World Triathlon Corporation
~85F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 08m
Overall Rank = 733/891
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a bit early because I was worried I'd be late.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 52s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The initial start was funny because some big rollers came in. It actually looked worse on video then in person (youtube IM Los Cabos swim start). After that, I had some initial issues with water in my goggles, but I resolved that. Once I was fully underway, I got into a groove, but that took a long time. I was hoping to have sighted better, and to have had more room around me. I didn't really care, I just would have like to hit a nice rhythm sooner and for longer, other that that it was fine.
What would you do differently?:

I would have sighted better, although, I thought I was sighting good, so not sure.
My goal was to not freak out during the swim, and I didn't. Also to swim my own race, and I did that too.
Transition 1
  • 10m 11s
Comments:

There was a long ways up a hill to actual T-1 bags, so that accounted for a decent amount of the time. The wetsuit strippers weren't like you see in other IM race videos, because the floor was sand and I didn't want sand all over my back before my bike ride. So, I stripped my own wetsuit. Changed into bibs, and my new IM Los Cabos (super comfy) jersey!
Got my bike and headed out of T-1. I now realizing that I was as far from the exit as possible. No big deal.

Nothing really. maybe keep a small towel in the bag to get sand off my feet.
Bike
  • 7h 30m 43s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Two loops. Out of T-1 towards Cabo, spectators were nice to see. It was warming up and that was nice. Got to first-part turnaround and headed back to Los Cabo, stating to warm up. Go to Los Cabos and things were great! lots of hill so far! Go to another turnaround and it was back up towards airport. I thought this was a small distance according to map, but I misread map (drawings). This is where things got tricky for me (and others). I kept going up hills and were hitting anaerobic levels pretty quickly, not good. Still, couldn't chizle the grin off my face "Ironman!!!" Ok, it's really hot and lonely up here by the airport, no spectators since the roads were closed. It just keeps getting hotter and hotter in the desert. Ok, finally!!!!!!! I get to the turnaround up here by the airport, but I can't believe how off I was on this course. Can't believe I have to come back up to this place again (lap 2). I called it my "dark place!" This is where I think a lot of people just couldn't do it again. This was hot and hilly (to me). That said, I went back into lap 2 thinking that I could do it again since I at least knew where the turnaround was and what to expect. Back to Cabo, back to Los Cabos, back to airport, back to town.

Not much. On the bike an old timer to the sport told me it was "all about the run," and since my goal was to finish, I kept telling myself that it was "all about the run." So, when I would get excited about something, I'd just dial it back. knowing, the main goal was to come home an Ironman. That said, there isn't much I could do differently.
Transition 2
  • 06m 57s
Comments:

T-2 was different than expected. First off my first time with a split transition, and first time i'd ever just handed my bike off to someone. So, no biggy, I just handed my bike off and went to the blue bag with my run gear in it. I got out of my cycling bibs (that's ride, I rode in comfort!), then slipped my shoes on (i'm a no sock runner), then race belt. Off with the jersey, and on with running shirt, and I'm off!

Nothing really.
Run
  • 5h 55m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started to run, my legs just didn't have the strength, so I had to walk a little. Eventually they adjusted to being off the bike and my run legs came back. I went out along a road for a ways, then went down by the hotel zone, then by the grocery store, then out a ways. We came back in towards T-2 and then took a right hand turn (which confused me a bit), and we ran out (towards some private clubs) a ways. The first lap seemed to take forever, then I got a lay of the land and it felt shorter each time. My main concern was for my wife and daughter who at this point my be just bored out of their minds! I lost track of them and didn't know how things were going so I just wanted to finish and check in with them.
Eventually my legs came back and I picked up the pace, but then after lap two, my legs started to slow down again. I have never ran this far, so I expected there to be a little retaliation. Overall, I was pleased because I was going to finish. I knew it, and I could hear the finish line, I was going to be an ironman! I left enough in the tank, and I saved enough of my legs to finish. YES.

There ins't much I could have done differently except maybe get more sunscreen on myself. The sun was brutal coming off the bike and doing the first half of the run. That hot Mexican sun was a lot to take for the whole day. Sunscreen in T-2 bag for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. My wife and daughter were exhausted. I should have went to the medical tent and checked in. I wanted to see what they could have offered. Maybe an IV for hydration? Not sure. I guess other were doing it. Plus, I think I had sun-stoke and after it was all said and done, it took it's toll. So, next time I'll peek my head in and see what they have to offer. Why not, it's free!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing other than I had no legs. I mean I do have them, they just didn't want to cooperate.

Event comments:

I think it being the inaugural race, it didn't have the following that other, more established races have. It was fun though. I like warm, and it was all of that. The water temp was good, the outside temp was good, and there were lots of spectators cheering people on (which is good). I don't think I'd do this one again, but for my first one, it was great. I heard there were a lot of people that dropped out, that's what I heard. I think they might have dropped out during the bike, that was kind of hard. Everything else ...is what it is.

Last updated: 2013-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:52 | 4224 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/891
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue-seventy reaction
Course: It was a run from the beach start. The course came out from the shore straight, not sure how far. Next was a left hand turn, this was the majority of the swim. Then, another left towards shore again, then another left leading us semi-parallel with shore to the finish.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 10:11
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:30:43 | 112 miles | 14.91 mile/hr
Overall: 741/891
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps. to Cabo, back to Los Cabos, out to airport (X2).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:55:37 | 26.2 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 733/891
Course: This was a weird course, but it was good for athletes and spectators alike. It kept everyone pretty close together. The course laid out would be like two hands drawn out. It had numerous fingers to it so it was kind of weird. 3 laps.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-03-26 6:41 PM

Subject: Ironman Los Cabos

2013-03-27 5:50 AM
in reply to: #4675786

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman Los Cabos
Awesome job! Enjoy your IronMan post race bliss :-)
2013-03-27 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Well done!!  Curious as to why you would not do this one again?  Was it the bike?
2013-04-04 2:40 AM

Probably the Bike. But, I just don't see the need either. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Los Cabos Rss Feed