Rock/Creek Trail Series
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 36s
Overall Rank = 121/157
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I drove up to Chattanooga on Friday Afternoon and went straight to the Rock Creek outfitter because I had a few minutes to kill before packet pickup. I purchased some diffrent nutrition items to try over the next few months and the. headed to their outlet store and water sports store for the packet pickup. I noticed there was already a line but looked and that was for the 10 miler so I went and got mine at the 6.5 miler. Then I headed over to the Crash Pad where I was staying in Chattanooga. This place boasts itself for being a upscale hostel and they did not dissapoint. I highly recommend if you are in town and needing somewhere to stay check them out. They recommended a nice brew house just down the street so I walked over had a early dinner and back to the hostel where there were about 7 others doing the race so we chatted all night about the different races we have done so it was neat to be around like minded people. One of the girls finished 3rd overall and one of the guys finished 5th overall so tried to pick their brains this being my first race. Said my good nights and off to sleep on a very comfortable bunk. Got up showered had breakfast and headed up the mountain to the race site.
Event warmup:

I am not the best at warming up so I basically found Dale a fellow Bter and we chatted and caught up. He shared some information about the course which I was greatful. He headed off for the 10 mile which started 30 minutes earlier and I got in the poro john line took care of business and waited for the start.
Run
  • 1h 44m 36s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 15m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The race started with the Rock creek vehicle leading up a long hill. I had seated myself towards the mid back because I did not want to get in anyones way but since we ran up a road for the first good bit people were running several wide so it was not worries. We crested the hill and then began a long downhill stretch on a jeep road. After being on the road for .5 a mile or so we turned off on the single track and let the congo line begin. The trail was very wet and muddy from the past few days rain so I really wanted to pay close attention. As we continued down we came to the rock stairway which is a long set of stairs that goes betweek two huge rocks down about 20 steps. This was a neat place going down but I remembered we had to come back up so not lookingofrward to that. Once out of the stairway I found a great pace with about 15 people and we continued on. We had crossed several creeks and then began a sawtooth section of ups and downs. I walked most of the ups and ran all the downs and flats which were few. I hated that it was very misty because you could not see all of how beautiful this place truly was. About a mile before the aid station I took my eyes off for a minute and wham I came crashing down. Luckily nothing hurt so I continued on. Got to the aid station and had a cup of water another of heed and grabbed a handful of mike and ikes and then began the worst part of the course. This was nothing but a muddy reep road that was up and down. My shoes weighed so much through this is was sucking. Finally we hit the singal track again and it wa much better but since we had such a long down hill at the start the uphill was no bueno!!! Chatted with several nice people thhroughout the race so this helped going up up and away. Hit the rock steps again on the way up and you could start hearing the finish line which is tricky because it was still .75 miles away. Anyhow crossed the finish line and popped my trail running cherry!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I have lost 43 pounds this year so far and have been sticking to some good training so I am proud. If anything I plan on doing more hill repeat work .
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was pretty much watter a half a bagel and a bannana. Stretched out a little and began the drive back to the hostel so I could shower and drive back home.

Event comments:

This was my first of the Rock Creek trail series and they put on a fabulous race!! I highly recemmond them to anyone. I have two more I am doing over the next several months so I cant wait!!!

Last updated: 2013-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:36 | 06.55 miles | 15m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/157
Performance: Good
Course: This was a very hilly/mountainous course. I think my garmin said I gained 1500 ft of elevation so def need to do more hill work to help better prepare for future races.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes