General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metrowest health clubs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-03-03 8:19 AM

Subject: Metrowest health clubs
Looking for some help with health clubs. Moved up to ma last year from new jersey. Belonged to a huge health club with beautiful aquatics center. Had almost complete access to the pool . Geared towards adults. It was pricey but worth every penny. Haven't found anything close to it around here. I'm a member now of metrowestbymca and completely hate it. Hard to get time in the pool, and 30 minute on cardio machines. Getting frustrated. Anyone have any other ideas, any experience with Longfellow sports club?

2013-03-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4644136

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Metrowest health clubs

Where are you located (town), if you don't mind sharing?  Would help direct responses, I think.

FWIW, we belong to the Thoreau Club in Concord.  Great access to the pool - almost never share a lane, and it's outside during the summer (2 pools in summer - one is under a bubble during the winter).  Good facilities (treadmills, bikes, etc.) and classes (spin, Centergy/yoga, power, etc.).  Not cheap, but not killer $$$.  Worth it for us (and the kids love the pool in summer).

Depends on where you are, though...

Good luck!

Matt

2013-03-06 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4649015

Wow, that Thoreau club looks amazing. Those pools look awesome. I live in Holliston. You're very lucky. I got a guest pass for Longfellow. Looks ok, plus they have masters swim at convenient times. We'll see how it goes. Wish I lived closer to Concord
2013-03-07 6:35 AM

The pool at thoreau looks nice but it makes some people sick. I can't swim there.

Not too close for holliston but there are master swimmers at atkinson (sudbury), Wayland community pool has coached workouts that are decent, longfellow clubs, bosse, etc.

I think a lot of people have a gym membership and a pool membership some place else.
2013-03-07 6:50 PM

User image

I swim at Atkinson and really enjoy it!! Probably can get the prices online. Me as a non Sudbury resident pays 39$ a month..worth it for me. I don't renew during the summer as I open water swim and Blue cross fitness benefit returns 150$ to me
2013-03-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4649368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Holly, Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices in your area (for health clubs) without having to drive a little ways. I live in Ashland and belonged to a gym and just did all my swimming near my business or in the reservoir.
Depending on where you live in Holliston you are close to:
YMCA - Franklin, Westborough, Framingham
Longfellow Club
BSC - Westborough and Franklin
As a few people mentioned, the Atkinson pool in Sudbury but that is a pool only
Milford, Dedham and Westwood high schools all have pools with limited access
Suburban Athletic Club has pool only memberships but it's pretty nasty facility, but you'll never have to fight for a lane. I don't think they have a gym anymore.
There's also a pool in Wayland but I think it's pretty pricey for a pool only membership

When the weather is nice I'm always doing open water swims at Ashland Res. or in Sherborn, feel free to join me.

2013-03-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4652146

Thanks for the info. Moved up here from new jersey last may. Since then, I belonged to suburban for a whole month before they closed up the fitness center. Place was nasty. I'm now at the Framingham YMCA, can't stand it. Horrible compared to the huge fancy gym I belonged to in nj. Been trying Longfellow on a one week trial. Seems ok plus they have a masters group. Can't wait for the snow to end. Looking forward to swimming outside. Bought a wetsuit last year. Planning on doing the season opener at hopkinton. Would love to have someone to swim with
2013-03-09 5:30 AM

User image

I too am doing the season opener in Hopkinton but May's too cold for me to swim, I'm doing the Duathlon. It's a nice course!
2013-03-09 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA

Holly,

I live in Medway. I used to go to the Franklin Y but couldn't stand it - the pool was nasty and crowded. The only place around here is the Boston Sports Club in Franklin. It has a good lap pool and there is Master's Swimming on Mondays and Thursday evenings. http://www.mysportsclubs.com/clubsched/_clubdetail.htm?rg=BSC&a=Greater+Boston&c=215

For running, there's the Tri Valley Front Runners (TVFRhttp://www.tri-valleyfrontrunners.com/, it's an active club.

Rori

2014-01-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: joyct32

I'm looking again for a pool and or gym. I'm at Longfellow now but it turns into a pool club in the summer and lap swim times are limited. How is Atkinson? Does it get real crowded? Locker rooms decent?
2014-02-14 2:46 PM
in reply to: Holly1215

User image

Originally posted by Holly1215

I'm looking again for a pool and or gym. I'm at Longfellow now but it turns into a pool club in the summer and lap swim times are limited. How is Atkinson? Does it get real crowded? Locker rooms decent?

Hi Holly, I dunno' about the Women's locker rooms, but the Men's are fine at Atkinson. It opens at 5:30am during the week with all lanes dedicated to laps only year 'round and it gets a crowd, but not too crowded at that time and at worst, you'd have to share a lane. In Winter, the high school swim teams use the pool in the afternoon/early evening, but the rest of they year, it works out fine for after work swimming.

The problem with gyms that have pools is that the pool tends to become a social gathering spot. At least that's what I have found.

2014-02-15 11:38 AM

I drive past Atkinson to swim in Wayland. Atkinson is fine, but I like the group at Wayland and the coach there writes good workouts. The time flies while swimming there.

How is Longfellow in the summer, for a family pool? I was thinking of joining there for my kids to have a pool. We usually swim/hang out a lake (Boon in Stow) but thought the social stuff might be better at longfellow for my older kids.
2014-02-18 5:30 PM
in reply to: Quigley

User image

I picked up a 30 day pass at BSC - The pool and facilities in Westborough are small (3 lanes).
It gets very crowded at peak time and they take a lane or two for lessons.
The lanes seem narrower than standard.

Im interested in the wayland facilities - how are they?
Typical HS?
Keefe HS pool facilities are awful.

Also - what is the rate at Longfellow, that location is fairly convenient -
2014-02-18 7:04 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

Hi, I paid about $1200 for a year at longfellow. It's probably ok if you have kids, plus it turns into a pool club in the summer. For me, it's not worth it. I'm going to end up splitting membership, join a gym close to work and either wayland or atkinson pool. Looks like you can pay daily fees at both to check them out. I also looked at BSC in Franklin but it just isn't convenient. Been up here less than 2 years, and I'm on my 4th gym. Nothing comes close to the beautiful gym I belonged to back in nj
2014-03-14 11:14 PM

New user
, Massachusetts
I'm sure you've found a place by now but if not, I did a season here: http://www.thewestboroclub.com

The pool was nice in my opinion. The have a master team etc. Rest of the club is so-so.
2014-03-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: guy2600

Their pool schedule looks like long fellows. Limited hours unless you can swim in the middle of the day. For now, I joined evolve fitness, not thrilled with it, but it's convenient to work. and I still need to join a pool

2014-03-15 8:40 PM

Anyway, just saw on metrowest daily news that Lifetime fitness is planning on opening a fitness center in Framingham complete with indoor aquatics center and outdoor pool.
2014-03-15 10:07 PM

User image

Nice - did they put a date on the opening of lifetime?

I belonged to Evolve for a couple years.
They have decent facilities, never too crowded that you cannot get a machine you need.
Decent selection of classes.
Nothing spectacular, but nothing to really complain about.

my trial at BSC expired.
Really the only value there is the pool.
I really like the locker rooms and towel service.
The pool is quite nice, but:
-it only has three lanes
-most times 1 lane is taken for lessons sometimes two lanes
-gets crowded often
-the pool was closed twice in thirty days for cleaning (biohazard) from having so many kids classes (poop in the pool).

But the other amenities are great.
never out of equipment.
if your into free weights, this maynot be the best choice.
but plenty of machines and creative excercises XTC....

Now onto the value = its $60 a month plus an $80 signup fee. (I get a corp discount bringing it down to $50 a month)
Evolve is $20 plus $50

So that's $40 or $30 a month more for a limited small pool w\ towel service and a small step up in amenities.

I am on the fence about joining. I am going to sit on it until at least after my race in April and go from there.
I have a gym attached to my place that will serve my purposes and piece together my swim at local pools.
2014-03-16 6:40 AM

No date on lifetime. I figure it will be awhile. They have to knock down some buildings first and then build their center. Evolve is convenient but I find it's full of muscle heads. Even the trainers. They seem to be very condescending towards what they consider to be just cardio, what is consider to be training. Probably ok if you want to bodybuild. What local pools do you use? I'm going to check out atkinson and wayland. Can't get anyone on the phone to talk to at wayland. Can't wait for lifetime to open
2014-03-16 7:49 AM

I just saw a new BSC is opening is Wayland, in the new plaza with stop and shop. I doubt it will have a pool.

Did you check out Atkinson and Wayland? Wayland website is terrible, but the pool is decent and the Master's coach is quite good.
2014-03-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: Quigley

Any idea how much wayland costs? It sounds good

2014-03-16 5:31 PM

Uxbridge
I have belonged to both the BSC in Franklin and in westboro. I pay $38/mo which I believe is cheaper than the Y. You can barter the price of membership at BSC. Most health insurances will now cover some of the cost of gym membership
2014-03-17 9:48 PM

User image

No date on lifetime. I figure it will be awhile. They have to knock down some buildings first and then build their center. Evolve is convenient but I find it's full of muscle heads. Even the trainers. They seem to be very condescending towards what they consider to be just cardio, what is consider to be training. Probably ok if you want to bodybuild. What local pools do you use? I'm going to check out atkinson and wayland. Can't get anyone on the phone to talk to at wayland. Can't wait for lifetime to open

Holly,

I have only been to
BSC in Westboro and Watertown during my month trial

Keefe Technical Pool - $4 a visit, but the times change monthly/weekly and its really not that nice at all.

I also swim frequently in the Brookline HS pool (I used to live in Brookline so it is semi convenient)...
And evertime I head into Boston, I try to squeeze in a swim here.

I plan on checking out Wayland soon.
2014-03-17 9:48 PM

User image

Holly,

I have only been to
BSC in Westboro and Watertown during my month trial

Keefe Technical Pool - $4 a visit, but the times change monthly/weekly and its really not that nice at all.

I also swim frequently in the Brookline HS pool (I used to live in Brookline so it is semi convenient)...
And evertime I head into Boston, I try to squeeze in a swim here.

I plan on checking out Wayland soon.
2014-03-25 4:36 PM

New user
, Massachusetts
I just checked out the Atkinson pool today in Sudbury and it was a really nice pool. People at the desk were friendly and I had no problem finsing a lane during lunch. They have a triathlon group than swims there a few weekday evenings that seems to be active (was told they have 15-20 triathletes attend). All in all it was a great place and will use it for a few months until open water temps come up. Bring a towel and shower stuff with you though as they don't provide that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metrowest health clubs Rss Feed  

of 1