General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think I finally felt a good catch and pull Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-01 7:56 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: Think I finally felt a good catch and pull

I just started swimming a few months ago and I have seen huge improvements.  I have read a bunch of articles and watched a ton of videos and hear a lot about the catch and pull.  First off a comfortable pace for me for 200 yards is about 4:00.  (most of my training is doing 200 yard sets up to this point because my first race was a 200 yard pool swim).  I have pushed my pace in the past and got it as low as 3:35 for the 200 yards.  During those faster times I felt like I was getting a bit better of a catch and pull, but it wasn't until today that I really think I felt what a good catch and pull should feel like. 

At the end of my session today I did a 100 yard sprint as fast as I could, 100% effort from start to finish and I finished with a 1:35 time which is absolutely blazing fast for ME.   One thing I noticed though is that when I was swimming slower than that, my arm and hand would seem to slip thru the water from way out in front of me to right down to my hip.  When I did this 100 yard sprint it was really weird (i hope this makes sense and I don't sound insane), but it almost seemed like the water consistency changed, almost like it got thicker.  Best way for me to describe it is to picture laying 2 ladders in the pool laying flat down one on the left of you and one on the right a few inches below the water surface.  The water felt so thick that I felt like I was reaching up and grabbing a rung on the ladder in front of me and pulling my body up past where my hand was.  I didn't feel my hand slipping anymore, it almost seemed to stay locked in place out in front of me and I was pulling my body up and thru the location where my hand was. I've never felt that in any of my swim sessions before, but I think maybe its because I wasn't going fast enough to feel it.   Does any of that make sense?   Is that what an actual catch and pull should feel like?

Granted, it will take a ton of time and effort for me to keep up any type of pace like that, I was totally winded when I was done.  But should I be able to feel that same type of catch and pull when I am swimming slower?   Maybe my form is so bad that I just don't feel it until I speed up.

2013-05-01 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4722040

User image

Subject: RE: Think I finally felt a good catch and pull
I hear you.  When I swim slow for distance sets my form gets all screwy and I do some kind of weird figure 8 type motion with my left hand/arm.  When I do a "sprint" set or breathe bilateral my left arm behaves itself and I can feel the stroke the way it's meant to be. Unfortunately, I'm still new and slow even when trying to go fast and my form consistency is atrocious. Nonetheless, I have felt what it's supposed to feel like even if I can't always reproduce it.
2013-05-01 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Most definitely Makes sense, you were pulling much harder against the water doing the fast 100, most times now when I am doing fast 100 it feels like I am slinging a bucket load of water off my hand on exit. Nice Fast 100 BTW keep practicing a few of those every workout and some fast 50's as well and your speed will really start to pick up even once you slow your stroke back down as your pull muscle get stronger, and you will start to feel more resistance against your pull even at the slower stroke rate as your Pull efficiency get better.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-05-01 8:09 AM
2013-05-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4722061

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA

RRH_88 - 2013-05-01 9:07 AM Most definitely Makes sense, you were pulling much harder against the water doing the fast 100, most times now when I am doing fast 100 it feels like I am slinging a bucket load of water off my hand on exit. Nice Fast 100 BTW keep practicing a few of those every workout and some fast 50's as well and your speed will really start to pick up even once you slow your stroke back down as your pull muscle get stronger, and you will start to feel more resistance against your pull even at the slower stroke rate as your Pull efficiency get better.

Thanks for the reply.  I am definitely going to start adding in some shorter distance speed work now.

2013-05-01 10:32 AM

That feeling you describe - climbing a ladder - is a common way to describe a successful pull. Good for you!
2013-05-01 10:38 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Nice.  My coach describes a good catch and pull using that exact ladder analogy.  Cool that's what you chose to describe it.

One of the things that kinda messed me up at the beginning was thinking about pulling through the water, I was really thinking I should be pulling my hand through the water.  However, when I think about anchoring (grabbing a ladder rung) and sort of vaulting over that fixed arm, that's when I really move int the water.  It's just reframing the idea, but it made a big difference to me "getting it" and being able to make it happen when things started falling apart in the water.

2013-05-01 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Some good posts.  You should never think of getting your hands through the water as quickly as possible.  You want to create a solid anchor point in the water, hold that position, and pull your body "over" it.  If you are focusing on quick hands, you will have the tendency to slice your hand through the water.  Some coaches will have you do sculling drills to get the feel of the water pressure on your hands and forearms.  The fist drill will also give you feed back on feeling water pressure on your forearms.  You should try to feel as much resistance on your hand and forearm as possible and the leverage your body (with your lats and core) over your arm.
2013-05-01 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4722349

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
switch - 2013-05-01 11:38 AM

Nice.  My coach describes a good catch and pull using that exact ladder analogy.  Cool that's what you chose to describe it.

Thats kind of cool.  It was really the only way that I could describe what I was feeling.  Well, sounds like I have the confirmation that I was looking for.  Now to just practice, practice, practice.  Hopefully I can keep that feeling of the good catch and pull when I am going at a bit slower of a pace.   Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming if you have anything to add

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think I finally felt a good catch and pull Rss Feed