General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Short strides or long strides when running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-17 8:02 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: Short strides or long strides when running

Ok, I am about 12 days away from my first Tri.  I have now completed 3 bricks when coming off the bike and then running.  I have seen CRAZY results so far.  I have been running for a few years now and I always seem to fall into a comfortable pace of about 9:15 to 9:30 per mile.  My first brick I did a 10+ mile bike and then a 5k run and pace was 8:16 per mile and I felt like I was barely trying.  Next brick was a 14 mile bike and a 1 mile run and again I had exactly an 8:16 per mile pace.  Today was my 3rd brick and I had a 10 mile bike and a 2 mile run with a 7:48 per mile pace.  

The crazy thing about all 3 of these runs.  I felt like I was holding back and still had a ton of energy left in the tank but yet my times were much faster than normal.  I felt like I could have kept that pace up for many more miles too. 

My one question about my times............... I noticed that even though I am running way faster than normal, I am actually trying to hold back and go a bit slower, although my body just doesn't want to slow down.  But I have noticed that I am taking baby strides when doing these runs after the brick.  Like insanely small steps.  I look down and I am almost going "heel to toe" on my strides instead of taking larger strides like I normally do.  I would say that my cadence is probably about 50% increased in the amount of steps I take per mile when doing these bricks.   Did I figure something out here?  I never really thought about different ways to run, I always just ran and ran exactly the same all the time.  Does taking shorter strides actually increase your speed?   I am not arguing with my results.  I am super happy but just wondering if anybody else has noticed anything related to stride length and lowering their pace per mile.  

2013-04-17 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4703654

User image

Regular
The Sipp
Subject: RE: Short strides or long strides when running

That is normal. You changing the muscles used and your legs are 'numb' from the bike. On shorter Tris, it is fine and you can go with it. On longer Tris with longer runs, you really have to hold back because you will run the first few miles fast, and then your legs will wake up and you get in trouble.

This is what has happened to me anyway...Unless your above average

2013-04-17 8:26 AM

Tampa
You are now running more in a correct way. You foot should be landing under your body. When you over stride its like your putting on the brakes when your foot lands. There are a couple of videos you can look up on YouTube that explains this better then I can in text.
2013-04-17 8:27 AM

User image

Expert

Your results aren't that unusual for a run coming off the bike.  As I'm sure you have read, your mind plays tricks on you based on what it has seen on the bike, it relays that you are moving slowly and you need to pick up the pace and your body responds in kind.

With regards to your strides I can't help you much.  I've always been a glider (short steps) instead of a gazelle (long strides) as I find the impact on my joints is greatly reduced at a smaller step higher cadence running style.

One word of caution.  I don't know how long your first triathlon is but just be careful no to empty your tank on the front half of your run.  It's easy to do which is why you need to make the conscious effort to slow your body down.  It may be a pace you can maintain for 2 or 3 miles but if you are running a minute or two faster per mile than you normally train I would say eventually it is going to catch up with you on the course.  Perhaps not, but I speak from experience on this one.

Either way good luck to you in your race, and welcome to the addiction.

Edited by dsand97 2013-04-17 8:28 AM
2013-04-17 9:06 AM

I've seen coaches advocate a target of 3 strides per second and shorten your stride length.

2013-04-17 9:17 AM

New user
As the others have stated, it really depends upon which tri distance you are competing in.  If it's a sprint, then I would just go as fast as you can, and enjoy the fact that you feel great.  If it's an oly length or longer, I'd hold back a bit as you might bonk on the run.  That's exactly what happened to me in my first oly tri last month.  The swim and bike felt awesome, and the last half of the run was terrible just because I'd run out of fuel.  Good luck on the race!

2013-04-17 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4703682

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
dsand97 - 2013-04-17 9:27 AM

One word of caution.  I don't know how long your first triathlon is but just be careful no to empty your tank on the front half of your run.  It's easy to do which is why you need to make the conscious effort to slow your body down.  It may be a pace you can maintain for 2 or 3 miles but if you are running a minute or two faster per mile than you normally train I would say eventually it is going to catch up with you on the course.  Perhaps not, but I speak from experience on this one.

Either way good luck to you in your race, and welcome to the addiction.

Thanks for the info.  I am doing a sprint so it is only a 5k run.  I will have to wait until race day to see how I feel and then push it based on how fresh I feel coming off the bike.  I was originally hoping to just be able to hold a 9:00/mile pace, but all my training has shown me that I can go much faster than that.  Just hope that I am in one of those "feel good" modes on race day. 

2013-04-17 10:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by jdl2012 2013-04-17 10:54 PM
2013-04-18 1:48 PM

Expert
Floriduh
My PB for a 5K was at a Sprint last year.  Of course, I don't run that many stand alone 5Ks.
2013-04-18 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4703783

New user

I follow the Good Form Running technique

3 steps a second with shorter steps to land on the midfoot to utilize the arch.  Even if you have flat or larger arches it is ideal.

http://www.goodformrunning.com/

2013-04-18 2:36 PM

Pro

the question isn't about stride length, but rather cadence.  how many steps per minute (or second).  The target for most people is right about 180 steps/min (3/second).  It may feel weird at first, and won't make you instantly faster, but it will help you get your feet under you, be more efficient (eventually) and less pounding on your body.

It's not that important whether your foot hits heel first, or not, but where it hits relative to your center of motion.  If your feet are hitting out in front of you- every step is 'stopping' you a little bit.  It's also shocking your body more than necessary.

But I believe what you are experiencing is common.  you're all charged up coming off the bike and you hit the ground running at above your normal pace.  This is where a garmin watch and HR monitor come in handy.  I too have been surprised at my pace for the 1st quarter mile off the bike, until I settle in.  it's usually 'too fast'.

then again- you may not know how fast you really are!  that's what race day is all about.

2013-04-18 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4706042

Regular
Levittown, PA
morey000 - 2013-04-18 3:36 PM

then again- you may not know how fast you really are!  that's what race day is all about.

I love that quote right there.  Thanks for all the replies everybody. 

I went out this morning and decided to try the shortened stride / higher cadence running without adding a bike ride before it.  it is definitely working for me.  My avg pace is normally 9:15 to 9:30ish and that is usually on a 3 to 4 mile run.  I went for a 5 mile run today and my pace over 5 miles averaged out to be 8:48/mile.   Definitely much faster than normal and I seemed to have a ton of energy left when I was finished.  Maybe I'm using less energy to run, as I seem to be much smoother when taking smaller strides and not bouncing as much.  Couldn't have happened at a better time.  My swim and bike have both been seeing gains recently and with my race coming up soon, seeing improvements in my run is just another thing to boost my confidence. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Short strides or long strides when running Rss Feed