Marines.  But in-fact, the rate was much higher when we started the SAPRO program and announced that troops who were assaulted could see the SAPRO, see medical, see anyone they wanted to without making a formal report.  

Just by pure law of averages, in 54 months of command, if you had more than 10 troops, you would have had at least 1 sexual assault that was not reported.

Assaulted troops (male and female) were serving in silence at a disturbing rate.  

Again, males were in there too.  

To people who talk about sexual assault, it happens to men too.  Read a book or two about troops being captured in any war.  There is always sexual assault on the man or woman captured.  It's not a valid reason for keeping a qualified troop from serving.

2013-01-24 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4593414

User image

jobaxas - 2013-01-24 4:14 PM

As long as...

With the conscription thing - if the worst were to happen and there was another war that required conscripting folk into service - if the husband and wife were both of age, who gets called up?  who stays home with the kids?

If the worst were to happen, they'd conscript your kids too and send them to a battle school in a space station...  Read "Ender's Game". 

But again on the draft.  Just registering doesn't mean you'll get called up. 

Every time they do a draft, they set parameters as to how many, to do what functions, etc.  There were 1000 Men drafted and placed into the Marine Corps in Vietnam and all placed in Admin/Supply/Motor Transport.  That's how specific they get. 

They could call-up 1000 women for specific assignments and they all have to have X eye sight, X hearing, etc.

2013-01-24 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4593405

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Rogillio - 2013-01-24 4:11 PM

As long as...

So if women are given the "option" for an 11-bullet cather (11B) MOS, should men who DON'T want to be an 11B infantryman have the option to opt out? 

You are able to "pick" your MOS before signing your contract for "active duty". I believe the USMC reserves is the only one that will choose your MOS based off of needs.

2013-01-24 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4593409

User image

jobaxas - 2013-01-24 4:12 PM

Standing joke between my husband and daughter is my inability to read/fold a map.  I get lost every time I go somewhere new - GPS is even worse.  Daughter just rolls her eyes and says - mummy you're so hopeless!

I swear it's true.  Women cannot fold a map.  They can fold 8 foot wide sheets, but give them a piece of paper with a map printed on it and they will tear it somewhere and it will be all jumbled when you get it...

I'm going to try an experiment at work tomorrow with all the ladies I work with.  I'll give them an 11x17 map and as they try to fold it and put it in their folders, I'll see how many tear them. Or just throw them away...

2013-01-24 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4593414

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
jobaxas - 2013-01-24 4:14 PM

As long as...

He/She who gets selected goes to "war", He/She who doesn't stays home with the kids.

2013-01-24 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4593465

User image

coyote39 - 2013-01-24 4:48 PM
Rogillio - 2013-01-24 4:11 PM

As long as...

You are able to "pick" your MOS before signing your contract for "active duty". I believe the USMC reserves is the only one that will choose your MOS based off of needs.

Enlisted can pre-qualify for some MOSs in the Marine Corps, you can also get a bonus for qualifying for some MOSs and sticking with them.  But for the most part, they issue MOS at Basic Training if you enter with an open contract.  Reservists actually usually get picked based on where they live so they can serve with that unit (i.e. South Carolina- Light Armored Infantry, Alaska- Force Recon).

Officers can pre-qualify for flight, legal (gotta go to law school and pass the bar), or finance (we need someone to count beans).  

All other officers get a class rank at TBS and based on the "Needs of the Corps" and the "Quality Spread" they assign MOSs starting at the top of each third (top, middle, bottom).  The bottom guys in each 1/3 usually get Supply or Admin because that's what's left.  Before the selection, you make a list 1-24 of the MOSs you want to do (Tanks, Tracks, Combat Engineer, Grunt, Air Traffic Control, etc).  The instructors do some horse-trading to see if they can get you something from your top 10.

There are of course restricted MOSs (I couldn't be a lawyer, if you have bad eyes no flying, if you don't get a certain score on a GCT test no intel).

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-01-24 4:57 PM
2013-01-24 4:56 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Yes, I read all 10 pages.

TexasMPGal....You're the best and thank you.

Others, some I agree with, others I do not.

Small back story:  I was on the first Aircraft Carrier to take Women into Combat (CVN-69).  I found that it was not the women that were the problem, but the brass.  I treated everyone the same, whether they were male or female.  And THEN (assuming things have changed) that was frowned upon.  I'm fairly certain that it's been fixed and now everyone should pull their weight as expected.  I'm fine with that.

I am truly for equal rights and it's always irked me that women were not forced to register for selective service.  I feel that before this ban is lifted that all women in the age range be forced to enter selective service. 

We also had women use the system to their advantage while on the ship.  The pregnancy rate was very low when we were in the yards but as soon as a deployment came up...it rose to >50%.  That was no coincidence.  (Don't get jumpy...go with me here).

So I would say that at a minimum for these forward deployed combat units that the women literally not be allowed to get pregnant.  By whatever means is deemed necessary.  If they can force us to be vaccinated with lord knows what, they can also prevent pregnancy using the same methods.  In the end, you are government property, so this should not be a problem.  I've seen people go to Captains Mast for a sunburn because it was destruction of government property.

So I am in FULL agreement that men and women equally can AND should be allowed to be in all roles of the military.  But the rules should be equal as well for unit cohesion.  Physical requirements and that includes staying with the unit throughout the full deployment.

How that would work in real life...not sure.

2013-01-24 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4593478

User image

Marvarnett - 2013-01-24 4:56 PM

So I would say that at a minimum for these forward deployed combat units that the women literally not be allowed to get pregnant.  By whatever means is deemed necessary.  If they can force us to be vaccinated with lord knows what, they can also prevent pregnancy using the same methods.  In the end, you are government property, so this should not be a problem.  I've seen people go to Captains Mast for a sunburn because it was destruction of government property.

So I am in FULL agreement that men and women equally can AND should be allowed to be in all roles of the military.  But the rules should be equal as well for unit cohesion.  Physical requirements and that includes staying with the unit throughout the full deployment.

I hear your points, but you can't make it mandatory for a woman to sterilize herself.  You can adsep her if she gets pregnant.  That's what happened in the Air Force recently.  A girl is suing because she was dishonorably discharged for being a single-mom, officer and having a baby, She may just get adsep, but she'll lose. 

As for the sunburn thing.  We had a kid in our battalion who challenged that, requested a General Court Martial, hired a lawyer, etc and the Judge said troops aren't government property.  They can be convicted of Article 134 (catch all in the Marine Corps) or failure to obey a direct and lawful order Art 80???.  But not destruction of Government Property...  Kid got reduction in rank, had to pay court costs (lawyer costs) and was sent back to his unit...

Maybe the guy who went to Captain's mast in your case didn't know he could refuse mast and force a court martial, or didn't want to push it, but it was shot down long ago apparently and we still use it for scare tactics ("Wear your sunblock or we'll send you up to NJP!!!"

2013-01-24 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4593466

User image

Elite
GomesBolt - 2013-01-25 9:49 AM
jobaxas - 2013-01-24 4:12 PM

I swear it's true.  Women cannot fold a map.  They can fold 8 foot wide sheets, but give them a piece of paper with a map printed on it and they will tear it somewhere and it will be all jumbled when you get it...

I'm going to try an experiment at work tomorrow with all the ladies I work with.  I'll give them an 11x17 map and as they try to fold it and put it in their folders, I'll see how many tear them. Or just throw them away...

Same goes for a newspaper if me or my mum used to get hold of it before my dad it was in pieces before he could read it!

2013-01-24 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4593496

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
GomesBolt - 2013-01-24 6:08 PM

I hear your points, but you can't make it mandatory for a woman to sterilize herself.  You can adsep her if she gets pregnant.  That's what happened in the Air Force recently.  A girl is suing because she was dishonorably discharged for being a single-mom, officer and having a baby, She may just get adsep, but she'll lose. 

As for the sunburn thing.  We had a kid in our battalion who challenged that, requested a General Court Martial, hired a lawyer, etc and the Judge said troops aren't government property.  They can be convicted of Article 134 (catch all in the Marine Corps) or failure to obey a direct and lawful order Art 80???.  But not destruction of Government Property...  Kid got reduction in rank, had to pay court costs (lawyer costs) and was sent back to his unit...

Maybe the guy who went to Captain's mast in your case didn't know he could refuse mast and force a court martial, or didn't want to push it, but it was shot down long ago apparently and we still use it for scare tactics ("Wear your sunblock or we'll send you up to NJP!!!"

Interesting about the destruction thing.  But then again, I also heard they have time out cards in Boot Camp now.  But I digress.

I think (right or wrong) that for certain roles (some non-combat*) that there should be additional requirements to equalize the playing field.  And having to be there for the entire deployment, barring injury, should be one of them.  Granted, I know it wont' fly, but I believe that should be one of the mandatory requirements since it's a VOLUNTARY position.

There is no adsep for the male equal counterpart.  But now I am just rambling.

*an example of a non-combat role would be deployment on a boomer

Edited by Marvarnett 2013-01-24 5:16 PM

2013-01-24 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4593506

User image

Marvarnett - 2013-01-24 5:15 PM

Interesting about the destruction thing.  But then again, I also heard they have time out cards in Boot Camp now.  But I digress.

I think (right or wrong) that for certain roles (some non-combat*) that there should be additional requirements to equalize the playing field.  And having to be there for the entire deployment, barring injury, should be one of them.  Granted, I know it wont' fly, but I believe that should be one of the mandatory requirements since it's a VOLUNTARY position.

We had a female troop get pregnant, find out in Iraq and she was at a Combat Outpost building stuff for some spec ops guys.  They drove her butt to our camp in a civilian souped-up car at midnight, put her on the first plane and sent her home... We can't have pregnant women in combat... They're too mean!

2013-01-24 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4592096

User image

Veteran

jobaxas - 2013-01-23 8:00 PMHow does it work in Israel - I know women are conscripted there but do they fight on the front line?

Don't know if this has been answered yet, but in any case, the answer is yes. Both Kfir Brigade and Magav (Border Patrol) at least, have women on the front lines, as far as I know.

2013-01-24 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4592131

User image

Veteran
Left Brain - 2013-01-23 8:28 PM
mr2tony - 2013-01-23 10:23 PM
Left Brain - 2013-01-23 10:15 PM

mr2tony - 2013-01-23 10:08 PM Oh and with regard to the article to which you've linked, are you implying that if a woman is in a combat zone then she's going to get raped? In other words, you're saying anytime there's a pumped up group of men, that those men aren't going to be expected to control themselves if a woman is present? So, basically, you're saying that if a woman goes in with that group or is put in with that group, then she's going to be raped? Explain that because it makes no sense to me. Dude. I don't know where you're from (or when, I should say) but where I'm from that's NOT OK.

Tony......I wish the world was like you think it is. Laughing  Where do you think the numbers in that article come from, Mars??

OK so ... how about instead of keeping women from combat we, oh I don't know, expect men to control themselves around women? I'm glad I don't live in your world where women who are around a group of pumped up men should expect to be sexually assaulted.

Dude, I don't live in that world either.....but I'd be glad to take you to it and show it to you.  You act like it doesn't exist.  Incredible. Truly.

And you seem to be acting as if the situation is set in concrete, cannot be changed, so we must lock away the womenfolk to keep the li'l dears safe.

You like dares? Here is one for you. Tell this to my wife. Write your will first. She will be happy to demonstrate why this is not an accurate way of thinking.

2013-01-24 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4592137

User image

Veteran
jobaxas - 2013-01-23 8:31 PM

Clempson - 2013-01-24 3:27 PM stupid.  should have happened long ago.  either men/women get equal treatment or we can just admit they aren't equal at all, which just opens up more doorways into medieval oppression.

men/women don't get equal treatment.  They just don't. Physically we are different - we are wired differently.  In the workplace it can be equal - it rarely is.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's a fact.

And in some physical jobs I cannot compete in the workplace.  I cannot be equal.

Sorry, but this is rather irrelevant. In the ,military if they can pass the same tests, do the same work, make the same effort, then they should be allowed to do the same job.

2013-01-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4592141

User image

Veteran
Left Brain - 2013-01-23 8:33 PM

Clempson - 2013-01-23 10:27 PM stupid.  should have happened long ago.  either men/women get equal treatment or we can just admit they aren't equal at all, which just opens up more doorways into medieval oppression.

Equal in what?  Get 100 women and line them up against 100 men.....let them fight.  

Sure....equal.

My wife and daughters are BETTER than me at so many things.....but fighting?  Again, this is the dumbest crap ever.

Hey....WAIT.....I get it, we're the same physically, you know, equal....what was I thinking?

But we aren't talking about 100 women of the street. We are talking about 100 women who joined the military, want to serve in combat, did the training, have the strength and skills.

So yes, I realize that you are a MAN, and therefore cannot be beat by any woman in your imaginary world, but a fair percentage of the ones in my scenario would probably have no problem  breaking you into small pieces.

In a gentle, ladylike manner, of course.

2013-01-24 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4592155

User image

Veteran

Left Brain - 2013-01-23 8:40 PMHere's the fact.  Put more women on the front lines and you will have more women sexually assaulted.  You can cry foul all you want......and I'll stand next to you and proclaim how wrong it is right with you....and then I'll tell you how stupid you were for allowing it.

Here is another fact. If that happens, you take these rapists, put them in a military prison for a nice long time, and see the number of rapes decline. It's a new concept called "holding the criminal responsible for his/her actions"

2013-01-24 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4593511

User image

Elite
GomesBolt - 2013-01-24 4:18 PM
Marvarnett - 2013-01-24 5:15 PM

We had a female troop get pregnant, find out in Iraq and she was at a Combat Outpost building stuff for some spec ops guys.  They drove her butt to our camp in a civilian souped-up car at midnight, put her on the first plane and sent her home... We can't have pregnant women in combat... They're too mean!

When I was in, the military was being integrated for non combat. Women were in the air wing and would go out on the carrier for training, but not combat. As an engineer, my job was the hardest to fill and retain. Everyone had shore duty rotations, and my job always had the longest wait and shortest term. Shore duty 6-8 years, for only 1-2 years. When the women in my job got pregnant, they took those positions automatically... so now I virtually have no chance of ever getting off a boat. And what do you think happened to fill those jobs and retain that knowledge?

Now I do not know how that is handled today, and I would like to think it has been worked out... but is a factor, and just another problem that presents itself. Again, I have no problem with women in the military and most roles... but what do we gain in combat effectiveness and readiness?

2013-01-24 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Just heard Jessica Lynch was raped by her captors. Had she not been rescued shortly after capture no doubt she'd of been raped over and over. Do Americans have the stomach for US Servicewoman being raped by their captors?
2013-01-24 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4592380

User image

Veteran
Comet - 2013-01-24 5:19 AM

As someone who volunteered, and my parents did not really 'approve' (they accepted that it was MY choice and did not hide me so the Army couldn't find me, like you say you'd do with your daughters Left Brain...) I find this whole discussion disgusting and offensive. You say you have family experience with the military, but it's hard to believe when you make comments like you do. Maybe you make them because you had family serve, but what have YOU done and what constructive ideas do you have besides hiding your daughters? 

I'm not going to go into specifics about my service, but while I was active duty, I did try to find the most "special forces" route possible. There are positions out there that put women in more small-unit roles, either intelligence, civil affairs worldwide, etc. The hoops were great and women not allowed to do many things, even though there is a need. Yes, there is a need. 

No one is forced to join the military at this time. You get to choose your job or path (for the most part, unless you're doing something like OCS---which is a choice). 

As someone who performed physically well in the military, LOVE adventure and adrenaline, I would have jumped at any chance for some kind of special assignment/job that would put me behind some questionable lines. There are many opportunities out there that do not require you to be on a hilltop as a sniper.

I find the job Dumpsters SIL does fascinating and I respect her for it. I would LOVE to do that. It's hard. It's respected. Women are out there, doing jobs on the "front lines" and aren't represented as such. 

Oh yeah, women are raped during deployments, on the FOB. Women who aren't in 'combat' roles, but ones in support positions who never leave the base. IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE. To say thats going to be the side effect of 'combat' roles is ridiculous. I highly doubt a woman is going to be attacked by her platoon or unit while rucking through the mountains. Sure, it *could* happen, but it's happening everywhere else too. Like the AF Academy. Or the recruiters office. Or small towns with people that have nothing to do with the military. 

Yep, a "like" button is definitely needed.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Women to be cleared for combat roles Rss Feed  

of 11