General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Triathlon newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-07 11:51 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Triathlon newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the triathlon world, and am working toward a sprint tri this coming July. I'm a 32-year old Athena. Completely new to biking (haven't owned one since I was 12), and haven't been a swimmer in over a decade.  Over the past 2 years, I had gradually been building up my running base til I hit 5 miles.. then I suffered a hip injury that I'm finally just now getting over.. 6 months later. I have a bit of endurance remaining, but I have a long way to go.

I started my training plan last Monday, so I've had a week or so to get used to it.  So far so good.. running feels good, spinning is harder than it looks (lol) and swimming is more tiring than I remember, but I made it through my first week of workouts with enough energy and excitement to be ready for more.  Hoorray!!

Wish me luck Cool

2013-03-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4650293

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Triathlon newbie

GREAT JOB on the progress!

Keep going one day at a time! 

2013-03-07 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4650662

User image

New user
Thanks! It definitely helps to have something to work towards Smile
2013-03-11 11:02 AM

User image

New user

Got my first real adult bike over the weekend (its a Schwinn hybrid, nothing special for my first tri .. but it fits!) so I'm looking forward to getting out in the open air and off the spinning bike. I'm kind of nervous to get out there without knowing how to fix a flat though... not to mention the fear of falling... and cars...

I've heard the swim is the most intimidating part of a tri for newbs, but for me it's definitely the bike. The bike is gonna take some getting used to...

2013-03-12 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Central MN
Fixing a flat is actually pretty easy. Just make sure you have the right size tube and tire irons. Your friendly local bike shop can make sure you have the right stuff and will likely show you how to do it. And there's lots of online resources. Performancebike.com, for instance, has a "Learn" tab at the top of the homepage that will direct you many how-to videos.

Welcome to the madness of triathlon! I started out just like you - a few short sprint triathlons and 5ks. Couldn't get enough of it and now I'm up to IMs and marathons. One of the best things I've ever done for myself (besides getting a divorce Best wishes...
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Triathlon newbie Rss Feed