General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Silicon Valley Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morgan Hill, California
United States
USA Productions LLC.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m 47s
Overall Rank = 39/94
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/18
Pre-race routine:

First triathlon of the season and in my hometown, so was very excited for this race. Also made prep relatively easy and getting to the site easy, as I knew where to park, how long it would take to get there, etc. Up early, ate my normal pre-race meal, and off to the race!
Event warmup:

Not much to speak of. Got into my wetsuit, swam a little to make sure that goggles were on right.
Swim
  • 37m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me. Navigated well and was able to focus on trying to maintain form. Not really any drafting to speak of since not many racing. It was fairly spread out. Did get dizzy when I tried to switch the side I was breathing on, so had to keep looking into the sun on the inbound stretch. But, overall, very pleased with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Fairly dizzy for a stretch in T1. Couldn't get suit off very well, or into shoes. But, the 70.3 is a long day, so was just trying to get ready for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Remember to put on the butt butter. I was feeling the absence of lube later in the ride.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a slight mechanical right from start. Front derailleur dropped chain into the little ring and couldn't get it onto the big ring. Amazing what you can do in the 39 with an 11-25. Don't think it hurt me too much, in fact, was thinking it would force me to ride smart. Also, couldn't get my Garmin to give me the screen I wanted, so didn't have data. I think that might have been an issue, as couldn't see HR to see how much I was working. This ended up being my slowest bike split in a HIM. I thought that knowing the route would help and that it would be a pretty fast course. With the headwind for a pretty long stretch, and probably more up and down than I had been thinking, turned out not to be as fast a course as I had hoped. From eyeballing the other times, looks like it was perhaps not a super fast day. Heat might have been another factor.

Make sure bike is working, and set up Garmin to display my preferred metrics in Multisport mode.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Ok transition. This wasn't an issue that day.
Run
  • 2h 12m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough run. Started getting hot on the run, and when the wind was at my back, that lessened the feeling of the breeze and made it hot. Tried to break run into four parts, defined by each out and back. Tried to settle on part 1, focus on 2 and 3, then bring it home on 4. Unfortunately, by part 2, I was starting to hurt and 3 really hurt. By 4, I was cramping all over and really done. Again, I ask the question, is this an average run for me, because this is about how I always do, or below because I've got to believe I can do better?

I thought I was in really good bike shape, which would set me up for a good run. Guess I need to pick up the training, both on the bike and the run.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, wind, mechanical, data issues. Perhaps pacing on bike. Overall, think I had a not great day.

Event comments:

Good local race. One hard part was that one of the turnarounds on the bike was on a downhill, and we had to do that twice. Would be nice to turn around at the top of that hill. It made for a difficult turn, and then right backup the hill. But, overall, it was a well run race.

Last updated: 2012-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/94
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Out around the headland, then a long stretch to the next turn buoy before the turn for home. Pretty easy course to navigate, with exception that you had to pay attention on the long out leg, or you could get way off course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:27 | 56 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Rolling hills, no big climbs to speak of, but fairly constant up and down. The one long stretch of flat was dead into a strong headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Two out and back sections. Towards the turn around you go up/down one hill, then up/down the next, turn around right away, and for more fun, up/down and up/down again. On loop two, that was really hard.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-22 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: Silicon Valley Long Course Triathlon

2013-04-24 1:23 AM
in reply to: #4709913

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: RE: Silicon Valley Long Course Triathlon

Very impressive race, especially with the mechanical on the bike and the tough conditions! I can't imagine doing that run loop twice in the heat.  I'm sure you'll kick some butt in the MH Sprint in May -- it'll seem like a breeze.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed