General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rental home recommendations for Steelhead Anybody? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-18 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Rental home recommendations for Steelhead Anybody?

Hey MI Rawk Squad...looking for a little feedback.

I have a group going to race Steelhead this summer and I'd love to rent a home, preferably on the water.  Any one have a place to recommend (or avoid for that matter!)  I've been told there aren't many really close hotels...I'd prefer to stay close to the race venue, but would consider a 30 minute or so drive.   

Thanks for any info you can share!  Laughing

2013-02-18 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4627035

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Rental home recommendations for Steelhead Anybody?
TrishM - 2013-02-18 2:18 PM

I have a group going to race Steelhead this summer and I'd love to rent a home, preferably on the water.  Any one have a place to recommend (or avoid for that matter!)  I've been told there aren't many really close hotels...I'd prefer to stay close to the race venue, but would consider a 30 minute or so drive.   

Trish, PM JorgeM, or maybe Robyn remembers.  Or coredump and whizzzz, they were there getting all smoochy. In 2007? there were about 15 of us that stayed at a beautiful home about 10 min north of town. 

A beautiful colonial with about 40 bedrooms, a great kitchen, perched on a bluff overlooking the lake with a 200-step stairway down to the gorgeous, flat, white-sand beach - Perfect for wearing out dogs, which were welcome. Sunsets galore. Fire pit, bbq, lots of lawn furniture and hammocks. It was a perfect race house, really.

And with that many people, it was sooper reasonable. Like less than $50/night pp.  

2013-02-19 8:01 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks Rick!  PM sent!  This sounds perfect.  My training partner is celebrating his birthday on race day and I'd love to party post race.  A house just makes so much more sense!  Fingers crossed it is still available!

2013-02-25 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4627948

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

Trish let me know if you find something - I would be in for Friday night - Sunday night but will pay whatever you need. 

I am hesitating on pulling the trigger on the hotel only because of not really knowing where to stay.  I guess that is the bonus of working volunteering the year prior to an event, you know the layout!  :-)

2013-02-25 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4636627

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Ummm, not to sound all hoity polloity, but there aren't too many hotels in St. Joes / Benton Harbor that are worth the reservation. The one exception is The Boulevard, situated downtown St. Joes and 3 min from the beach, gorgeous views, and walking distance to everything downtown. It's where Whirlpool puts up all their vendors, customers, and employees. It's a very nice place, with fantastic restaurants. 

After that, it gets thin. Quickly. Please don't stay at the Silver Beach Hotel...it's a huge hotel, right next to the Boulevard, but not well maintained and not sooper clean. I'd sooner stay at the Red Roof Inn where the highway meets the road to St. Joes. That's where I stayed year one I did steelhead. Those are your choices. 

2013-02-26 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
2 cents from a St. Joseph resident.  There are many seasonal rentals downtown and in the surrounding area, you just have to look.  As for hotels, there are several within a 20 minute drive of the race site.  There are 2 Holiday Inns, Baymont, 2 Comfort Suites, Merriott Courtyard, Hampton all fairly close.  There are also a few national chain and independant hotels that are rather run down and receive frequent visits from local law enforcement.  If you're thinking of a hotel, feel free to ask and I can give you some info.

2013-03-05 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4627366

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
rkreuser - 2013-02-18 5:44 PM
TrishM - 2013-02-18 2:18 PM

Trish, PM JorgeM, or maybe Robyn remembers.  Or coredump and whizzzz, they were there getting all smoochy. In 2007? there were about 15 of us that stayed at a beautiful home about 10 min north of town. 

A beautiful colonial with about 40 bedrooms, a great kitchen, perched on a bluff overlooking the lake with a 200-step stairway down to the gorgeous, flat, white-sand beach - Perfect for wearing out dogs, which were welcome. Sunsets galore. Fire pit, bbq, lots of lawn furniture and hammocks. It was a perfect race house, really.

And with that many people, it was sooper reasonable. Like less than $50/night pp.  

I think Alaina set it up.  Great house for the purpose....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rental home recommendations for Steelhead Anybody? Rss Feed