General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apparently Size does matter.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-01 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Subject: Apparently Size does matter....

I started my tri journey some years ago....

I started with riding a old 1980's Gardin. (56cm frame with 700cc wheels) In the first two years my average speed was approximately 30kph. I notice my steed didn't look as good as other guys bikes. So naturally I did something about it.

I bought my 2003 Fuji Aloha. (52cm frame with 650cc wheels) from my LBS.  My LBS told me the fit was perfect even though I found it a little uncomfortable. My theory being that if I spent more money on my equipment I would go faster and look better! A perfectly logical conclusion.

I then moved over my odometer to my new Fuji and didn't realize I had to change the wheel size setting. So off I went thinking I was way faster as my speed was telling me I was averaging 30kph. The bike was a little uncomfortable but hey, that's the price you pay. My theory about more money = faster time was validated and I continued to buy every gadget I could get my hands on.

After a few years of doing longer distance rides and races I noticed that my average speed in a race was about 27kph. Not the 30kph my odometer was telling me.  I didn't think much of it,I just thought that since I was going longer in races I would naturally be a little slower in a race.

So today I went out on the old Gardin and did my 42k time trial course and low and behold not only was it an easier ride and alot more comfortable but my average speed was back to 30kph. I felt I could ride the old Gardin 100K and feel great.

Moral of the story....

1. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed  :-)

2. Yes, apparently size does matter. Bike fit is in fact important. Go figure

3. My 2003 Fuji Aloha is now available for immediate sale.

4. My wife can't know anyting about this!

5. I need to buy a new properly fitted bike next year!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apparently Size does matter.... Rss Feed