General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Difference between elite and select Pearl Izumi gear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-17 4:33 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Difference between elite and select Pearl Izumi gear
I am looking at getting a tri shirt and tri shorts for an upcoming triathlon. My local store carried only Pearl Izumi tri gear and had a pair of select Pearl Izumi tri shorts and a pair of elite Pearl Izumi tri shorts. I couldn't notice a huge difference between the two other than the price. Has anyone had any experience with this brand and can explain if there is a huge difference between the two. The tri shirt they had was only the select model, but I found the elite model online. I could understand the tri shorts might have a little more padding, fit better here and there, ect, but what kind of huge difference could there be on a tri shirt? Thanks for the help in advance.

2013-04-18 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4704620

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Difference between elite and select Pearl Izumi gear
I have several pairs of PI cycling shorts and there is a huge difference between the Pro and Select models in my opinion.  The material is so much better and the chamois is no question better.  I won't even look at the Select level product any more.  After a few hours of the road you will notice the difference as well.  Saying that I have a Pro level tri top and short set and I'm happy with it.  Do your self a favor and spend a few more dollars to get a product that you will be much happier with in the long run.
2013-04-18 7:26 AM

User image

Perimeter Trash Dallas, TX
Huge difference, pro/elite are much better.  The select is fine until you go onto elite, then they seem to suck.  
2013-04-18 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
It has to do with the amount of marbleing.   Oh, wait.  Thats the diff between Prime and Select.  My bad...
2013-04-18 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I have Elite and Select tri and cycling shorts and tops. I will wear the Select shorts for rides less than an hour. There is a quality difference which makes for a comfort difference. If the cost difference isn't out of your budget and you are above "sprint only" level then get the Elite. I love the PI products. They fit me better than other brands, but of course that varies between individuals. My Elite tri shorts are the only ones I will wear on race day. My next pair will be PRO just for checking out the difference. A friend says they are awesome-er.
2013-04-18 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa

Within most brands of tri clothing they have a few "lines." Each line has more features for fit and performance.

The seams might be constructed better for less chafing. The fabric might offer compression. The garment might be treated with something to promote cooling.

Like Runs with Dog implied, you are more likely to appreciate these features the longer the ride/race/workout.

2013-04-18 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Huge difference in quality and comfort. Embarrassed to say I bought a very very expensive pro jersey....it is the only jersey I will wear and probably the most comfortable piece of exercise clothing I own. If you want to do very very long rides you want to be comfortable. IMO spend the extra dollars and go elite or pro.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Difference between elite and select Pearl Izumi gear Rss Feed