General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should this bike cost?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-04 10:40 AM

Subject: What should this bike cost??

Checking out Craigslist to get a bike. A good road bike I can use for tris may be the way to go for me... 

Cervelo Soloist Team S1 Road Bike

Frame is 2007, all components are 2012.

The bike was recently fully upgraded: new Sram Rival group, Mavic Cosmic wheelset, new tires, FSA handlebar and more.

What would you think the price would/should be? What questions should I ask?

Thanks!!!

2013-05-04 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4727146

Subject: RE: What should this bike cost??
Ballpark??
2013-05-04 5:42 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
$600-900... but it all depends on the condition.

Before you even start asking questions of the seller, ask yourself this first... does it fit YOU?

Mavic Cosmic are basically very sturdy (and very heavy) aluminum wheels, that are really not that aerodynamic (they look the part though). As training wheels, they're great!

Things you should ask:
How many miles on the components?
Is the steerer tube cut, if so, how much room is left for upward movement? (unless you know that you need the stem to be slammed)
What kind of maintenance/cleaning has been done?
Has the bike been crashed (could be the reason why the components were replaced...)?
Is the seller the original owner? (if not, you basically have no idea how the first owner treated the bike...)

Then you need to take a very close look at the bike. There should be no dents and no major scratches (a bike from 2007 will have some superficial scratches, but as long as it's not through the paint, you'' be fine). Look at the components, especially the wear parts (cassette, chainrings, chain, brake pads), they may show signs of wear, which is ok, but not excessive wear (which is an indication that it may not have been properly maintained).
2013-05-07 8:23 AM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
I'd guess around $1100. That's a solid bike. I did a quick search and I think his asking price is too high. If you're adding up the cost of the parts, I would assume that the seller didn't purchase the Rival components new at retail, but rather they came off another bike he purchased. I'd estimate something like $350 frame, $650 components, $200 wheels. And I guess I need a -$100 one year of use depreciation in there, too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should this bike cost?? Rss Feed